Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche 912 engine oil
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shlomi32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Porsche 912 engine oil Reply with quote

Hi all
I just start to work on a 65 Porsche 912.
It have the original 1600 engine all original except the carburetor that changed to weber carbs.

I looked the web to figure out what engine oil should I put in it but can't find any thing... Can you help me with that information?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 912 engine oil Reply with quote

No different than a 1600 VW. It depends on your weather....but unless you have something special done.....an SAE 30 or 10-30 if you have variable weather...up to a 10-40 or an SAE 40 max.

Yes....some people run SAE 50 and 20-50....but without extra displacement and high performance mods....the excessively thick oil can cause issues with teh pressure relief valves.

If your engine is fully broken in ...but not yet high mileage....say 30,000 miles or less....you can go to a synthetic oil. Lower friction...longer life.

If you have over 30k miles...and have not already been using synthetic from day 1....do not start using it.

Regular non-synthetic oils leave sediments in the engines down in the nooks and crannies of the case.....because the normal oils do not keep these particles in suspension. Its not an issue if you keep running normal oils.

But...engines with high miles on normal oil...and lots of sediments......If you change to synthetic oils....its high detergency washes all of those particles and sludge loose and pumps them through the system. Sometimes that can be bad depending on how much junk is in the sediment.

If this is a new rebuild...you should use a light break in oil high in ZDDP....like Joe Gibbs flap tappet engine break in oil.

If you want to run a good basic non-synthetic oil that has plenty of everything in it...Valvoline VR-1 series SAE-30 or 10W-30 should be just fine. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 912 engine oil Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
No different than a 1600 VW. It depends on your weather....but unless you have something special done.....an SAE 30 or 10-30 if you have variable weather...up to a 10-40 or an SAE 40 max.

Yes....some people run SAE 50 and 20-50....but without extra displacement and high performance mods....the excessively thick oil can cause issues with teh pressure relief valves.

If your engine is fully broken in ...but not yet high mileage....say 30,000 miles or less....you can go to a synthetic oil. Lower friction...longer life.

If you have over 30k miles...and have not already been using synthetic from day 1....do not start using it.

Regular non-synthetic oils leave sediments in the engines down in the nooks and crannies of the case.....because the normal oils do not keep these particles in suspension. Its not an issue if you keep running normal oils.

But...engines with high miles on normal oil...and lots of sediments......If you change to synthetic oils....its high detergency washes all of those particles and sludge loose and pumps them through the system. Sometimes that can be bad depending on how much junk is in the sediment.

If this is a new rebuild...you should use a light break in oil high in ZDDP....like Joe Gibbs flap tappet engine break-in oil.

If you want to run a good basic non-synthetic oil that has plenty of everything in it...Valvoline VR-1 series SAE-30 or 10W-30 should be just fine. Ray

Is it a real 912 engine or the 912e? "Oh! I see it's real 65! If you go over to the Pelican Forum you would likely get an ear full on oil to use I would agree the VR-1 Oil would be fine. Is it a newly rebuilt engine? Probably go with the 10W-30. But I run the Mobil 1 0W-40 A40 Porsche oil in my Air cooled VW not using extra ZDDP.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: