Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Delete your Facebook account
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
What worries me more are all of these devices people gleefully put into their home that listen to EVERYTHING we say!!

Really, How stupid are people?

Dave

It started with fluoridation of the drinking water. Very Happy
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
djkeev wrote:
What worries me more are all of these devices people gleefully put into their home that listen to EVERYTHING we say!!

Dave

It started with fluoridation of the drinking water. Very Happy

Here it started with the phone book. You had to sign a form to be omitted from it- but you got listed without permission or request of.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Just downloaded my wife's FB data and you'll be surprised how much that take from your smartphone and ho they share it with. i suggest you do the same and decide if you want to continue to use it on your phone.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

By Golly I am glad I have never ever FACEBOOKed.

One must be careful when they Insta book chat google tweet face snap gram!!

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

"Attention all Social Media users!"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Just downloaded my wife's FB data and you'll be surprised how much that take from your smartphone and ho they share it with. i suggest you do the same and decide if you want to continue to use it on your phone.

Whenever I take a picture with my smartphone, in a few days FB shows me the pic and asks me whether I would like it to be shared with my friends. So even though they say they won't share it unless I say so, the fact is they already have copied it from my phone onto their servers.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

I have a facebook account, but just so I can log in to see what photos a few family members post; those three are my only "friends" on facebook.

I always maintained the highest security settings (which they change without notice until after the change is made, thus opening your info to the search bots and those they sell to, undermining your stated intent to stay private! And at one point, you had to change settings buried several layers deep in four different menus, but I did all that.)

I post nothing, I invite no one. I accept no invitations. No photos. No contact info. No nothing, other than receiving one invite and three messages in the last 8 years.

Yet there are nearly 200 advertisers that facebook has sent my info to.
They have been tracking me based on the IP addresses I post from.
Dozens of cookies have been set.
Eight applications have been installed.

All without my consent.

The news states they track your cell phone calls, but no calls were in the disclosure report. Hmmm...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I have a facebook account, but just so I can log in to see what photos a few family members post; those three are my only "friends" on facebook.

I always maintained the highest security settings (which they change without notice until after the change is made, thus opening your info to the search bots and those they sell to, undermining your stated intent to stay private! And at one point, you had to change settings buried several layers deep in four different menus, but I did all that.)

I post nothing, I invite no one. I accept no invitations. No photos. No contact info. No nothing, other than receiving one invite and three messages in the last 8 years.

Yet there are nearly 200 advertisers that facebook has sent my info to.
They have been tracking me based on the IP addresses I post from.
Dozens of cookies have been set.
Eight applications have been installed.

All without my consent.

The news states they track your cell phone calls, but no calls were in the disclosure report. Hmmm...

My wife and i have the same type of account, we use a fake name.

Like i said, they stole all sorts of info from her phone. I'm going to delete the data and uninstall the app on her phone.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Dave

I refuse to use our micro-wave oven.
In fact, I keep it covered with an old bath towel so "they" can't see me.
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

It's our own fault. We decided the Internet should be free, but there is no free lunch. The rule is, if you aren't paying for a product, that means you are the product. It's not really new, we got free TV by looking at ads and buying crap we didn't know we needed. It's just gotten scary sophisticated and branched into areas way beyond deodorant and ShamWow.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

I just did the FB data dump just to see what was in it. And found nothing out of the ordinary that any web search wouldn't have uncovered. My security settings are set to nearly the highest level on both my mobile and computer, and I check at least twice a month on all the settings and delete anything that happens to show up that I don't agree with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Facebook is nothing compared to Google. if you have an Android smartphone, it tracks EVERYTHING you do, search and go.

https://myaccount.google.com/

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Link

awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Ugh. This is a real downer. It's probably too late for me. I'm in too deep at this point. 'They' probably even know my favorite nose-picking finger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
Ugh. This is a real downer. It's probably too late for me. I'm in too deep at this point. 'They' probably even know my favorite nose-picking finger.

It's okay. Everyone 'nose'.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

They ARE all tied together. Once we went all internet access - big brother got you! That is what Snowden was trying to warn us public.

The only things non-searchable now are firearms serial numbers -which are kept in Kansas. They are NOt allowed any computers there. All the info on any of these remorseless pieces of metals are all on microfiche films.

I am sure big brother would love the get hold of them but to date it is against federal law to have access to any of them without federal search warrants.

Should be a wake up call to everyone how much of our rights are being taken away and sold to us as charity.
Meyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

I use Facebook heavily for networking and promotion. If it wasn't "free", I probably wouldn't have much of a target audience. So while there are some reasonable points being made here, I'm having difficulty imagining a workable alternative.

So I guess in the end (to paraphrase Tom Lehrer), Facebook is much like a sewer in that what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. I'm fully aware that much of what I do on a computer or a phone is being tracked one way or another and that this information could be potentially used against me one way or another. I suppose that if I do choose to engage in some sort of civil disobedience in the future, I'd better be fully committed.

The chances of something like that actually happening are rather slim, so I guess the powers that be are welcome to know what kind of deodorant I use. It's a fair bargain for the time being.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Meyer wrote:
I use Facebook heavily for networking and promotion. If it wasn't "free", I probably wouldn't have much of a target audience. So while there are some reasonable points being made here, I'm having difficulty imagining a workable alternative.

So I guess in the end (to paraphrase Tom Lehrer), Facebook is much like a sewer in that what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. I'm fully aware that much of what I do on a computer or a phone is being tracked one way or another and that this information could be potentially used against me one way or another. I suppose that if I do choose to engage in some sort of civil disobedience in the future, I'd better be fully committed.

The chances of something like that actually happening are rather slim, so I guess the powers that be are welcome to know what kind of deodorant I use. It's a fair bargain for the time being.

I was shocked at first, but now I'm ok. This is just the world we live in today. The alternative is to live off the grid in a cabin in the woods, composing your 30,000 word manifesto and building mail bombs.

It's just targeted marketing after all. Big Brother can't use anything on FB or Google to intimidate or hurt me, and if they try, then who cares? I may be a paranoid cynic, but I'm not concerned any more with respect to my political beliefs or shopping habits being tracked.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

I've grown steadily more disenchanted with the train wreck that is FB, and I'm considering how to make an orderly exit from it.

I would make sure I have contact information for the few people that I want to stay in touch with, and use email or snail mail in the future. I wouldn't have to worry about my photos, because they are all on DVD or printed. I don't use my FB login for any other apps like Ebay or the New York Times, so hopefully there wouldn't be any repercussions there. But since FB owns Messenger, WhatsApp and Instagram, if I wanted to use those I'd have to set up new accounts.

The one real problem is that my VW club has taken to posting all activity on FB instead of our own website, which has gone pretty much dormant. So I would miss out on any photos of club activities posted on FB, which often don't make it into TheSamba.

I'd start by deleting my photos and my posts, and then my profile (although I know they will never be truly deleted). Then finally I would close my account.

How does that sound? Has anyone else "cut the cord"? How did it go?

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Delete your Facebook account Reply with quote

Create a generic, no name account. Join your group. Delete your personal account. Never post anything personal or identifying on the generic account.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: