Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

floor pan help please guys.
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: floor pan help please guys. Reply with quote

i am not a fabricator i am a mechanic by trade.i only have a jobsmart 125amp flux core welder.i wanted to patch this for now.next winter i was going to redo entire pan with new steel and boxed in.i am kinda stuck.the patch pans i have are uniform in depth all the way around.but my buggy pans go from deep to nothing."ramped"..so the back of my patch pan fits in nice.but the front wont.do i cut along the inside seam(bottom bend).a few inches then it will bend up and the sides will then drop down in?.i just dont want more welds or take the strength out of the already thin patch pan.if this makes any sense to u.or can someone give me a better way to put a patch in.ideas?..trying for uncomplicated for now.would like to run buggy for the summer.or maybe i should just tear it all out..and whats a good way to patch the few small holes on the inside edge of tunnel?.the leaves were catching inside the old seat slide rails and rotted thru a couple small spots on tunnel.these pics are the worst rot on the buggy.and i dont think its that bad.everywhere else is solid.except for the battery tray.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: floor pan help please guys. Reply with quote

You are trying to put a stock shaped patch panel over a floor that has had a section removed when it was shortened. Do whatever you need to do to make it fit.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: floor pan help please guys. Reply with quote

Trim replace pan to fit hole or modify hole to fit pan... Try to do butt weld, if you overlap you will create a space where dirt collects, then it will hold moisture, then it will rust some more.... BUT an overlap is acceptable if time or skills is a issue....As Q-Dog says "Do whatever you need to do to make it fit".... As for holes in side of tunnel, you can either cut out offending area and replace with strip of same gauge metal or lay a strip of metal over it... Treat inside of tunnel best you can with a rust neutralizing/preventative chemical first...... As for welds since material is thin your 125 amp FCAW machine can do it with no problem, finishes product will depend on your welding skills/technique... Biggest issue here is going to be burn through as materials is pretty thing... Might have to resort to body shop technique which is about 5,000,000 tack welds around perimeter till you finally have a full bond all the way around patch....

http://weldingtipsandtricks.com

As somebody here on the Samba stated, "do your temporary patches well becasue they tend to become permanent"...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: floor pan help please guys. Reply with quote

thanks guys.i trimmed it down and beat the sides down.it actually came out way better than expected.thanks.i did whatever it took...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: