Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Was there ever a bumper for a 68-up beetle that looked like a bus bumper, straight but for the 90-degree turns at each end? It also has these weird plates inside the 90-degree bends that make it look like it wouldn't fit on a bus, so I'm wondering what the heck it is. Mounting point have vertical bolt-holes too, never seen a place on a bug to bolt up a bumper like that. I'm guessing it was a miss-click, since 'Type 1/Bug - 1968-up' and 'Type 2/Bus - 1949-67' are right next to each-other in the list. I could link to the classified ad I'm talking about, but I don't want to raise any ire since I might buy something from them in the future! I'm not trying to rag on the person that posted the ad, but I am thinking he'd get more buyers if it was in the right place and/or the ad had a more descriptive title/desc that mentioned the applicable model somewhere. It would help mitigate miss-click confusion. I could send him a message, but some folks don't like being corrected no matter how nicely it's put and I'm not interested in getting my head bit off.
So, is this a good stupid question?

TL/DR- Probable miss-click category selection in model-ambiguous classified ad, what would you do?

Edit: Well, read all the positive feedback on the seller and decided to send them a friendly email pointing out the mistake, should be fine.
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk

Last edited by VeeDubWolf on Tue May 22, 2018 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Stingymurder1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

help me my car sounds like shit and I can't get it running right? I've done everything I can most the stuff new she sounds like she running on a few cylinders n not all four. New everything

Somehow I got it running today since December it's been sitting..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MthpUtKi3yQ&feature=youtu.be

This is what she sounds like as of this MORNING
Stingymurder1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Email [email protected] for details pictures and videos of the car. Was rebuilt in 2010.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

adjust the valves correctly, set timing, fix vacuum leeks(tighten the end pieces,make sure they have gaskets and the old ones are scraped off,new boots etc) put a new set of bosch platinum spark plugs in, dont break them.good luck
AMD_Alien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Stupid Question
Is it possible to cut a key from my '73 super into a new volkswagen flip key blank and use the flip key instead of the original?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

should the headlining on my 74 cabrio be attached to something behind the plastic hinge covers? at the moment they aren't and flap open when the top is put back up. thanks for any replies

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

AMD_Alien wrote:
Stupid Question
Is it possible to cut a key from my '73 super into a new volkswagen flip key blank and use the flip key instead of the original?

The 'flip key' probably doesn't have the right 'profile'.

Alternatively, you could have your stock beetle key, cut off the 'blade' and use the 'flip key' as a template to know where to drill the hole for the retaining 'circlip' pin which you could tap out of the flip key, put the beetle key in, and tap the retainer pin back into the flip key mechanism.

I'd get a few extra regular beetle keys cut so you can mess it up and not worry about not having keys for the beetle.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
AMD_Alien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
AMD_Alien wrote:
Stupid Question

The 'flip key' probably doesn't have the right 'profile'.

Alternatively, you could have your stock beetle key, cut off the 'blade' and use the 'flip key' as a template to know where to drill the hole for the retaining 'circlip' pin which you could tap out of the flip key, put the beetle key in, and tap the retainer pin back into the flip key mechanism.

I'd get a few extra regular beetle keys cut so you can mess it up and not worry about not having keys for the beetle.

Thanks for the reply will definitely look into more as well as purchase a few extra blanks for the bug and have them cut. will also purchase a flip key blank as theyre only around $5 for 2 and see what the lockshop at the end of street can do with it.
Thanks
-Andrew
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ctknecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

From what I have gathered, in a 1969 Beetle the rubber floor mat was listed as the color "lava" (code 046). What is that color, black?

I have noticed in years they list "lava" as a color for the floor lining (carpet), they have a couple different greys listed (rock grey & tin grey), but never "black", so that's why I think it is black (or very dark grey).

Also, in other years, the floor mat color was listed as "grey" (code 727) so I figure lava is likely the color black.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FaanP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Please help .... I have a 71, where is the brake fluid reservoir?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Front trunk, as you are at the spare tire looking into the trunk it is on your right, near the hood hinge spring.
FaanP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Front trunk, as you are at the spare tire looking into the trunk it is on your right, near the hood hinge spring.

Thanks ... will go and check
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

FaanP wrote:
EVfun wrote:

Thanks ... will go and check

You might want to download and read a scanned copy of an orignal owner's manual for your '71 Beetle, there's quite a bit of good information in there.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/71bug.php
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

okay, my turn
What is this relay in the back of my car?(Edit: towards the bottom of the picture- ignore my hand pic was of unrelated things) Embarassed Driver's side under the rear seat. Thought it was a HSR at first, but I swear I've seen some pretty factory stock bugs with it too. So I'm figuring it's a stock set up.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

That's the factory relay for the rear heated window element.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
That's the factory relay for the rear heated window element.

Hmm...I don't have a rear heated defroster. Then is it possibly a HSR then? Looks like I'll have some wire tracing to do lol
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The only way to know for certain what it's for will be to trace the wires, but that is the exact location where the factory put the rear window defogger relay. You wouldn't happen to have a small black rocker switch under the dash near the fuse box would you?

Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
The only way to know for certain what it's for will be to trace the wires, but that is the exact location where the factory put the rear window defogger relay. You wouldn't happen to have a small black rocker switch under the dash near the fuse box would you?

Don't think I have one of those switches, although I'll certainly take a good close look next time I'm with the bug. My back glass is OG VW etched too (although that doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't been replaced before)

Thanks for the info mukluk! That'll get me a good start to figure this out.
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Definitely no VW wire ends. My guess is it ends up being a HSR.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ricksurfin wrote:
Definitely no VW wire ends. My guess is it ends up being a HSR.

Thanks guys! I suspect it's gonna end up a HSR.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Page 52 of 128

Jump to: