Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Compatibility
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueWeasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Westy Compatibility Reply with quote

Can a Vanagon Westy top be used on a Bay?

I've not managed to find a Westfalia top for a Bay that doesn't cost $8500 with install so I thought I'd see if it can be salvaged from the more common Vanagon hulks.
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Compatibility Reply with quote

Hello, I'll say no on that one.
$8500 for putting a pop top on?? Are you trying to make a tin top into an westy???. sectioning a new roof to the body?
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Compatibility Reply with quote

Nope.
BlueWeasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Compatibility Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:
Hello, I'll say no on that one.
$8500 for putting a pop top on?? Are you trying to make a tin top into an westy???. sectioning a new roof to the body?

Sites offering tin top to Westy conversions, yes.

If there's someone that just sells the tops, supports, and whatnot my Googling hasn't found them yet.
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Compatibility Reply with quote

Have you tried the Classifieds on this site?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Compatibility Reply with quote

Wasn't Werksburg making them at one point?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlueWeasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Compatibility Reply with quote

coolerthanelvis wrote:
Have you tried the Classifieds on this site?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

I keep forgetting that there's a split between parts and vehicles here.
There's some good leads there, thanks.
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Compatibility Reply with quote

Hello,
The year split/difference in pop tops are 68-72 then 73-79. So what ever year your bus is, stay in that group so your top opens the correct way. Well, if that matters to you.... and the air ducts changed in 72 so that could effect the splicing/matting of the top if they are doing splice at the post....
I had to buy a new pop top piece for my bus(long story) but, the one I found was a complete top section like you are looking for a conversion. It was $900. They are out there..
Heck, $8500 for a top swap, I may have to get back into body work....
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Compatibility Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:

That may be for installing a Spaceroof, shipping from the UK and parts cost may be a factor, or they are just hosing him for spiffing up a $200 junkyard find.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
BlueWeasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Compatibility Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:
Hello,
The year split/difference in pop tops are 68-72 then 73-79. So what ever year your bus is, stay in that group so your top opens the correct way. Well, if that matters to you.... and the air ducts changed in 72 so that could effect the splicing/matting of the top if they are doing splice at the post....
I had to buy a new pop top piece for my bus(long story) but, the one I found was a complete top section like you are looking for a conversion. It was $900. They are out there..

Thanks. I'm still searching for a bus. Was trying to figure if I could salvage one from a Vanagon to a Bay. Fortunately I think I've got the info I need ahead of making any purchases. Very Happy Really appreciate the insight!
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Compatibility Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Angus II wrote:

That may be for installing a Spaceroof, shipping from the UK and parts cost may be a factor, or they are just hosing him for spiffing up a $200 junkyard find.

Hello,
Junk yard find, funny you say that.
I was just going to have him look at the post "1974 Westfalia Junk Yard". That kid may have what he wants, but he is in Wisconsin...
Have the kid cut the roof off and go get it, Texas to Wisconsin isn't that far...
I'd just deal with the bus being what it is, a tin top... if you want a pop top westy buy one, don't make one...
Have Fun... Yet, keep it simple...
BlueWeasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Compatibility Reply with quote

If I buy a tin top, it won't remain a tin top.

If I have to settle (best price/opportunity) for a high top it DAMN SURE won't remain a high top. Those are abominations and I'm short.
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Compatibility Reply with quote

Hello, ??? WTF...
Hell, there you go big boy.. Buy an Original pop top Westfalia then. Save yourself some money and hassle. And, our time.
Why did you start this post/thread, if you don't have the bus in the first place?(to do a roof swap on).
I don't follow you.
But Hell Yea, you are 100% correct for sure; a Vanagon roof will fit on top of a baywindow bus just fine:wink: Wink .... Heck, so will a bug for that fact. I've seen them.
You can hack anything together, you just have to have that "vision" first..... Have fun with your virtual bus.
BlueWeasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Compatibility Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:
Hello, ??? WTF...
Hell, there you go big boy.. Buy an Original pop top Westfalia then. Save yourself some money and hassle. And, our time.
Why did you start this post/thread, if you don't have the bus in the first place?(to do a roof swap on).
I don't follow you.
But Hell Yea, you are 100% correct for sure; a Vanagon roof will fit on top of a baywindow bus just fine:wink: Wink .... Heck, so will a bug for that fact. I've seen them.
You can hack anything together, you just have to have that "vision" first..... Have fun with your virtual bus.

I could have predicted this would go from helpful to grognard.

As the VERY FIRST post indicated I was trying to determine if there was a different size between Bays and Vanagons. But as soon as someone brings up cutting (that's perceived as unnecessary) on a bus all civility goes out the window.

There are scrap Vanagons from time to time.
There are scrap Bays from time to time.
There are intact Vanagons around. There are intact Bays around.

Sometimes there's a scrap candidate with a Westy and an intact without that aren't the same chassis.

So I was trying to figure out if I can buy the top from whichever scrap one I find and use it in either scenario for an intact purchase.

It's now clear that I cannot. At least you were helpful long enough for me to get the info I need so I can make the fantasy a reality.

Jerk.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Compatibility Reply with quote

This thread went south fast. Shocked

Width of bay window bus 67.7”

Width of Vanagon 72.6”

Legit question even though most of us know the answer. BlueWeasel. Dont get butt hurt and tap out. All these guys will help. Even the people that get feisty or sarcastic. However, “High tops” are cool. Not my thing. But high tops are very cool. They are not abominations. Just different. Like people. Same same but different Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: