Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

show your working 6v-12v phone charging setup in your 6v beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bustercat65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: show your working 6v-12v phone charging setup in your 6v beetle Reply with quote

I'm thinking of fixing my 65's original radio and adding a chip to give me FM and aux output.
I don't want to upgrade to 12v from my current 6v, i want to keep it original.
I don't have a factory installed lighter.

Problem is, how to charge my iphone?

From reading threads:
6v works to charge, but 12v is better as it doesn't fluctuate and works at night with the lights on. It also charges reliably and quicker than 6v.

"6v-12v step-up circuit" and a fuse on a wire between the fuse box (or the battery) and a 12v lighter can be used to plug a charger into.

Is this correct?

Does anyone have pics of their setup?

Oh, this is similar to how i want to install it (without cutting the ashtray). I would hide the 12v lighter behind the dash and run the cable directly to the dock in the ashtray

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: show your working 6v-12v phone charging setup in your 6v beetle Reply with quote

Do not connect DC-DC converter to battery (+30) because it drain current also when output is open.

Connect 6V side of converter to a +15 terminal so it is active only when ignition is on.
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: show your working 6v-12v phone charging setup in your 6v beetle Reply with quote

I've just tapped straight into 6v and wired in a 12V socket in the glovebox for charging 12V accessories, always worked ok for me. Most gadgets these days will charge off a USB socket which is only 5V.

I've also done the dock in the ashtray thing, for an ipod...

Have used one of these small 6V to 12V boosters for years for small, low draw items like gauges, it's been very reliable...

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Inverter-6v-Positive-...tries%2A=0
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: show your working 6v-12v phone charging setup in your 6v beetle Reply with quote

I have done some similar installation, but have ditched the lighter socket (as almost everything is charged from USB today). Used a USB charger module that worked from 6V directly. This is 2 ashtray players I've done. Built in stereo amp and mounted a volume pot so the ashtray knob is on/off and volume. One have the USB charger and aux socket built in, the other I did a separate panel to be installed in the glovebox.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bustercat65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: show your working 6v-12v phone charging setup in your 6v beetle Reply with quote

This is very cool! Did installing an on off pot for the tray knob require any cutting into the unit, or did it drop in?

Can you tell me what usb/phone module you used instead of a lighter?

Can you show a bit more about how you wired it?

Frederik wrote:
I have done some similar installation, but have ditched the lighter socket (as almost everything is charged from USB today). Used a USB charger module that worked from 6V directly. This is 2 ashtray players I've done. Built in stereo amp and mounted a volume pot so the ashtray knob is on/off and volume. One have the USB charger and aux socket built in, the other I did a separate panel to be installed in the glovebox.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: