Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trunk really takes slamming to close. Any advice?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bustercat65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Trunk really takes slamming to close. Any advice? Reply with quote

I have to place my hands on the center of the hood and slam repeatedly really hard to get the lid to close. Any advice to make this a bit easier? What are the usual culprits?
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk really takes slamming to close. Any advice? Reply with quote

How big is your spare tire?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk really takes slamming to close. Any advice? Reply with quote

Yeah, try it without the spare in there. Really, the hood should not need that kind of work to latch it, if the latch and pin are adjusted/aligned properly. I never slam my hood shut. I just set it down, push a little harder on the handle, and I hear the latch go "snick", done.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk really takes slamming to close. Any advice? Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Yeah, try it without the spare in there. Really, the hood should not need that kind of work to latch it, if the latch and pin are adjusted/aligned properly. I never slam my hood shut. I just set it down, push a little harder on the handle, and I hear the latch go "snick", done.

Unrelated to the thread, so I apologize in advance.
But I had to laugh, because “snick” is pretty much the exact sound it makes!

If I had to guess, I would think it’s an adjustment issue with the hood pin or latch (if the hood isn’t hitting the spare)

Last edited by dodgerodder on Sat May 19, 2018 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bustercat65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk really takes slamming to close. Any advice? Reply with quote

Ah, it must be the tire. I can barely move it in there.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk really takes slamming to close. Any advice? Reply with quote

Spare tires fit in the well pretty snugly.
Have a look at the bracket that the latch pin is attached to. It should be flat. Most brackets that have closing issues are bent upward.
If that's the case here. Remove the bracket and straighten it out.
The boot (trunk lid) should close easily after repairing the bracket and properly adjusting the latch pin.
Oh, and a little grease on the latch pin dosen't hurt too.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Trunk really takes slamming to close. Any advice? Reply with quote

I had to rework my latch by removing it, taking it apart, straightening and deburring everything, then carefully reassembling it with a little grease. Then I patently adjusted it (there are threads... it's not intuitive). Took half the damn day but it finally solved my problem.
Bustercat65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk really takes slamming to close. Any advice? Reply with quote

Solved! The seal is totally rock hard. Bits are flying off as I closed it. I ripped some out and it works, will replace the seal.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk really takes slamming to close. Any advice? Reply with quote

I actually thought about blabbering about how the seal was part of the "hood latch" experience... yes, there is a spring on the latch pin, but that combines with the overall slight compression of the hood seal, they both combine to give the hood enough "spring" to make a nice "thongggg" sound when it releases as you pull the hood latch.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Trunk really takes slamming to close. Any advice? Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I actually thought about blabbering about how the seal was part of the "hood latch" experience... yes, there is a spring on the latch pin, but that combines with the overall slight compression of the hood seal, they both combine to give the hood enough "spring" to make a nice "thongggg" sound when it releases as you pull the hood latch.

Just so I have this right-------the hood should say "thongggg" when released, and then "snick" when latched?

Mine also goes "sproyng" when being lowered.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Trunk really takes slamming to close. Any advice? Reply with quote

Always good to have clear descriptions of "sounds"!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: