Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front disc brake conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
I can only speak for the SACO kit. After 7 months they seem to be better. Real stopping power w easy install w 14's. Good kit

I have SACO on my 15 inch wheels and the pads clack around making a sound like a horse trotting down the street. Yours do that?

Sorry you are having the problems Dan.

I liked the "look" of the SACOs but was worried by all the comments. I called both SACO and Ronnie at Bustoration.

A person at SACO denied there was any problem with their product and accused me of spreading lies about them. (I referred them to this thread and the response was "..none of those comments are real..")

Ronnie (at least at that time) no longer sold the kits over-the-counter. He would sell them installed. He would not say why, but my guess is that he got tired of the problems. While Ronnie sold the kits there was a disclaimer on the website that all warranty issues would have to be dealt with through the manufacturer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
I can only speak for the SACO kit. After 7 months they seem to be better. Real stopping power w easy install w 14's. Good kit

I have SACO on my 15 inch wheels and the pads clack around making a sound like a horse trotting down the street. Yours do that?

Sorry you are having the problems Dan.

I liked the "look" of the SACOs but was worried by all the comments. I called both SACO and Ronnie at Bustoration.

A person at SACO denied there was any problem with their product and accused me of spreading lies about them. (I referred them to this thread and the response was "..none of those comments are real..")

Ronnie (at least at that time) no longer sold the kits over-the-counter. He would sell them installed. He would not say why, but my guess is that he got tired of the problems. While Ronnie sold the kits there was a disclaimer on the website that all warranty issues would have to be dealt with through the manufacturer.

Hey Larry, yeah I'm wishin I would have spent the extra several hundred and got the CSP brakes. They work fine, don't get me wrong, but the clacking is annoying. I was told the only solution is to drill out the calipers where the pin slides through and run a thicker pin. Apparently the hole in the pads is too big for the pin allowing the pads to rattle around.
If anyone knows a better solution pass it on. Whenever I go down the street it sounds like the cavalry are coming.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Apparently the hole in the pads is too big for the pin allowing the pads to rattle around.

This is the only remaining problem I hear about with the SACO's (which I'd like to buy). Someone please correct me if there are others that still occur with them.

If so, wouldn't some sort of sleeve fill this space? Perhaps there is some reason this won't work that's obvious when you are looking at them, but it seems that something like this should fill the gap, no?

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/...4_1000.jpg

There must be at least a couple different things that would fill that space. Plastic tubing? Etc?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

I'd be thinking more along the lines of anti-rattle clips (springs) to keep the pads from rattling. Virtually all late cars have them, like Asian cars in particular. Where are the calipers sourced from? Is there a factory clip that fits them? I rather doubt the cals are specific to this kit.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Z wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Apparently the hole in the pads is too big for the pin allowing the pads to rattle around.

This is the only remaining problem I hear about with the SACO's (which I'd like to buy). Someone please correct me if there are others that still occur with them.

If so, wouldn't some sort of sleeve fill this space? Perhaps there is some reason this won't work that's obvious when you are looking at them, but it seems that something like this should fill the gap, no?

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/...4_1000.jpg

There must be at least a couple different things that would fill that space. Plastic tubing? Etc?

I thought about that too, but finding the correct inner outer dimension sleeve would be a pita.
I don't recall seeing a name brand on the calipers? I know what you mean Bruce about the clips, but not sure of another brand would fit?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Outkast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Gave Sacos a try Nope Sad several issues Bailed went with CSP super Happy worth the extra expense

57 kombi

" f!@#k"Cancer
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rusties
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

That’s righ OutKast!

We’ve installed a few sets of the SACO disc kits.
Each time there is a problem or modification that needs to be made to fit the kit. Unfortunate as they look like a wicked kit and at an affordable price.

I prefer the CSP kit over any others. For installation and performance.
Everything fits right the first time.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Z wrote:

Don't those get pretty hot? Not sure id want plastic on my brakes.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Z wrote:

Don't those get pretty hot? Not sure id want plastic on my brakes.

Good point. Scratch plastic.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

I wasn't going to plug the CSP disc brake kit again in this thread...but I will. It is a direct bolt on, outstanding craftsmanship, and just plain works. Do you guys really think trying to modify a new kit out of the box is worth it? If I spend that kind of money on a SACO kit, it better be complete, function well, and most importantly. ..work.
Wagonswest has a few different options that are well thought out...and work.
PapaG1954
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Is it true that you have to change the front beam on a 67 Bus to put on a power boost master cylinder when you change to disc brakes conversion?
THANKS
EricWi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

So I gave the EMPI front disc brake kit a try, on my ‘66 type 2, because the price seemed reasonable. The installation was straight forward. My bus is a lot more fun to drive now that I can stop good with out any pull. Quite a bit of pedal pressure is required but it stops good.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

EricWi wrote:
So I gave the EMPI front disc brake kit a try, on my ‘66 type 2, because the price seemed reasonable. The installation was straight forward. My bus is a lot more fun to drive now that I can stop good with out any pull. Quite a bit of pedal pressure is required but it stops good.

Outstanding, thanks for sharing
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

These Empi disc brakes have been out a while now, has anyone else tried them and care to comment? Also, is this a commonly used caliper from another vehicle?

Thanks
J.
(321) 449-4665

Specializing in repair and maintenance for Porsche, BMW, Mini, Audi, and Volkswagen.

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
1961 L-380 Turkis Deluxe Beetle
1985 Vanagon Country Homes Camper (work in progress - EG33 swap)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

EricWi wrote:
So I gave the EMPI front disc brake kit a try, on my ‘66 type 2, because the price seemed reasonable.

Thanks for being the one willing to give these brakes a try.
What master cylinder are you running? Stock single? Dual '67? Late Bay with the spacer? Thanks!
VWDC62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Any reviews on the Wagenswest kit?
1962 Double Cab✅
ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Wagenswest babystang kit seemed a bit undersized. (for 14" wheels).

The oldspeed kit for 14" wheels works way better.

I can't comment on any of the kits that work with 15" wheels.

I'm using the 67 only mc.
I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

instagram is http://instagram.com/bullidriversteelworks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWDC62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Bottom line, what is the best kit for 62’ with stock wheels?
Let’s say money is no consideration. What is the best out of Wagenswest, old speed, csp, Saco, empi, etc...
1962 Double Cab✅
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

VWDC62 wrote:
Bottom line, what is the best kit for 62’ with stock wheels?
Let’s say money is no consideration. What is the best out of Wagenswest, old speed, csp, Saco, empi, etc...

I've never heard anything bad about the CSP kit. Can't say that about the others exception eMpi but then it's relatively new.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Pacmanfever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Isn't there a backflow restrictor in the master cylinder for drum brakes that needs to addressed when running disc?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 48

Jump to: