Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn signal on when brake applied
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldsvwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Turn signal on when brake applied Reply with quote

I am looking for some help with my 1960 bug. I replaced the harness after it baked. I also decided to run LED tail lights. When I press the brake, my left (passenger) side works right, but right doesn't. Instead of the taillight the right turn signal lights up instead. When I turn on my running lights everything works. All of my turn signals work on both sides. It's just the turn signal light thing. Thoughts?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal on when brake applied Reply with quote

First thing to check when you get non-sensical symptoms is the grounding of the light assemblies. If there is a bad ground, the current will seek a ground elsewhere, often through another bulb's filament, and cause the kind of weird interactions you describe. Bulb grounding, receptacle grounding, lamp housing grounding, even fender grounding to the body! Recent repainting can inadvertently eliminate a ground path.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal on when brake applied Reply with quote

ldsvwguy wrote:
I am looking for some help with my 1960 bug. I replaced the harness after it baked. I also decided to run LED tail lights. When I press the brake, my left (passenger) side works right, but right doesn't. Instead of the taillight the right turn signal lights up instead. When I turn on my running lights everything works. All of my turn signals work on both sides. It's just the turn signal light thing. Thoughts?

Would you please provide more detail, clarification? left side is not passenger side, unless you have a righthand drive Bug, please clarify that. you say all the turn signals work, but you have a turn signal thing, clarify please. Also please specify front or rear turn signals in the description, in 1960 they function differently, front and rear turn signals are separate circuits do to the dual use of the rear turn signals with the brake lights.

You say the left side works right, does that mean the left side works correctly, or is the left signal command operating the right side signal?

You have led tail lights, would that also be brake and rear turn lights are led i.e. are you using a dual led bulb in the rear?

Is this other than the led lamp, set up as a U.S. model 1960 Bug?

Also what was baked in the prior wire harness?

Let us know.

Thanks, Bug On with great lighting!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
ldsvwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal on when brake applied Reply with quote

The driver front turn peanut lights up when brake applied. All running lights work normally, passenger rear brake works. driver rear does not.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal on when brake applied Reply with quote

ldsvwguy wrote:
The driver front turn peanut lights up when brake applied. All running lights work normally, passenger rear brake works. driver rear does not.

Here is a 1960 US Bug wire diagram.....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug60.jpg

Please confirm the wiring is as diagram. Pay attention to the turn signal switch, flash can specially, but make sure it is wired exactly all over.

Make sure you do not have a different year turn switch, the stop lights run thru the turn switch.

If wiring correct, it is possible there is an internal short within the turn switch, shorting the stop light circuit to the offending front turn signal light. If so you may need to remove the wires at the turn switch and ohm probe the terminals on turn switch to make sure they are not shorted, check function when switch is off, left turn command and right turn command positions. wiggle the turn switch to see if that makes a difference also.

Good Luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal on when brake applied Reply with quote

I fully suspect your turn signal switch too. It is the only component where brake and flashing circuits combine. The switch relies on separation of incoming brake light signal from the M/C switch and turn signal function from the flasher- so to have any combo of the two functions means you've got a short.

You can bypass in the ins and outs of the switch to test and confirm.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: