Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dialing in a 2.2L WBX engine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Dialing in a 2.2L WBX engine Reply with quote

The rings on that cyl apparently did not seat, or perhaps the builder forgot to stagger the ring gaps

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Dialing in a 2.2L WBX engine Reply with quote

Yeah...not happy. Using a little oil too.

Biology is destiny...choose your mutations carefully
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Dialing in a 2.2L WBX engine Reply with quote

Sorry man. That sucks.

I just replaced my distributor and Hall Sensor (in distributor) and my flat spot is gone. Ran all over Portland today with noticeable improvement.

I am still going to replace fuel pump and tank later this week as I have the parts.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Dialing in a 2.2L WBX engine Reply with quote

It may not be the end of the world. If you only have 190 miles on it (I think I read that right), then get out there and TRY to seat the rings. Plenty of acceleration under load and deceleration under load. Give it a bit of time. If things don't clear up, I mentioned on page one that AA cylinders can be WAY out of round.. so much so that rings aren't going to seat. You have to check them and may need to go through multiple sets to find 4 good ones. I would also check the intake valve guide for that cylinder. If it's loose you will have oil use and poor power.

J
delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Dialing in a 2.2L WBX engine Reply with quote

Jerry at NWCR mentioned that AA piston rings suck, and replaces them as a standard operating process. I will call him this week and get his take on my situation. I've been breaking it in per his instructions with variation in RPM (180 town miles, not highway.) I'm going to drive it for the week and pull the plug again on Saturday to see the results. I sure hope I don't need to pull this again.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dialing in a 2.2L WBX engine Reply with quote

delibessleep wrote:
Jerry at NWCR mentioned that AA piston rings suck, and replaces them as a standard operating process. I will call him this week and get his take on my situation. I've been breaking it in per his instructions with variation in RPM (180 town miles, not highway.) I'm going to drive it for the week and pull the plug again on Saturday to see the results. I sure hope I don't need to pull this again.

I believe the AA rings are grants. Its the cylinder machining that is poor. .020" out is bad... VW states .0005" as the wear limit.

J
delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dialing in a 2.2L WBX engine Reply with quote

I put a volt meter on the green wire off my O2 sensor to check the voltage with the engine at temperature. Registered 0.8 volts. According to the link provided earlier, this suggests a rich-side mixture. Plugs are a little dark too.

Having read another blog regarding AFM spring adjustments...and the success another blogger had by rotating the spring tension gear clockwaie a couple clicks...I decided to give it a shot and see if this would correct the deadspot off idle to about 2500 rpm.

At two clicks, I have noticable improvement. No more lumbering. I rechecked the 02 sensor (again at running temps) and saw 0.2 register at the meter. I richened the mix very slightly at the allen screw to hit .05 (I'm currently at one full turn out from bottom, or 1/2 turn I. From the baseline.) Pick up is good and it sounds strong. I'm going to take it for a longer drive tomorrow to see how it feels...but I'm making progress.

delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dialing in a 2.2L WBX engine Reply with quote

So...after a few days of running the engine with the AFM cog 2 clicks clockwise from factory, I found it still lumbering up hills.

I did a comparison check with another van to see how they throttle up. Both 87s, both with similar compression...

The other van throttled right up and sounded very strong. Mine gasps and feels like it's dying until it gets over 2500 RPM. Obvious and striking difference in engine note.

I took it to a local shop recommended by Jerry at NWCR (engine builder.) I reset everything back to the baseline factory spec before handing off, and gave him a sheet with all the inspections I've done with the readings. After multiple checks, still nothing isolated. I still have this dangerous flat spot off idle...especially cold.

The shop recommended a new ICU (behind the tail light) suggesting that the voltage fluctuated quite a bit. I am fairly confident this has little to nothing to do with the problem I have with off idle power.

I am going to inspect the check valve at the charcoal canister this evening to see if that is disconnected or causing a vacuum issue...long shot, but cheap.

Short of that...I think I need to try a different AFM and see what this does. Anyone in the Bellevue, WA area with a loaner? Test shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dialing in a 2.2L WBX engine Reply with quote

I forget.. did you perform a leak down test?

Any idea what cam NWCR installed?

J
delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dialing in a 2.2L WBX engine Reply with quote

Hi,

No I didn't perform a leak down test.
I haven't received the spec sheet from Jerry yet...I'll call him.

delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dialing in a 2.2L WBX engine Reply with quote

I spoke with Jerry...He's going to lend me a known good AFM to use as a test. I will collect the spec sheet while I am there. No hot cam though!

delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dialing in a 2.2L WBX engine Reply with quote

I replaced the AFM with a known good unit. Still a flat spot off idle...not as pronounced, but still there.

The revs like to stick. Run it up to 3000 rpm and stick in the clutch and is sits there until you tap the throttle again. The mechanic suggested the ICU behind the tail light is bad due to fluctuating voltages. I pulled it yesterday to check the harness and ensure the connections were not corroded / broken. Reinstalled the ICU with some Dielectric paste. no help. The ISV hums nicely, correct voltage, etc.

Anyway, the theory goes: The ICU is not transitioning off idle upon throttling, causing a lean condition and the flat spot. Sounds good anyway. After this, I am entirely stumped.

I have a new ICU inbound. Will report back once it arrives.

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Dialing in a 2.2L WBX engine Reply with quote

ICU amperages are SUPPOSED to flucuate as it adapts the motor valve to idle needs, the voltage will flucuate somewhat as the voltage drop across the motor occurs. but matters not, just disconnect the wire plug on the ICV and run it to see if it is still hanging to pinpoint that issue to the idle control circuit. you may have to bump up your idle speed with the large screw on the throttle body. but remember that the ICV is using METERED air so it really isn't going to cause a lean condition on its own. yes, it bypasses the throttle plate but not the AFM.

my engine runs fine without the ICV connected, i MAY have to feather the throttle a tad at startup but once warm, it is steady and doesn't falter when power steering pumps demands are present. that said i've reconnected my ICV because i kinda like the hanging idle i get with it... when shifting, it matches engine rpm to trans for a bit smoother syncro mesh. also, at a stoplight, it keeps the coolant flow and oil pressure up a tad, as my idle can run about 1300rpm until i blip the throttle then it settles to 950. i do NOT need to blip the throttle to idle at 950 with the ICV disconnected. so i've got something wonky in my ICV circuit but really don't have the gumption to chase it.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Dialing in a 2.2L WBX engine Reply with quote

Looks like my issue is directly related to the AFM. That said, I connected a known good unit, and still suffered a lag off idle, though not as pronounced.

I had another look at the Bentley wiring diagrams to determine the relationship between the taillight ICU, the AFM, and everything else related. Based on my findings, a great deal of the engine circuitry routes to / from the ICU. But keeping things simple, I rechecked all connections at all terminals / relays / sensors, etc., and removed / cleaned engine ground points. A refurbished ICU arrives today. I agree that this should not impact the off throttle condition. It is quite a leap. But we'll see.

This is entirely frustrating.

erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dialing in a 2.2L WBX engine Reply with quote

Any luck?
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dialing in a 2.2L WBX engine Reply with quote

erikgundy98 wrote:
Sorry man. That sucks.

I just replaced my distributor and Hall Sensor (in distributor) and my flat spot is gone. Ran all over Portland today with noticeable improvement.

I am still going to replace fuel pump and tank later this week as I have the parts.

So a few days later, my problem (which sounds a lot like yours) came back. Just not peppy in low RPMs (like a flat spot)... So... I continue to eagerly watch your thread.
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dialing in a 2.2L WBX engine Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0cyvKi4V4CI

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dialing in a 2.2L WBX engine Reply with quote

As mentioned earlier, I replaced my AFM with a known good loaner from Jerry at NWCR (engine builder.) He's a nice guy.

I also received / installed a rebuilt replacement ICU (behind the tail light) From Van Café. Equally nice folks over there.

And finally, I checked and reterminated all of my engine compartment grounds. Based on the wiring diagram in the Bentley, the ICU ground appears "shared" with a number of the connected components, to include the ISV and the relay within the little black box on the far left of the engine bay (where the fuel pump relay sits.) A number of engine grounds come to a head at one point on the left.

My driving experience following this work is much improved. The engine is still a little flat off the line when cold, but not nearly as poor as before. It pulls nicely up hills, and I have good throttle response. Oh, and no more sticking idle!

Since I've yet to find any correlation between the ICU and the "flat spot" syndrome (other than some theory,) I am fairly confident the failure is within the AFM. That said, I noticed even better performance with both the AFM and ICU replaced. Perhaps they were both failing...

Jerry has since sold me his loaner, so I am up and running again.

I haven't given up on my old AFM just yet. I'll work on it a little more (now as a hobby) to see if I can fix whatever issue it had. I've read a number of blogs to potentially correct the tracking on the carbon strip. But for now I have a good running Van.

Last edited by delibessleep on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dialing in a 2.2L WBX engine Reply with quote

T3 Pilot wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0cyvKi4V4CI

Yep...I've studied that Video! Thanks for posting!

SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dialing in a 2.2L WBX engine Reply with quote

That is a great video, as I watched it they noted a couple problems that I have at random. I decided to check my TPS setting and discovered that the adjustment mechanism on my switch isn't working properly. The adjustment mechanism use to work so something must have come lose or broke. Looks like a little TPS R&R work is in my future.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: