Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine bay starter switch
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Engine bay starter switch Reply with quote

I'd like to have a permanent remote starter switch in the engine bay for obvious reasons. I'm thinkin' waterproof momentary switch button. I'm sure someone must have done this. Maybe someone has a wiring diagram or photo.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so someone gets into the engine compartment, slips a wire from the battery to the coil and hits the start button, cool.

In answer to your question - add a protected wire, like 14 or 16 gauge from the spade lug to your momentary contact switch and then another from the switch to 12V +. Put the switch out of the way where you can't accidentally bump it. I'd drop by someone like West Marine etc and look at their watertight momentary contact switches that might even be keyed -

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's battery to momentary to 50 on the solenoid? This way no start without key on?

mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it makes more sense to carry the two wires you need one to clip from the battery to coil positive and the other to fit to the starter and tap on the battery plus when you need it.
The rest of the time the hotwire kit lives (like mine) somewhere secret and safe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vince Waldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My solution was to build a little box with a "ignition" switch and a "push to start" switch... it's on a 4' cord and plugs into a matching harness in the engine compartment.

I plug it in, do my tuneups etc, and then unplug it and put it away till the next time... no additional risk to thievery. Smile
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at the little remote starter kits. Cheezy. I'd just as soon have it permanent. Just one less thing to have to keep track of. I'll probably use a keyed one, as Kent suggested, mounted in the spot where the test network/fan connector used to be. I'd just use a button but think I'd hit it just at the wrong time.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I can't really see the value in doing this. Are you just trying to save a few steps by not using the norlal start switch? I remember when I was a kid my Dad had a remote start switch he used when working on our Detroit iron but I honestly can't see needing one for VW's. My feeling is that your time and money would be better utilized installing an engine bay light.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my 59 the ignition switch had been moved to the motor compartment. Sadly they hacked the wire harness to do so.
I would only set up something that you can hook a starter button to. something like a junction box and you can alligator clip onto then take it out when done. Done give someone another easy way to drive off with you little beauty. I would not personally put a switch back there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vince Waldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno... sure makes single-handedly setting dwell a treat. Smile
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the warnings but, where I live, people don't even lock up their houses. I could leave the key in the ignition, a half gallon of whiskey, bag of weed on the seat and no one would dare touch it.

I do venture to Stumptown occasionally tho so I may consider the plug in/out option. Thanks Vince.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince Waldon wrote:
My solution was to build a little box with a "ignition" switch and a "push to start" switch... it's on a 4' cord and plugs into a matching harness in the engine compartment.

I plug it in, do my tuneups etc, and then unplug it and put it away till the next time... no additional risk to thievery. Smile

excellent
yttkuar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Engine bay starter switch Reply with quote

Would having a keyed remote in the engine compartment help solve the hot start problem better than a hot start relay? I have a relay and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I would rather just get out and crank the key if it would overcome the hot start issue.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Engine bay starter switch Reply with quote

It’s easier than that. Your starter solenoid probably has a spare male spade terminal. Get about 3 feet of 10G wire and put a female spade on one end. Connect that to the solenoid. Run the wire through the firewall towards the battery positive post and strip off 1/2 inch of insulation.

When you have the hot start problem simply touch that wire to the B+ post. Make sure the key is on and transmission out of gear. The engine should crank and fire off. Keep a wire nut on the bare wire end.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
yttkuar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Engine bay starter switch Reply with quote

Thanks, that does sound a lot easier.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Engine bay starter switch Reply with quote

It worked for me. Good luck
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Engine bay starter switch Reply with quote

If you still have the diagnostic plug.
Remote starter diagnostic plug

Good luck
Tcash

Hot start problems:
Dying battery
Dirty battery connections
Starter bolts loose
Ground cable connection from transmission to frame dirty
Bad starter
Poor wire connections
Red/white Wire from starter fuse box
Red Wire from fuse box to ignition switch bad
Ignition switch failing
Red/black Wire from ignition switch to starter bad

Wiring diagram https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php
click on diag.
naturalmohican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince Waldon wrote:

This sounds like exactly what I need to make, have you got any photos or further details of this invention?
https://naturalmohican.com/yry483j/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturalmohican wrote:
Vince Waldon wrote:

This sounds like exactly what I need to make, have you got any photos or further details of this invention?
I made mine with a short two prong extension cord. Cut it a foot or so from the male end and wire a switch to it. Take the wires from the female end and attach them to 50 and 30 at the starter. If you misplace your switch end a U shaped piece of wire or a paper clip will suffice.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Engine bay starter switch Reply with quote

My 1973 VW Type 2 engine has a cranked starting handle, which is quite easy to use. I learned the technique as a child, starting my father's late-1940s vintage Morris 8 Series E, two-door saloon.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: