Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
TweedLinn wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
I've been working on this wonderful 1972 Sportsmobile for a few years, now, but my wife and I have decided to get a newer Sprinter 4x4 Sportsmobile. So good old Ann the Van (http://vw.tauxe.net/ann) needs to find a new home. I know we are not supposed to advertise on the forums, but I thought that since there is so much specific interest in Sportsmobiles here, that it is almost a public service to announce when a new one becomes available. Smile

Thanks to alman72 for helping so source some hard-to-find parts, like the black window trim and water tank!

You wouldn't accept payment of things like a first born would you..?

And when am I going to find that top and bottom window trim?!

I did not send you some trim? I sent it to a couple of UNITE! folks. PM me in a week or two, when the garage opens up for spring, and I will go thru my stash and see what I have left. They are OG, overspray here and there, maybe even a chip or two. do you need all around both windows, or just a select few?

You have more?! Insert drool face here... Nope I wasn't one of the chosen few unfortunately. I have the side pieces on both windows, but no tops or bottoms Sad
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

TweedLinn wrote:
alman72 wrote:
TweedLinn wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
I've been working on this wonderful 1972 Sportsmobile for a few years, now, but my wife and I have decided to get a newer Sprinter 4x4 Sportsmobile. So good old Ann the Van (http://vw.tauxe.net/ann) needs to find a new home. I know we are not supposed to advertise on the forums, but I thought that since there is so much specific interest in Sportsmobiles here, that it is almost a public service to announce when a new one becomes available. Smile

Thanks to alman72 for helping so source some hard-to-find parts, like the black window trim and water tank!

And when am I going to find that top and bottom window trim?!

I did not send you some trim? I sent it to a couple of UNITE! folks. PM me in a week or two, when the garage opens up for spring, and I will go thru my stash and see what I have left. They are OG, overspray here and there, maybe even a chip or two. do you need all around both windows, or just a select few?

You have more?! Insert drool face here... Nope I wasn't one of the chosen few unfortunately. I have the side pieces on both windows, but no tops or bottoms Sad

Once this '72 SMB sells, I will have some leftover trim, since alman72 kindly sent a bit more than I needed. PM me and I'll send it to you, since I don't need it anymore (this was my last Sportsmobile).

I swear this bus went the fastest of any I have sold! The buyer had contacted me within an hour of posting, and he is flying his mechanic to New Mexico tomorrow to check it out! If it passes inspection, it will at least have an enthusiastic owner, who has a trusted mechanic. Very Happy

TweedLinn wrote:

Nope - raised 3 kids who are all now in college. Don't really need another one. No disrespect intended. Wink
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Once this '72 SMB sells, I will have some leftover trim, since alman72 kindly sent a bit more than I needed. PM me and I'll send it to you, since I don't need it anymore (this was my last Sportsmobile).

I swear this bus went the fastest of any I have sold! The buyer had contacted me within an hour of posting, and he is flying his mechanic to New Mexico tomorrow to check it out! If it passes inspection, it will at least have an enthusiastic owner, who has a trusted mechanic. Very Happy

Congrats on the sale, man that was fast! Consider the PM sent, and I appreciate it!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

vw people are awesome......
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

The deed is done. The bus is sold to Ryan in Florida. Just waiting on the shipper at this point. I expect it will be well taken care of.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mkriglet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

I just bought a Sportsmobile rear seat/bed for my 71 bus. My bus is just a transporter, but I want to add this seat to it. I will put pics of it up later. The seat is approximately 54" wide. I dont have any of the brackets and I am going to have to make something. Would anyone be willing to take some pictures of their rear seat undersides? Brackets? Anyrhing that could help me. Thanks.
mkriglet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a picture I found on the internet. This seat looks just like the one I have. Does anyone know how its mounted?
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

I think it can be mounted in the factory bench spots. If you had a bench in there already, you could use the T bolts and some nuts and washers.
mkriglet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

I dont have the original bench seat, plus I want it to still fold out to a bed. I dont have any brackets at all. Just a seat back and bottom.
mkriglet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Here is my seat. I'm pretty sure that I need some more hardware besides making a wooden platform for it to set on.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

any clue what year the seat came out of? I am going to the sprotsmobile pick and pull in a couple of hours, and I will snap some pics of anything relevant.
mkriglet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

I dont know what year it came out of, but I found an add for a 74 that has a similar looking seat. Either way a Sportsmobile pick and pull sounds cool. Thanks for the help.
scarter302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

I just purchased a '73 Sportsmobile here in Ft. Lauderdale. it looks like it hasn't been driven in 8 years but stored indoors. The interior is gone and the top looks good except for the side screens that are toast. I expect to get it running over the next few weekends. Ill add some pics when i'm at a home laptop
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

scarter302 wrote:
I just purchased a '73 Sportsmobile here in Ft. Lauderdale. it looks like it hasn't been driven in 8 years but stored indoors. The interior is gone and the top looks good except for the side screens that are toast. I expect to get it running over the next few weekends. Ill add some pics when i'm at a home laptop

Welcome to the family!
SnowDaySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

I bought my ‘72 camper in early 1994. It’s a Westfalia-converted “Campmobile 80” weekender tin top that had a Sportsmobile Penthouse installed early on. My friends and I traveled through 10 states in the summer of ‘94.

My roof had a metal badge on the back with the Court St address in Huntington, Indiana, so we dropped by unannounced en route from Noblesville, IN to Ann Arbor, MI. The folks there were super nice and happy to see it on the road. They had me pull the camper inside and they gave me a NOS hold-down clip to replace my broken one. In our travels, we saw many concerts and got to meet some of our favorite performers, such as John Popper and Katryna Nields. I disassembled it to restore. It’s now in storage, a bare shell with a shiny respray in the original Sierra Gold. I’m waiting on garage renovations to get it close to home and easier to work on.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
I bought my ‘72 camper in early 1994. It’s a Westfalia-converted “Campmobile 80” weekender tin top that had a Sportsmobile Penthouse installed early on. My friends and I traveled through 10 states in the summer of ‘94.

My roof had a metal badge on the back with the Court St address in Huntington, Indiana, so we dropped by unannounced en route from Noblesville, IN to Ann Arbor, MI. The folks there were super nice and happy to see it on the road. They had me pull the camper inside and they gave me a NOS hold-down clip to replace my broken one. In our travels, we saw many concerts and got to meet some of our favorite performers, such as John Popper and Katryna Nields. I disassembled it to restore. It’s now in storage, a bare shell with a shiny respray in the original Sierra Gold. I’m waiting on garage renovations to get it close to home and easier to work on.

I just met John Popper a couple months ago, but my pictures with him don't have a Sportsmobile for a backdrop. Jealous!
flcollins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Now an excited owner of a 1970 Sportsmobile Penthouse. We bought her in New Mexico and hauled her all the way back to Georgia.

The family have named her Ruby. She has a lot of work to go, but we are excited to get her on the road and camping as soon as we can.

Will do my best to document her journey back to the road. Including pictures of her interior. (needs big time work)
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

any orig components left?
DougClink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Congrats! Really happy for you. Sportys unite!

1957 Sunroof Beetle • 1964 Beetle • 1958 Westfalia Subhatch • 1955 Baja Bus • 1970 Sportsmobile
flcollins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
any orig components left?

Some of the interior, top, front rack, and I am sure there is more. Going to try and get it back to OG inside. Anyone have any build plans for the door to the closet? Also going to build front armrest.

Canvas is done! Brittle, so looks like I will be on a hunt for a new one soon as we get her road ready.

Thanks DougClink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 17

Jump to: