Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW engine a 912 while 912 is being rebuilt
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dub Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: VW engine a 912 while 912 is being rebuilt Reply with quote

While my engine is out of my 912 to be rebuilt I need to move the the car around. and get other cars in and out.
Id like to fit a beetle engine I have but need a support for the back of the engine.

tin wear wise im not so worried as im not planning to have it running for more than 5 min at a time, although if there was something i could fit Im sure id drive it.

I need something that is already made as I dont have the option of cutting and drilling bits of angle iron to make brackets. Im hoping that someone already makes parts to do this.

Thanks Gavin
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engine a 912 while 912 is being rebuilt Reply with quote

The VW motor will need the three threaded bosses (68-71 VW Bus motor or universal case) and use your rear mount bar with a adaptor plate. I would just support the trans with a strap and push it around if I didn't have the correct VW case.
Dub Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: VW engine a 912 while 912 is being rebuilt Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
The VW motor will need the three threaded bosses (68-71 VW Bus motor or universal case) and use your rear mount bar with a adaptor plate. I would just support the trans with a strap and push it around if I didn't have the correct VW case.

I dont have the option to push it about as all my engine money will go on getting my back fixed. Trying to push uphill down the side the house through a gap not much wider than the car is a recipe for damaged paintwork.

I may get a bus support bar and look at adapting to fit to the porsche bar. I was hoping that someone would make an adapter plate that I can buy to fit without any fabrication work.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engine a 912 while 912 is being rebuilt Reply with quote

Go to the top of this forum where is says "search this topic" and type in "VW engine into 912" and you will find where others have done it.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engine a 912 while 912 is being rebuilt Reply with quote

It will be easy if your 912 is the right year! You won't need the tin if you are not going to drive it on the freeway. But I think the later 912e was a type 4 engine like the late bay windows bus engine. The 912 I have seen did have a rear mount and you will likely be able to use some of the 912 parts to make a bolt together temporary rigging to mount it to the back of the bug engine. But Not sure the 65-66-67 may not need the rear mount?
The bug engine needs to have the same flywheel size though. Not sure what years 912 may all be 12 volts, VW changed between 66-67. What years are we talking about? What letters does your VW engine serial number start with?I think a 1968-1971 bug & Bus engines & Type 3's with universal cases rear mount holes will work on the 1965-1969 912 that need a rear mount depends on the transmission. There is a $14 adaptor if your bug engine is not a rear mount case that will work for what you're doing. If you have an old 40 horse or single port bug engine or something you may need a different clutch and starter to make it work you may be able to run a 356 flywheel or something.
Maybe find out more about this one. Looks like they use the 68-71 VW Bus Mustache Bar for the rear mount. Maybe ask these guys? 12 volt starter and flywheel question.
If your 912 is a 912e then ????
Dub Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engine a 912 while 912 is being rebuilt Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
It will be easy if your 912 is the right year! You won't need the tin if you are not going to drive it on the freeway. But I think the later 912e was a type 4 engine like the late bay windows bus engine. The 912 I have seen did have a rear mount and you will likely be able to use some of the 912 parts to make a bolt together temporary rigging to mount it to the back of the bug engine. But Not sure the 65-66-67 may not need the rear mount?
The bug engine needs to have the same flywheel size though. Not sure what years 912 may all be 12 volts, VW changed between 66-67. What years are we talking about? What letters does your VW engine serial number start with?I think a 1968-1971 bug & Bus engines & Type 3's with universal cases rear mount holes will work on the 1965-1969 912 that need a rear mount depends on the transmission. There is a $14 adaptor if your bug engine is not a rear mount case that will work for what you're doing. If you have an old 40 horse or single port bug engine or something you may need a different clutch and starter to make it work you may be able to run a 356 flywheel or something.
Maybe find out more about this one. Looks like they use the 68-71 VW Bus Mustache Bar for the rear mount. Maybe ask these guys? 12 volt starter and flywheel question.
If your 912 is a 912e then ????

Hi its a 67 912, the adapter you mention looks liit will hel even on a late vw engine as i can easily weld some angle to it.

Not the sort of thing for a perminant fit but will do for making mobile.

problem solved.

Thanks
914werke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engine a 912 while 912 is being rebuilt Reply with quote

How about a 912E engine complete?
I know a guy with one FS Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: