Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'76ish Chenowth rail
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkrooLoose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: '76ish Chenowth rail Reply with quote

Found on a local selling site for $600

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

we couldnt get it running because it was missing QUITE a few integral parts....
SkrooLoose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '76ish Chenowth rail Reply with quote

Day 3
i found LOTS of cancer Crying or Very sad

got the console section tore out and cleaned up

veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: '76ish Chenowth rail Reply with quote

You can get buggy wiring harness from Amazon.com. ...got one for my buddies Empi Sportster I think for like $79 bucks. ...I have never seen such a mess of wires like that before in a buggy. ...looks like you got it cleaned up pretty good now...are you going to replace the entire floor or just do a repair? ...if it were mine, I would install 1/8" aluminum floor...motor looks to be solid though, I hope it runs as good as it looks. Cool
SkrooLoose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '76ish Chenowth rail Reply with quote

I think I'm gonna go with the aluminum diamond plate idea. I love wiring and mechanics so I believe I'll be doing the wiring and fab work myself (for now)
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '76ish Chenowth rail Reply with quote

1/16" diamond plate is PLENTY.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkrooLoose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: '76ish Chenowth rail Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
1/16" diamond plate is PLENTY.

We have 4'x8'x1/8" plates that get damaged periodically at work that I can snag for scrap weight....i just havto be patient
SkrooLoose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: '76ish Chenowth rail Reply with quote

Got the rest of the floor cleaned up last night and the 3 rotted frame rails replaced

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: '76ish Chenowth rail Reply with quote

Weld in some tabs to bolt the floor to and then shim it down a tad to keep stuff from collecting between frame/floor.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: '76ish Chenowth rail Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Weld in some tabs to bolt the floor to and then shim it down a tad to keep stuff from collecting between frame/floor.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Mine has 1.5" holes for drainage too.

One of the considerations for a thinner floor panel is lighter weight. A floor panel made of 1/8" steel is going to be VERY HEAVY. Part of what makes a VW based buggy so good is light weight.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkrooLoose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '76ish Chenowth rail Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:

Was thinking that today when I was "working"
Little L brackets with some snap clips would work perfectly
Like these:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-45422?seid=...jwQAvD_BwE
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '76ish Chenowth rail Reply with quote

My Hi Jumper has floor tabs made of 1" angle iron, cut in 1" long (you could look at it as "wide) pieces. The clip nuts are a good idea. So the angle iron is 1" x 1" x 1".
SoCalBajas Member
SkrooLoose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: '76ish Chenowth rail Reply with quote

Thinking about calling it "ruin" Question
SkrooLoose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '76ish Chenowth rail Reply with quote

Donno why, but the cage just bugged me....so I cut it off

REALLY glad I tore into it because I probably would have died if I rolled it

It was welded....almost half way around the tubes and on the drivers side head rail was barely adhered in 2 spots
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '76ish Chenowth rail Reply with quote

That does not look right for a Chenowth at all. This is what the top of the cage should look like. Mine is original in that area.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: '76ish Chenowth rail Reply with quote

^ and that is why I did new a@b hoops. No more banging my head on tubing, and the front hoop is tall enough to see under. And I wanted to mount my seats above the bottom rails instead of below.
SkrooLoose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: '76ish Chenowth rail Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
That does not look right for a Chenowth at all. This is what the top of the cage should look like. Mine is original in that area.

Oh yeah I know, what instantly gave that away is when I sit in it I could look out over the top of the cage Laughing

I have 2 different ideas for the cage already but I won't know the one to pick yet
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '76ish Chenowth rail Reply with quote

Idea
Quote:
Oh yeah I know, what instantly gave that away is when I sit in it I could look out over the top of the cage Laughing

I have 2 different ideas for the cage already but I won't know the one to pick yet

Start off, before you redo the roll cage. Get a different set of seats that don't put your ass so far above the floor. Those are quite tall under your butt and put you up high in the car. That's why you were looking out the roof. At least get poly seats like:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2155932

Shop around for them. Jegs and Summit have them as well as all the VW supply shops. There are other pairs on sale in the Classifieds right now too.

Lots of folks will tell you to get suspension seats, some will tell you DON'T get suspension seats. But you're obviously NOT going to race the Baja 1000 in this buggy. Poly seats will be fine.

Put in 1" x .095 square or round cross tubes juts in front of and just behind the seat bottom with tabs to attach the bottoms of the seats so the seats are flat against the floor. That will give headroom and be pretty comfy. Although comfort is a very personal thing. Some love one kind of seat. Others HATE the same seat. To each his own.

DON'T pass shoulder belts through the slots in the seat back. That's not what they're for in the standard poly seats as shown. Shoulder belts that low are likely to cause spinal compression, even when you don't crash. SOME have the slots up high for shoulder belts. The frame SHOULD have a shoulder bar up about even with your shoulders when you're in the seats you're gonna stick with. The belts CAN mount low, but then they should pass over that bar before they go forward over your shoulders.
SoCalBajas Member
SkrooLoose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '76ish Chenowth rail Reply with quote

I was looking thro the poly seats today, has anyone used the sliders? I have a...."vertically challenged" wife that may want to drive ruin one day
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '76ish Chenowth rail Reply with quote

The sliders my son bought from a VW supply didn't fit his poly seats. He had to fabricate adapters. That raised the seats.

I wasn't impressed.
SoCalBajas Member
SkrooLoose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '76ish Chenowth rail Reply with quote

IT'S ALIVE
https://youtu.be/tVCjE_IMyfY
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: