Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shell back from paint-do I need a dolly? (Bug)
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Shell back from paint-do I need a dolly? (Bug) Reply with quote

Body is fully painted and no windows etc in it-just the shell.
The chassis is done....wheels, brakes, front end, steering, body seal, motor mounted to chassis.
Do I need a dolly to do the headliner, wiring harness, etc?
Why would it help me reassemble my bug? I’m trying to justify a dolly at this point. I’m a small guy and can’t see the need for it to be honest.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Shell back from paint-do I need a dolly? (Bug) Reply with quote

No
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Shell back from paint-do I need a dolly? (Bug) Reply with quote

Hello,
Wants and needs are two different things...
If you have the room for one, they are great, it gets you up off the ground when working on the body.
Best is when they are multi purpose. When not in use(for body off stuff), attach a sheet of plywood/metal top to it; you can use it to place parts during a strip down, keeps stuff off the ground and tripping over it.. The options are endless, when doing restos.. a rolling transformers jigging system...a body and paint mans dream come true..
Sounds like you "want" one, so build one; if you have the room. I don't want to stand in the way of another mans wants/desires.... But, you don't "need" one to finish your project. You already have the factory dolly, your chassis.
But, you do "need" the overhead lift, to place the body on the chassis now..... since the motor and tranny are in place on the assembled chassis. You don't want to scratch anything...
Glad to help you out.....
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Shell back from paint-do I need a dolly? (Bug) Reply with quote

Thank you. I’m thinking of using cinder blocks until I tap all the holes, etc..
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Shell back from paint-do I need a dolly? (Bug) Reply with quote

It sure is nice to be able to stand up inside the body when doing wiring, headliner, etc. A couple of well built sawhorses are really handy. Build them wide and high enough and the chassis can roll under them. And they can stack on each other when not being used.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Shell back from paint-do I need a dolly? (Bug) Reply with quote

Makes sense. I might give that a try. Money is getting tight. Still have to do interior! Ugh
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: