Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Title questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanGoghBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Title questions Reply with quote

I just got a very rough 78 bus that has a title. I was looking parts and found a bus that is in nice shape but no title. I would love to just transfer the title from the bad bus to the better one instead of cutting up a good body to fix the titled bus. Is this possible? I know it happens all the time with beetle bc you can just switch chassis, but haven’t seen that on buses...
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Title questions Reply with quote

I’ve seen it done by criminals before
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VanGoghBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Title questions Reply with quote

Yeah not trying to do anything illegal....just part out a great parts bus and us the title for one that should be saved and not parted out..
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Title questions Reply with quote

Just try and get a clear title for the better bus. Although it could be stolen so better figure that out too.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
giftshopduane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Title questions Reply with quote

Nobody is going to answer this truthfully in an open forum.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Title questions Reply with quote

Here in TN all I did was go to register the bus and apply with an extra form that said the title was lost. I just needed the sellers name and address on the form. No signature.

In our case, very old vehicles, or vehicles that sold for under $3k do it as listed above. Newer cars or more than $3k have a different procedure.

Just call your DMV and ask how to register with a lost title. I did have to pay the taxes and register the vehicle as an antique. Only cause it might be a few years til I actually drive and I did not want to keep paying the DMV for a shell that I am working on.

But when it is drivable, I just add the tag and drive.

Just call.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Wed May 16, 2018 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Title questions Reply with quote

You can call and have DMV run the VIN# to see if the vehicle is stolen.

Apply for a lost Title
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_keywords=lost+title&search_forum=1

Good luck
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Title questions Reply with quote

Every state is different, contact your local DMV and see what it would take to register the better body.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Title questions Reply with quote

Round these parts you can apply for an abandoned title.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Title questions Reply with quote

I'll answer it truthfully. The lawyer fees to get out of jail will be more than what it would cost you to buy the nicest bus on the forum.
VanGoghBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Title questions Reply with quote

Thanks! Anyone know how to get a lost title from Ohio? I have a bill of sale from a guy in KY. I only asked all this because of seeing it happen all the time with beetles just having their chassis changed out. For example a 66 chassis with a 55 body because the 55 doesn’t have a title. For sure don’t want to do anything illegal!!!
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Title questions Reply with quote

VanGoghBus wrote:
Thanks! Anyone know how to get a lost title from Ohio? I have a bill of sale from a guy in KY. I only asked all this because of seeing it happen all the time with beetles just having their chassis changed out. For example a 66 chassis with a 55 body because the 55 doesn’t have a title. For sure don’t want to do anything illegal!!!

Dude everyone has been saying call the DMV and get the form to file a lost title.

If I had to take a guess, I'd call the DMV and ask about the form to file for a lost title.

Maybe it would also be beneficial, while you're on the phone, to call the DMV and ask.

Have you tried calling the DMV and asking?

Also, as mentioned, the rules vary by state...so call your DMV and ask.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Title questions Reply with quote

You can also GOOGLE it.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1SFXN_enUS502U...mp;bih=572

At this point, I believe you should consider yourself the "title owner".

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They have an internet form. Just start filling it out, you may not have to call. One question jumped out, you need proof of prior title. Putting "purchased from KY" might suffice. If the registration happens to be in the glove box, use that.
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Title questions Reply with quote

Have you tried calling the DMV?

Lol
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Title questions Reply with quote

Mispeld wrote:
Have you tried calling the DMV?

Lol

I thought about it. Rolling Eyes
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Title questions Reply with quote

Did someone say Vermont?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Title questions Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I'll answer it truthfully. The lawyer fees to get out of jail will be more than what it would cost you to buy the nicest bus on the forum.

There you go, honesty in type.
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Title questions Reply with quote

VanGoghBus wrote:

Buses don't have a pan like a Bug.

My 1968 Campmobile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: