Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 13 Window Deluxe OG paint build.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 13 Window Deluxe OG paint build. Reply with quote

Could you guys tell if this is a 6v starter or 12v?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 13 Window Deluxe OG paint build. Reply with quote

halchka99 wrote:
Could you guys tell if this is a 6v starter or 12v?

Scrub on the solenoid. It will be stamped with either 12v or 6v.
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 13 Window Deluxe OG paint build. Reply with quote

by the look of the shaft, i would say 6volt, but its hard to tell
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 13 Window Deluxe OG paint build. Reply with quote

Need help ID-ing this motor. Checking it with the engine codes here and it’s not making sense to me. It’s a 1600
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 13 Window Deluxe OG paint build. Reply with quote

B motors were 1600 single ports, early bay.

Yours does only have a 6 digit number, though. restamped after a rebuild perhaps?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 13 Window Deluxe OG paint build. Reply with quote

I think that’s where the confusion comes in. It’s currently dual port
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 13 Window Deluxe OG paint build. Reply with quote

Well, that 'FIRING ORDER' stamping is a type off that lots of cheap junk has been bolted onto your engine.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 13 Window Deluxe OG paint build. Reply with quote

halchka99 wrote:

not really, an engine number from 50 years ago is just a clue as to what it once was. 3 or 4 rebuilds later, different heads are the most likely "upgrade" it would have had.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 13 Window Deluxe OG paint build. Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
halchka99 wrote:

not really, an engine number from 50 years ago is just a clue as to what it once was. 3 or 4 rebuilds later, different heads are the most likely "upgrade" it would have had.

This is true!

Another question.

Can I use a 6v starter on a type 3 12v tranny with a 12v engine? Flywheel is 12v

I have the starter bushing to fit a 6v starter in a 12v tranny but will the teeth line up? I assume it will not line up.

I do have a 109 tooth flywheel that accepts a 200mm disk, I should be able to bolt this up to my 1600cc? I think this is one of those rare 66 model year flywheels. Its currently on my 1500cc running 12v with a 6volt starter in a 6v tranny.

Bad photo of the 1600 with the 12v flywheel but i'll get another one later today

and this is the 6v flywheel on my 1500cc with a 200mm disk.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 13 Window Deluxe OG paint build. Reply with quote

The 6 volt starter won't mesh with the 12 volt flywheel.

Using the 6 volt I.D. with 12 volt O.D. bushing you will be able to force fit the starter but it won't mesh and will destroy the teeth on both gears.

What is the voltage battery and bus voltage system you are choosing? I bet you are 6 volt or else you'd just throw on a 12 volt starter.

The rare 200mm 6 volt is the one with O-ring but any 6 volt 200mm flywheel should fit your crank as it was most likely O-ring so it is the smaller diameter and will fit both O-ring and non O-ring 6 volt flywheels.
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 13 Window Deluxe OG paint build. Reply with quote

Barry,

Thank you for the reply.

I'm actually 12v so I could just throw in a 12v starter (was trying to avoid buying if I didn't have to)

So the other option would be to use the 6v flywheel from my 1500 on the 1600 and keep the 6v starter in there.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 13 Window Deluxe OG paint build. Reply with quote

halchka99 wrote:
So the other option would be to use the 6v flywheel from my 1500 on the 1600 and keep the 6v starter in there.

Yes, along with the apropos mating material at the flange.

halchka99 wrote:

There's a seller on here that makes combo starters. If it exists (usually it's the other way around) he might sell you the 12 volt adapter Bendex gear for your 6 volt starter. Maybe someone can find the classified link.
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 13 Window Deluxe OG paint build. Reply with quote

Yeah I may have come across that listing. I think I’m over complicating this.

Looks like buy a 12v starter and be done with it is a much better decision.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: