Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Picked up a 78 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
You can wire them (and many other radios) to turn on when the key is simply in the ignition by using the door buzzer wire to provide the "turn on" signal to the radio. This is easy on 74 plus Buses, requires a relay on the earlier buses.

Dang, that's an excellent idea! Thanks for the tip. I'm going to do that cool little trick.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
There is some info on the EGR light in the owners manual.
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals / Other Manuals
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type2.php

Good luck
Tcash

Thanks, I need to look into it a bit more, according to my user manual, I may have 2 dash lights that came disconnected intentionally, EGR and one other I can't remember without looking at it. Thought that was a bit strange, but I will dig back into it when I get some new indicator bulbs to install.
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I have a Retrosound radio in each Bus and really like them, even if they are a bit expensive. I would have to say that I bought the second after using the first for a while would have to speak to the fact that I like 'em! They can be had on Amazon and other places so check around a little for best price.

You can wire them (and many other radios) to turn on when the key is simply in the ignition by using the door buzzer wire to provide the "turn on" signal to the radio. This is easy on 74 plus Buses, requires a relay on the earlier buses.

Thanks for the positive review gives me a bit of motivation, it is hard for me to spend that much when I need to buy so much other stuff that will make the bus more roadworthy, but at least I will have some tunes for my weekly drive around the block...

Oh I saw that about wiring it into the door buzzer, and that was actually my original intention, and why I was inspecting all that wiring which I discovered was all fried and exposed in a scary way, major short at some point, even some of the dash is melted toward the back (can't see it unless the instrument cluster is pulled luckily) from when it occurred. I fixed all that wiring, got the dome light going and didn't want to add any additional wiring until I made sure everything was good to go.

Anyways, I may wire it that way in the future, but time will tell.
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

I was browsing various sites to get some kick boards, headliner and door panels and just didn’t want to spend the money. I had a sheet of Masonite from a past project and thought I’d try to just make my own. I also had some white vinyl from repairing a seat on my dad’s boat so I figured worst case I’d waste time, best case I’d have something I could use.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The headboard is staying, I used the pieces of the old one as a template and my little table router and it looks better than I was expecting honestly.

Again used pieces of what I had as templates and after some adjustment it fits well, so I’ll just finish the kick boards with vinyl or some laminate I have and save the $200 bucks I would have spent otherwise. The third piece is part of the cabinet attached to the refrigerator/cooler. Goes on the back to cover the insultion.

Mock fitting here, but I think I’ll use it. Kind of a spontaneous series of events but it kind of inspires me to make my own door panels.i have some more laminate and vinyl I could use to finish them, so I think I’ll use what I have on hand.
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

Anybody installed speakers in their kick panels? I see them for sale for bugs, not sure if anyone is doing that on busses or if the speaker weight just destroys them too quick. I may try and build a little support in the back of the panel. I would rather cut holes in those panels vs a door panel, especially if I end up buying good door panels...
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506795&highlight=speakers
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569605&highlight=speakers
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=317840&highlight=speakers
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=188489&highlight=speakers
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=300732&highlight=speakers
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

Thanks, I guess I worded my search wrong. I think I may go for it.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

championbaum wrote:
Anybody installed speakers in their kick panels? I see them for sale for bugs, not sure if anyone is doing that on busses or if the speaker weight just destroys them too quick. I may try and build a little support in the back of the panel. I would rather cut holes in those panels vs a door panel, especially if I end up buying good door panels...

Hiya Champ... I decided to mount speakers in the kick panels instead of the door of my Riviera. When I had a '71 Westy, the PO had installed speakers in the door panels, and I was always hitting it with my feet while getting out. (Size 12 feet are always getting in the way.) So far, I have been happy with their placement in the kick panels. They sound good, and I never kick 'em.

However, I made my own panels out of 1/4" ply, so they are plenty sturdy to hold the speakers. I've seen the ABS panels available, which don't appear to be stiff enough to hold a speaker.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
championbaum wrote:

Hiya Champ... I decided to mount speakers in the kick panels instead of the door of my Riviera. When I had a '71 Westy, the PO had installed speakers in the door panels, and I was always hitting it with my feet while getting out. (Size 12 feet are always getting in the way.) So far, I have been happy with their placement in the kick panels. They sound good, and I never kick 'em.

However, I made my own panels out of 1/4" ply, so they are plenty sturdy to hold the speakers. I've seen the ABS panels available, which don't appear to be stiff enough to hold a speaker.

Thanks! I actually pulled the trigger and did it. Sounds good in my opinion, I added a plywood support behind the speaker since the Masonite would probably get demolished pretty quick otherwise. I’ll post some pics later but I’m happy with how they look. One is pretty dang tight and I’m worried about removal but I’ll sort that out when I get there and know a bit more for next time.

Did you make those door panels? They look great, how did u manage to cover the mounting tabs? I made the rear hatch panel today and it was a pita to get the mounting holes lined up, took me a few tries and made me second guess making door panels. Any tips if so? I have the old door panels so that will help if I go that route.

Edit: here is how mine turned out

Excuse the washer tank hole, I cut it because I plan on getting the working again soon.

I needed to get my wiring done so I also installed a cheap stereo I had so I could get everything laid out. Still plan on getting a retro one at some point.

You can also see how I have my wiring under the dash sorted out, looks way cleaner that it was before. A few things I need to get rewired but pretty happy with the progress.

Last edited by championbaum on Sat May 12, 2018 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

To transfer the holes to the new panel.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8585846&highlight=transfer+tool#8585846
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7822257#7822257
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
To transfer the holes to the new panel.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8585846&highlight=transfer+tool#8585846
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7822257#7822257

That is so simple it is brilliant...
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

Used the remaining vinyl to redo the trim above the curtains, and actually made some curtains as well. Put the refrigerator cabinet back in also. Was kind of tough solo because the Masonite backing wasn’t perfect so I had to remove it and reinstall a few times, not too bad though.

Kind of bad lighting but you all get the picture.

Just a few little things to do to the interior and I’ll reinstall the rest of the cabinets and then it’s time to replace the pop up canvas. Hopefully I’ll hve that done before the end of this month, but as usual I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on one because I’m cheap...
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

Installed the sink/stove cabinets.

I think I’ll remove it however to put a piece of trim between it and the fridge cabinets, here:

Redid the seatstand rubber:

Removed the bed up top to redo the vinyl:

I couldn’t figure out how to get the wood out so I actually cut a slit in the canvas I’ll be replacing soon. I think I’ll end up just floating that board in there so I can move it out of the way and try to replace the canvas without taking the roof off. Without the bed in the canvas is pretty easy to get to in that tight spot in the back.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

A hair dryer as hot as you can get it will remove that vinyl fast. Just get an edge to lift and keep the air in front of it and lift. Once it’s all off get some xylene and paint it on. Work in 1 small sections and the glue comes right off with a putty knife. I use a 3-4 inch wide one that’s really sturdy with a beveled edge. Keep applying the xylene til the knife has nothing but the clear liquid on it. Go with the grain and don’t gouge the wood. And get yourself a 3m respirator.
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
A hair dryer as hot as you can get it will remove that vinyl fast. Just get an edge to lift and keep the air in front of it and lift. Once it’s all off get some xylene and paint it on. Work in 1 small sections and the glue comes right off with a putty knife. I use a 3-4 inch wide one that’s really sturdy with a beveled edge. Keep applying the xylene til the knife has nothing but the clear liquid on it. Go with the grain and don’t gouge the wood. And get yourself a 3m respirator.

Thanks, I have a crappy heat gun that works halfway, but did the trick. I didn't have xylene, but acetone poured all over got the glue gummy enough to remove thoroughly, did the same for the headliner. I will have to try xylene next time, I am sure it is a messy affair either way...
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

Put the rest of the interior in, still need a rubber mat for up front.

Got some Hankook RA08’s and man they make a huge difference. Had some Michelin XZ4’s or something like that before and with new tires turns feel much better.

Continued work on undercarriage, grind, treat rust, prime, paint, undercarriage rubberized coating, pretty slow going...
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

Replaced the accelerator cable last night. That was another job that went way easier than expected. I tied a piece of 30 lb mono fishing line on the engine side of the cable, pulled it through, then tied the new cable to the string on the other side and pulled it back through.

Original cable had a lot of play, I left a bit of slack and hit the highway, all good. The old one was very frayed on the engine side held together by like 3 strands, the job would probably be harder if it would have broke.

Got the pedal pan reinstalled and rust treated under it.
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

More work on undercarriage:

What’s this component of the heater lines called? The y from the heater box? Can’t find the part on bus depot, may cut it out clean it up weld patches and weld back in place if it’s not available.

Trying to figure out how to get the heater working again since I have the fan, replacing all the rotted hoses. Rear ones look reusable, but the cable from the lever to the heater boxes is disconnected, I need to take a closer look to make sure the flaps are in ok shape or if it was disconnected because they are seized open or closed or something.

If those flaps are closed to I need to cap that Y from the heater boxes while the middle hose is disconnected?

Also what is this? Pretty sure it shouldn’t be there and has been added at some point then avoided, from heater box to hoses to the metal Y in heater lines.

ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

championbaum wrote:

Also what is this? Pretty sure it shouldn’t be there and has been added at some point then avoided, from heater box to hoses to the metal Y in heater lines.

Heat dump tubes.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=heater+dump+tubes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
championbaum wrote:

Heat dump tubes.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=heater+dump+tubes

Ya I posted another thread about it and got lined out, unfortunately in a lapse in judgment i freaking threw the original tubing away so I am going to remake them and hook them up with flex hose. Feel pretty silly about tossing them, I was trying to make room in my garage and thought they were remnants from a past exhaust or something...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: