Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 Bay Window one year only list FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

Looks like neat install, but I have never found it necessary on mine, and I am 6'4" . And that is after 350,000 miles of driving, with plenty of repairs and the ups.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

crownline wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My 1972 one year only option. Didn't they all come this way?
Laughing Wink

Very nice. Good to hear from another upstater, too...down near Albany.
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

I also hope you replaced that 90* rubber in the middle there? Probably a good idea to replace all connections with ethanol resistant hose.
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

now was 72 the last year of a kombi to have the short headliner. i don't recall every seeing a late kombi 73-79 with a short headliner.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atomicmime wrote:
I doubt there are very many '72s still running around that have the lenses they originally came with from the factory. Can anyone find an original photo of any kind of U.S. model pre-73 VW that had amber turn signals?

My '72 Sportsmobile had what I believe are the original tail light lenses, and they had amber/red/white.

1967250s wrote:
Was a T4 ever a Eurupean option or stock in a Bay?

Yes, there was. The Swedes, in particular, were fond of the 2.0-L FI Type IV engine. I believe Ratwell's '76 double cab had one.

As for other '72-only stuff: I just noticed that the plate holding up the insulation above the engine compartment is metal, not fiberboard like the later ones.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
atomicmime wrote:
I doubt there are very many '72s still running around that have the lenses they originally came with from the factory. Can anyone find an original photo of any kind of U.S. model pre-73 VW that had amber turn signals?

My '72 Sportsmobile had what I believe are the original tail light lenses, and they had amber/red/white.

1967250s wrote:
Was a T4 ever a Eurupean option or stock in a Bay?

Yes, there was. The Swedes, in particular, were fond of the 2.0-L FI Type IV engine. I believe Ratwell's '76 double cab had one.

As for other '72-only stuff: I just noticed that the plate holding up the insulation above the engine compartment is metal, not fiberboard like the later ones.

I haven't looked at many other busses to see what they have, but can confirm the plate above the engine holding the insulation is metal in mine too.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

galencurrington wrote:
now was 72 the last year of a kombi to have the short headliner. i don't recall every seeing a late kombi 73-79 with a short headliner.

Short headliner in commercial models right up to the end of 79.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

196725s :Yes about the fuel lines. That is one of the reasons I made the hatch in the first place. Made it so easy to take firewall out and change All the hoses including filler hose.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

Mine came with Amber tail lenses. Reminder- '72 has the machine threads on the tail lenses going into a brass insert in the bulb housing. Later they used a plastic/wood type screw thread going into plain plastic bosses. Lots of inserts have probably been damaged over the years as the old worn out lenses lost their nicely made screws, and incorrect screws were used.
larsje
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

When exactly (date/chassis numer) did the engine lid change mid year? Wondering if originally my 72 came with a "72" or later lid.
jmueller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window one year only list FAQ - Bumper Brackets Reply with quote

I am working on a 1972 VW Bus restore, and am trying to find replacements for bumper brackets. Specifically, I am trying to figure out what the side rear brackets (left rear side, and right rear side) would be, as I can't seem to find reference to them. The closest I can find to reference these brackets would be for splash pans for the rear bumper. However, I am not sure about that.

See attached pictures of the brackets I am referring to. Note: They are bent (and thus why I am trying to find replacements for them).

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

- JM

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window one year only list FAQ - Bumper Brackets Reply with quote

jmueller wrote:
I am working on a 1972 VW Bus restore, and am trying to find replacements for bumper brackets. Specifically, I am trying to figure out what the side rear brackets (left rear side, and right rear side) would be, as I can't seem to find reference to them. The closest I can find to reference these brackets would be for splash pans for the rear bumper. However, I am not sure about that.

See attached pictures of the brackets I am referring to. Note: They are bent (and thus why I am trying to find replacements for them).

- JM
[img]pics[/img]

Welcome!
Some 72's had pans, some just those brackets, I can only guess whoever was supplying the pans couldn't keep up with production at VW. The pans are 1 year only but those brackets are the same on all 68-72 pans, drill a couple spot welds and you have the brackets loose. Myself I'd straighten out yours, they don't look all that bad.

Have a look at this: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=265685&highlight=bumper+pans

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
jmueller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window one year only list FAQ - Bumper Brackets Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Welcome!
Some 72's had pans, some just those brackets, I can only guess whoever was supplying the pans couldn't keep up with production at VW. The pans are 1 year only but those brackets are the same on all 68-72 pans, drill a couple spot welds and you have the brackets loose. Myself I'd straighten out yours, they don't look all that bad.

Have a look at this: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=265685&highlight=bumper+pans

Thanks. I have taken a look at the thread you linked to; very much appreciated.

It looks like it would be best to work with these current brackets, bend them into shape, clean them up, and use them accordingly.

Now I am trying to figure out the rear bumper situation, as the front and rear I have are dinged up. I am working through the options of either spending time to fix the existing ones up or going with a stainless steel options (or chrome option). What are your thoughts on that? If going with a new one, would you go with the stainless steel?

- JM
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window one year only list FAQ - Bumper Brackets Reply with quote

jmueller wrote:
It looks like it would be best to work with these current brackets, bend them into shape, clean them up, and use them accordingly.

Now I am trying to figure out the rear bumper situation, as the front and rear I have are dinged up. I am working through the options of either spending time to fix the existing ones up or going with a stainless steel options (or chrome option). What are your thoughts on that? If going with a new one, would you go with the stainless steel?

- JM

Hmmm......, well painted bumpers allow for quite a bit of bodywork, just how bad are yours?. You might also ask some local chrome shops if they straighten bumpers, many used to offer that service at a very good price, with the advent of plastic it's a dying art, but some may still do it. Here's another option: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1438638 , I haven't seen his work so that's not an endorsement, check his feedback. The stainless ones do look nice, but I'm not a fan of shiny bumpers on a bus so I've never looked that hard at them, I did deal with a set of Datsun bumpers from the same supplier recently and they were as good as can be, and less $ than having the originals straightened and rechromed.

You sound like there's many more questions to follow, perhaps start a build thread and introduce yourself and your bus, post some pictures too.

Слава Україні!
jmueller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window one year only list FAQ - Bumper Brackets Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Hmmm......, well painted bumpers allow for quite a bit of bodywork, just how bad are yours?. You might also ask some local chrome shops if they straighten bumpers, many used to offer that service at a very good price, with the advent of plastic it's a dying art, but some may still do it. Here's another option: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1438638 , I haven't seen his work so that's not an endorsement, check his feedback. The stainless ones do look nice, but I'm not a fan of shiny bumpers on a bus so I've never looked that hard at them, I did deal with a set of Datsun bumpers from the same supplier recently and they were as good as can be, and less $ than having the originals straightened and rechromed.

You sound like there's many more questions to follow, perhaps start a build thread and introduce yourself and your bus, post some pictures too.

Thanks. I will look into starting a thread for the 72 build, as I have a bunch of questions, and am slowly learning. Smile

The reason for the chrome or stainless steel bumpers is because the bus is having a patina look. For the pictures that I posted with the left / right rear brackets, you can see the look I am going after. That rust and bare metal patches are actually done on purpose to get that patina look. The rubber and other fixtures, like the bumper, are going to be clean and "new" looking to accent the patina look. It will be different....

- JM
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window one year only list FAQ - Bumper Brackets Reply with quote

jmueller wrote:

- JM

I got mine from https://www.alanhschofield.com/ they are based in the UK
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window one year only list FAQ Reply with quote

Some pictures of parts. The rear corner are one year only for the splash pans. The back of the frame is slightly different with different brackets. I cut two sections out. The 72 is the really rotted section. I also have the half year only 72 decklid. One years only air cleaner and engine insulation. The rear clip next to the 72 is from a 73. The 72 has the angle piece of metal

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J4yman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window one year only list FAQ Reply with quote

Hi, I am wondering what door guides can I fit on my 1972 crossover. They seem to be upto 71 and 73 onwards. I don't see any for 72. Can anyone confirm what they should be or even if they are a thing on a 72. Mine aren't there and it's a new van to me so don't know if they were ever on there. No holes on the body or hatch to refer to.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window one year only list FAQ Reply with quote

J4yman wrote:
Hi, I am wondering what door guides can I fit on my 1972 crossover. They seem to be upto 71 and 73 onwards. I don't see any for 72. Can anyone confirm what they should be or even if they are a thing on a 72. Mine aren't there and it's a new van to me so don't know if they were ever on there. No holes on the body or hatch to refer to.

Welcome!
Do you mean the alignment pads on the rear hatch?, they disappeared in Aug 71 when the hinges changed.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: