Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diesel baja, ways to go about it?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DB556
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Diesel baja, ways to go about it? Reply with quote

Well, I've always wanted a diesel baja bug.

Now since I'm working on my bug engine need to rebuild the bugspray carb, it might just be the time.
I have a few 1.6NA diesels as backups for my VW caddy. And I have a line on a 1.6TD need to go see the guy about it.

But before any work I need to think about the transmission. And I think I've seen a few ways to do it.

I machine a adapter on my cnc router out of stack of 1/2 aluminum plates. Downside, time to design it, effort.

I know I can get a Kennedy adapter, for my IRS box.
Downside, cost $600ish, still have a IRS 002

Now I've also seen in a another diesel baja thread of getting a bus transmission and used the bellhousing from a VW dasher. Since they came with the 1.6 stock.
Downside need to get a bus trany(some downside Very Happy ) and find a dasher trans

Now I'm been thinking, about dasher, quantum, fox transmissions, very much like a bug/bus transmission, but the engine is pointing the wrong direction doh! But then I started thinking. You can flip the ring gear in a dual cover bus box, for reverse running engines like a convair.

Do you guys think it would be possible to flip the ring gear? or some how convert the fox/Dasher/Quantum box to run in the baja bug/
DB556
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel baja, ways to go about it? Reply with quote

Well did some snooping around craigslist found a $100 dasher transmission,
And a $400 5 rib so slightly cheaper than kennedy, and I could use stock VW 1.6 flywheels/clutches. Now to just see if this would even work?
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel baja, ways to go about it? Reply with quote

This will be interesting to watch. Keep going
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel baja, ways to go about it? Reply with quote

From fan pulley/water pump end of diesel, if it rotates clockwise (same as AC VW) there is no need to flip ring gear in transaxle...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
DB556
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel baja, ways to go about it? Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
From fan pulley/water pump end of diesel, if it rotates clockwise (same as AC VW) there is no need to flip ring gear in transaxle...

Dale

Dale, I was thinking about the ring gear flip in the Dasher/Fox transmission since that was FWD. That was if I made the mounts to just swap in the dasher/fox trans instead of stealing its bellhousing.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel baja, ways to go about it? Reply with quote

DB556 wrote:
Dale M. wrote:

Dale

Dale, I was thinking about the ring gear flip in the Dasher/Fox transmission since that was FWD. That was if I made the mounts to just swap in the dasher/fox trans instead of stealing its bellhousing.

I believe in the end you will have a lot less grief just going with KEP adapter or DIY adapter... You will have suspension issues trying to mate FWD transaxle to RWD Baja and it will just get more bizarre from there.... Most times a project will get more expensive (time and money) the more modifications you have to put into it....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel baja, ways to go about it? Reply with quote

There are diesel bell housings for the VW type II transaxles.
Vanagons used them on 091,094 transaxles and can be used on and earlier 002 Bus trans.
I don't know if you have to use a different mainshaft to make it work.
Contact Weddle Industries
https://weddleindustries.com/search/site/diesel%20bell%20housing
Scroll the page down and you will see them.
They have them new and used and either in aluminum or magnesium.
It does lay the engine over.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel baja, ways to go about it? Reply with quote

Are you planning on changing the r&p to work with the diesel?...top speed will be very low, like 55mph. Think
DB556
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel baja, ways to go about it? Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
DB556 wrote:
Dale M. wrote:

Dale

I believe in the end you will have a lot less grief just going with KEP adapter or DIY adapter... You will have suspension issues trying to mate FWD transaxle to RWD Baja and it will just get more bizarre from there.... Most times a project will get more expensive (time and money) the more modifications you have to put into it....

Dale

I went and looked at the fox trany it wouldn't work with a ring flip.
Now the dasher bellhousing swap still looks like it might work.

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
There are diesel bell housings for the VW type II transaxles.
Vanagons used them on 091,094 transaxles and can be used on and earlier 002 Bus trans.
I don't know if you have to use a different mainshaft to make it work.
Contact Weddle Industries
https://weddleindustries.com/search/site/diesel%20bell%20housing
Scroll the page down and you will see them.
They have them new and used and either in aluminum or magnesium.
It does lay the engine over.

I've thought about the vanagon diesel bellhousings, but I think the angle might be a problem getting it into a bug, but I'll mock something up and see.
Thanks for the link I've never saw that website the prices are good for the parts.

veeweeman wrote:
Are you planning on changing the r&p to work with the diesel?...top speed will be very low, like 55mph. Think

It should be fine, the little 1.6 vw diesels rev high vs normal diesels.
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel baja, ways to go about it? Reply with quote

This bell housing would work for you:

https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000287/1000915

It's from a mexican bus with watercooled in-line 4 and it's angled at 15 degrees instead of 50 like the Vanagon.
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel baja, ways to go about it? Reply with quote

vwfreek61 wrote:

It's from a mexican bus with watercooled in-line 4 and it's angled at 15 degrees instead of 50 like the Vanagon.

That is cool info for sure. ..like $300 bucks cheaper than a Kennedy adapter Applause
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel baja, ways to go about it? Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:
vwfreek61 wrote:

That is cool info for sure. ..like $300 bucks cheaper than a Kennedy adapter Applause

Aaand, you can use the 228mm clutch instead of the 200mm clutch that you would be limited to with the Kennedy kit.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel baja, ways to go about it? Reply with quote

I'm ordering one of those bell housing for TDI for my project. ..those will also work for VR6, 1.8T and 2.0...pretty much most of the VW water cooled engine group.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel baja, ways to go about it? Reply with quote

Sooo....not to rain on anyone's parade but in order to use that deep type 2 Mexican bell housing you also will need a extra long input shaft as well. ..Weddleindustries.com Web site says that they are out of stock on the input shafts. ...they also informed me that it will be at least 8-10 months before they will have a new production run. ..bummer Crying or Very sad
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel baja, ways to go about it? Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:
I'm ordering one of those bell housing for TDI for my project. ..those will also work for VR6, 1.8T and 2.0...pretty much most of the VW water cooled engine group.

VR6 will not fit as it has a different bolt pattern for both the flywheel & the block, all VW inline 4 will.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel baja, ways to go about it? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
veeweeman wrote:

VR6 will not fit as it has a different bolt pattern for both the flywheel & the block, all VW inline 4 will.

That's funny cuz I just watched a video today that said to use the VR6 /G60 flywheel (SMF) for the TDI in replacement of the DMF on the TDI. ...so the flywheel is the same but the housing bolt up is different? ...thanks for the info, I'm still learning this stuff. Embarassed
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel baja, ways to go about it? Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
veeweeman wrote:

That's funny cuz I just watched a video today that said to use the VR6 /G60 flywheel (SMF) for the TDI in replacement of the DMF on the TDI. ...so the flywheel is the same but the housing bolt up is different? ...thanks for the info, I'm still learning this stuff. Embarassed

They mean using the VR6 clutch & pressure plate (which has a heavier spring rate/clamping force with the G60 flywheel (solid mass flywheel that bolts to the 4 cylinder crank.). But that’s for use in the Golf/Jetta to eliminate the dual mass flywheel. For the TDI onto the bus/Vanagon swap, you would need the G60 flywheel, the VR6 pressure plate, then the late Vanagon 228 clutch disc (Smaller input shaft than the Golf/Jetta.)

veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel baja, ways to go about it? Reply with quote

Just ordered the bell housing and longer input shaft. ..$400+ shipping. ..being curious about this factory vw bell housing, I did a YouTube search and found a video that explains about this odd creation.
https://youtu.be/JiQ07mxaZ7w

Even though the '69 Bay Window was at a end in the US, they continued improving the Bay and kept it in production until 2013 Shocked ...wow. ..the video narrator is in English. ..pretty amazing to see the front end with a radiator grill.

Also, here is another link about the VR6 flywheel for TDI
https://youtu.be/EmlFGMCkrAA
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel baja, ways to go about it? Reply with quote

The video is indeed misleading, it seems to suggest that the VR6/G60 flywheel is the same but it definitely is not. The G60 flywheel allows the use of the VR6 clutch on the 4 cylinder engines. The G60 flywheel uses 6 bolts to mate to the crankshaft whereas the VR6 uses 10.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel baja, ways to go about it? Reply with quote

Thanks, I've been out of the water cooled scene for a while. ..last car I had was a 16v Scirocco back in 2004. Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: