Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Going back to the strange buzzing from the car...Well I intend to replace the coil, As I needed to mention that the main clicking was coming from the by passed alarm and also the distributor....and the car does not crank even after being on a 48hr charge...
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

A guess but you may want to check relay #30:

http://1600i.de/1600i-elektronik/relais-steuergeraet/CheckingandrepairingtheECUrelay.htm
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Will set out to see if this works...Thanks again Hopkins
Sam
SizzleT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

New to the forum.

I recently bought a 2001 MexiBug. Since I've been driving it, I've noticed that the generator light and brake warning light are sometimes lit, but extremely dim. So dim, you cannot see it in the daylight unless very close to the speedometer. Occasionally they go out completely like normal, but I have only been able to observe this at night.

Occasionally, the brake warning light will flicker with engine RPM at idle, and come on solid for maybe half a second while driving.

Yesterday leaving work, the generator light and brake warning came on solid. I stopped to ensure I still had a fan belt in place, then drove home and checked the voltage at the alternator running. It measured around 11.6v which I feel as too low. After it sit for about 4 hours, I started it to see if the lights would repeat the same issue. To my amazement, both warning lights went out after startup.

Today, I don't get a generator light at all. It will not come on when the ignition switch is turned like usual. Being around a bug or two, I know if that light isn't working the alternator will not charge. After I test the bulb in the speedometer to make sure it works, what is the next step in diagnosing this issue? Anyone have any ideas about the cause?
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

could be worn brushes or bad brushes'springs making erratic contact on their rings.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

the 30 relay did not work and I guess I will have to get a coil....
Autozone has them, but i will go to my local VAG parts store that deals in Aircooled and foreign cars to get it special ordered... The adventure continues
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Sotobaggins wrote:
the 30 relay did not work and I guess I will have to get a coil....
Autozone has them, but i will go to my local VAG parts store that deals in Aircooled and foreign cars to get it special ordered... The adventure continues

I was thinking that the alarm may be causing the clicking when I mentioned relay #30.

When I first got my car the battery was dead. After charging the battery the car went into the alarm state and I could not reset it. The alarm module behind the speedo was clicking on and off. As I recall relay #30 was also clicking and the car would not crank.

If you have the large alarm module (to the right of the 198 relay in this picture)......
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

....it can be removed and, following these instructions, bypassed:
http://1600i.de/1600i-elektronik/Wegfahrsperre-ultima/immobiliser.html

I originally put a jumper in, per the instructions above, but later modified the module to permanently jump the terminals (internally). That way the relay bank looks like it has all the expected relays from the factory.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Well I removed the unit behind the speedo to check where the cable would go(since my Immobilizer is a different model to the one showed) and when replaced notice that the alarm horn did not go off...mmmmm... which I get at least one beep still getting the coil just in case..
Mr Hopkins what gauge of wire did you use...?
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Sotobaggins wrote:
Well I removed the unit behind the speedo to check where the cable would go(since my Immobilizer is a different model to the one showed) and when replaced notice that the alarm horn did not go off...mmmmm... which I get at least one beep still getting the coil just in case..
Mr Hopkins what gauge of wire did you use...?

I don't recall the gauge, but it was the same size as most of the other wires seen in my photo, like the ground (brown) wires.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

SizzleT wrote:
New to the forum.

I recently bought a 2001 MexiBug. Since I've been driving it, I've noticed that the generator light and brake warning light are sometimes lit, but extremely dim. So dim, you cannot see it in the daylight unless very close to the speedometer. Occasionally they go out completely like normal, but I have only been able to observe this at night.

This might be un-related, but I had some problems with the high-beam indicator light. Which was caused by bad grounds.
I don't recall the way the brake warning light and generator lights are grounded (the generator light is probably grounded through the generator..), but you might want to check it.
See:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8581086#8581086
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
SizzleT wrote:
New to the forum.

This might be un-related, but I had some problems with the high-beam indicator light. Which was caused by bad grounds.
I don't recall the way the brake warning light and generator lights are grounded (the generator light is probably grounded through the generator..), but you might want to check it.
See:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8581086#8581086

I had the same problem as Gerrelt, with the ground on the high beam indicator (~4 or ~5 years ago) I was able to 'fix' it simply by spinning the bulb in it's socket. It has worked since then.

My battery light glows very dimly at night when I turn on the lights. It will glow a little brighter (but still quite dim) if I turn on the rear fog light (or reverse lights/brake lights, anything else). The rear fog light can only be turned on when the headlights are on.

It does not glow if I'm using my City light lights. (Your car probably doesn't have either the rear fog light or the City lights, unless it was modified for sale in Europe). The City lights are like parking lights.

I have H4 headlights so my suspicion is that the Alternator is a bit weak for them. Other than then slight glow of the battery light, I've never had any problems, so I've just left things as they are.

Note that the circuit for the 2001 brake warning light is different than my car ('96).

Is your brake warning light an LED near the 100 km/h (or 60 mph) mark, or a light on the dash to the right of the speedo (first pic is from a speedo modified for the UK, but shows the LED):

or (my car):

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I was unable to close the roof on my car the other day. After some testing today, I discovered that the switch on the dash has gone bad. I checked the back of the switch using my scope camera to see if any of the terminals may have fallen off:

Everything looked OK, I also 'jiggled' the wires to see if one was just a little loose.

I order a new switch with built in jumpers:

It should replace the existing switch without much change to the appearance:

(The switch is a 3 position DPDT MOM Switch).

The open position of the switch is still operating, so I rigged up a temporary terminal so I can manually reverse the polarity to open and close the roof as needed, until my new switch arrives:

I also ordered some VAG connectors to replace the screw-type terminal at the motor and to allow me to fabricate a 4 terminal pigtail for the switch:

Even though the roof motor is fused on the panel (at fuse #8 ), I think I'm going to put a second in-line fuse at the motor.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Nice work! The new switch looks identical to the old.
Where did you order it?

Can the old switch be disassembled, or is it a one-piece unit?

Greetings,
Gerrelt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:

Note that the circuit for the 2001 brake warning light is different than my car ('96).

Is your brake warning light an LED near the 100 km/h (or 60 mph) mark, or a light on the dash to the right of the speedo (first pic is from a speedo modified for the UK, but shows the LED):

or (my car):

IIRC it doesn't matter what style brake warning light the car has, an imbalance in the charging system will cause both the alternator and the brake warning light to come on at the same time.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
Hi Paul,
Nice work! The new switch looks identical to the old.
Where did you order it?

Can the old switch be disassembled, or is it a one-piece unit?

Greetings,
Gerrelt.

Thanks, I haven't pulled the old switch yet. I'll do that once the new one arrives.

I ordered the new one from Princess Auto, they are a Canadian auto parts supplier. A new store was opened just a few kms from me Smile , but they didn't have it in stock, so I ordered it for delivery:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/12v-dc-polarity-reversing-rocker-switch/A-p8467169e

I did some measuring of my switch and found this spec for a similar one.
I kept a copy for future reference:

The outside measurements of the switch (in the spec) are exactly the same as my switch. From that I deduced that the opening must be .83 in. x 1.48 in. , which is a common size for these types of switches. The switch I ordered fits into that size opening.

Note that some of the open airs used different switches.

If you look around the edges of the switch you can see that coachworks that installed the roof did a bit of a hack job cutting the hole for the switch. That may create a bit of a challenge for me when I go to install the new switch:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

love the Beetles Uk speedo....
Dave Rail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Having been through a few different steering bosses and endless head scratching, I finally found a boss to fit the '99 Mexi. The spline is a 26mm, but I was hoping to get a Mountney wheel & boss fitted...Mountney bosses only go up to 23mm.
I ended up buying a MOMO boss for a MK3 golf, which fits perfectly, in case anyone else has trouble with doing this job in future.
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

No love... replaced the coil bridged the alarm module, still clicking in the immobilizer and no cranking???
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

just a clue the Immobilizer is Immobilized or jerry rigged to work and both fuses are good... I am thinking to unhook the battery and let it sit 24hrs

Last edited by Sotobaggins on Sun May 20, 2018 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

frankly speaking I have no clue what could it be. unless the immobilization of the immobilizer, as you call it, somehow failed and is thus now immobilizing the car.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 77 of 192

Jump to: