Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 15 Window resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Another pat on the back for ya. Love your attention to detail. I feel like I need to blow the grinding dust out of my nose. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

zuggbug wrote:
Impeccable work

Thanks zugbug! Much appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Another pat on the back for ya. Love your attention to detail. I feel like I need to blow the grinding dust out of my nose. Wink

It is sometimes difficult getting up early, knowing that there is 2 hours of grinding waiting for me. I ground down 81 spots yesterday morning. It is a drag, but nice to see the "finished" area.
Thanks
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
ryans65 wrote:
I'm sure you can't wait to get that floor in and give it the obligatory smack with your hand so you know it's real! That was a good day for me when I could pound my fist on the floor and I wasn't afraid it was going to come through the the other side Laughing

That will be an awesome moment. It blows my mind to think where we started compared to where we are today. Unreal 🤯

Had lots of mile stones building my bus. Installing the floors are some of the most memerable. Feels like you have really accomplished something. Looks like you are going to run out of metal work to do soon. Smile

I keep thinking with my shrunken pile of replacement metal, that I'm over the hump. Then I remind myself of the roof, and all of the other areas needing metal work. When I have the front done, that will be remarkable to me. Everything seems to be falling together, so hopefully it will be sooner than later. We'll see.
Thanks Stan
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I got to get back on the bus this morning. I fabbed and welded the flange to the seat pedestal:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also removed the seat belt mount from the OG section:

I am hoping to get this in this evening.
That will leave the outer seat track:

I need to fabricate a plate that goes between the track and the pedestal. If I can use a piece of one of the OG seat pedestals, that is what I will do.
Vwprok37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Absolutely awesome Dave!!! Your bus is going to be one of the best buses in the northeast!! Great work man! So glad you left the bumps. I was driving my bus last night.....to get pizza. I happened to reach down and feel a nub in front of my seat!! I said out loud "I have the bump nubs, I need to let Dave know before he cuts them out!". So happy you figured it out!! By the way it was BBQ chicken pizza.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Vwprok37 wrote:
Absolutely awesome Dave!!! Your bus is going to be one of the best buses in the northeast!! Great work man! So glad you left the bumps. I was driving my bus last night.....to get pizza. I happened to reach down and feel a nub in front of my seat!! I said out loud "I have the bump nubs, I need to let Dave know before he cuts them out!". So happy you figured it out!! By the way it was BBQ chicken pizza.

Laughing
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I had a busy weekend, but was able to make some progress on the bus. Seatbelt mount:

It is finished.
Seat track:

My drivers seat is rougher than I thought. Most of the bottom tubung needs to be repaired/replaced:

It fits in nicely, though:

Other than the front floor, I am 100% done with the drivers side. Now on to the passenger side. I am driving my dad to VA in the bay window on Wednesday, so I am hoping to at least get the passenger side outer dog leg fitted and welded in tomorrow before work. I still have to pack, and prep the bus for the trip. Haha no problem.
Vwprok37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Seatbelt mount looks great! Those are next on my list of things to do! Might need to wait till after I pick up my 66 deluxe tomorrow!!!! Very Happy
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
I had a busy weekend, but was able to make some progress on the bus.
Other than the front floor, I am 100% done with the drivers side. Now on to the passenger side. I am driving my dad to VA in the bay window on Wednesday, so I am hoping to at least get the passenger side outer dog leg fitted and welded in tomorrow before work. I still have to pack, and prep the bus for the trip. Haha no problem.

Nice work as always, where in VA are you headed?
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
I had a busy weekend, but was able to make some progress on the bus.

Nice work as always, where in VA are you headed?

Thanks Ryan.
We are going to Hampton right near VA beach. My son and I went down in the bay last year for the Memorial Day BugOut. Just visiting this time.
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Vwprok37 wrote:
Seatbelt mount looks great! Those are next on my list of things to do! Might need to wait till after I pick up my 66 deluxe tomorrow!!!! Very Happy

You should start a thread on it, Justin.
Vwprok37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I agree and I will!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I just got back from a 1900+ mile road trip in the Bay Westy with my dad. We drove the bus 850 miles in one day from Maine to VA. It took slightly longer to get home, but no mechanical issues other than points needing replacement.
Good Times.
I started on the passenger side dog leg yesterday:

I have a few more spots to weld, then grind, then on to the seat pedestal.
Vwprok37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Looking soooooo good!!! Almost ready to sit inside and make vroom vroom noises!!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Vwprok37 wrote:
Looking soooooo good!!! Almost ready to sit inside and make vroom vroom noises!!

Haha! This topic has been discussed internally, and there is a plan in place. The dream is that this will be possible this weekend! I will keep you posted. Very Happy
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

The dogleg is welded in. I need to finish grinding the spots. I am not excited about the bottom gap between the door and the dogleg. I am going to try to push it into position before I weld in the seat pedistal:

Does that bumper support bracket get welded to the outer dogleg?
KWZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

oooooooh that's hot
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Yes Dave. There is a weld along the top of the brace directly to the dogleg. Love the work man Cool
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
Yes Dave. There is a weld along the top of the brace directly to the dogleg. Love the work man Cool

Tony,
I thought there was. I couldn’t imagine those brackets just hanging out there.
Thanks for the info, and have fun at El Prado.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Page 37 of 86

Jump to: