Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jouko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Finally had a chance to get to installing this...my tire/wheel setup consists of BFG K02 215/70R16 on CLK alloys. Some slight clearancing on the side rails, bent down the vertical seam on the transverse beam and the tire slid in nicely. Alas, could not get reverse engaged, the space is at a premium up there. Deflated the tire, tried again, and....Success!

Very happy! I didn’t want to be that guy with two rear mounted spares, but wanted a second spare for our adventures.

Thank you Jim!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Jouko, thanks for the great feedback and your willingness to make it work for your tire/rim size.
Let me know if having the tire in the stock location provides a better ride and quiets things down. It did for me and I'd like to hear your opinion as well.

Beautiful vehicle.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bmxanddie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Just ordered your last one I believe! I will post pics after the install. Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

bmxanddie wrote:
Just ordered your last one I believe! I will post pics after the install. Thank you!

You did and thank you. I'll have to get my fixtures out and get some more built today - right after I get yours to the Post Office!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

jouko wrote:
BFG K02 215/70R16 on CLK alloys.

how much lower than the stock clamshell, does the front of your spare tire carrier hang down at the front edge?

Is the tire carrier now the first point of contact on approach?

I can see using that carrier on a 2wd, surprised to see it on a syncro.
jouko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

As I’ve currently set it up, the leading bottom edge of the carrier is 11cm (4.3”) lower than the front apron of the Vanagon. I could push up the tire another 15mm or so, but this also brings up the height of the rear tire sidewall by a bit, making the shifting to reverse difficult.

Even with the front of the carrier at a “low” position, I’m left with 36cm (14.2”) clearance from ground to leading edge of carrier. The leading bottom edge of the tire sits about 2cm lower, as seen in the picture

Naturally, this will depend on your tires and suspension setup. As the gnarliest terrain we see is fire roads and some double track, I’m not too concerned about the “exposed” carrier. And, to clarify, Clifford is not a Syncro.

Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

jouko wrote:
As I’ve currently set it up, the leading bottom edge of the carrier is 11cm (4.3”) lower than the front apron of the Vanagon.
the gnarliest terrain we see is fire roads and some double track, I’m not too concerned about the “exposed” carrier. And, to clarify, Clifford is not a Syncro.

Thanks for the pics and measurements!

I dont think I will be able to convince crazyvwvanman to give up 4.3" on his Syncro w 26" tires in the stock clam, even though he would gain 1.8" with your tire, having the spare be a point of first contact might be an issue for his offroading.

Glad the underhang is not an issue for your 2wd, the way you use it. Great looking van Smile
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

I just built 12 more carriers ready to ship.
To be clear, I can't say what tire/rim combinations will fit. What I know from my own experience is a fully inflated 215/70R-16 mounted on a steel 7" wide rim will fit once you do a bit of frame clearancing for the diameter. This same tire mounted on a 7-1/2" rim (like the GW alloys) will not fit as the shift rod hits the tire when you push down to get to reverse. Others have found ways around this - your call.

The rack is not the limit as to what will fit - it’s the distance between the (stock) formed sheet metal cross-brace that the clamshell hinges are welded to, and the bottom of the shift rod that determines fit for your spare. The back of the tire sits on this brace. The rack holds the front of the tire and adjusts for radiator hose configurations.

To check fit for your spare tire/rim, measure from the surface of this brace to the bottom of your shift rod and jot down the number. Then lay your spare on the ground, toss a board across it, and measure from the ground to the bottom of the board - this is your tire width.
Take your first measurement, subtract your tire width, and you'll have the clearance dimension. If it’s more than 3/8” you are good. If it’s less, you’ll either have to let air out or make modifications to the brace.

Jim
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
... 7-1/2" rim (like the GW alloys) will not fit as the shift rod hits the tire when you push down to get to reverse. Others have found ways around this...

one solution is to lower the rear hinge
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8367166#8367166
joetiger wrote:
U-bolts...

Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Again, to clarify, if you follow the u-bolt lowering link mentioned above you'll see that "This is with a "fully-inflated 215/70/15 Geolandar and 15x7 Ronal wheel".

A 16" diameter tire will move farther back onto the cross-brace which is tapered upwards towards the bottom of the van. This causes the tire to go up (closer to the shift rod). My 215/70R-16 on a 7" wide rim doesn't touch the rack rods in the back - at least on my unit.

If I were adamant about getting a 16" tire on a 7-1/2" wide rim in there, I'd lower the cross brace about 3/4". This would require cutting it loose, re-welding it, and having it re-aligned.

For a 15" tire - even on a 7-1/2" rim I believe my rack will work without any modifications or lowering hardware. I haven't tried it though. Wink
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

jouko wrote:
Finally had a chance to get to installing this...my tire/wheel setup consists of BFG K02 215/70R16 on CLK alloys. Some slight clearancing on the side rails, bent down the vertical seam on the transverse beam and the tire slid in nicely. Alas, could not get reverse engaged, the space is at a premium up there. Deflated the tire, tried again, and....Success!

Very happy! I didn’t want to be that guy with two rear mounted spares, but wanted a second spare for our adventures.

Thank you Jim!

Can you clarify on these points? Not exactly sure what you mean, or how you did the modifications. i need to be spoonfed Embarassed Laughing
1. Some slight clearancing on the side rails
2. bent down the vertical seam on the transverse beam

I'm going to get some BFGs on a set of CLKs... for my syncro... and so will be in your shoes soon. Want to be sure I can make it work like you have.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
If I were adamant about getting a 16" tire on a 7-1/2" wide rim in there, I'd lower the cross brace about 3/4". This would require cutting it loose, re-welding it, and having it re-aligned.

too bad for the guys with GW 16x7.5" alloys then

DeadSetMonkey wrote:
I'm going to get some BFGs on a set of CLKs... for my syncro...

imnsho, it is a pretty bad idea to hang a syncro spare 4.5" lower than stock, if you go off pavement. I can envision that spare getting hit and jammed backwards in ways I would not want.

imnso this low slung carrier is not suitable for a syncro that goes offroad, unless the spare never makes contact on approach to an obstacle.

would work fine on pavement and smooth dirt roads though, if thats all your syncro sees...
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Got the kit today in the mail and put it on. The kit is nice and complete. It ships compact and well packaged. The hardware comes in a nice take out sauce container that I can reuse for excess soy sauce or sriracha sauce. I put everything together ready for install in 3 minutes 47 seconds.

Van/Bus: 91 syncro westy
Wheel/tire: 215/65/16 KO2 on CLKs

For my future bumper set up I wont need a spare tire carrier and can have two boxes/shelves. I will have more room for activities!

It tucks away really nicely. I don't plan on extreme off-roading just blm and green ohv trails camp trails.

Plenty of clearance and did not have to grind away any material and did not have to deflate.

One issue is the retaining latch is larger than the cut out in the bracket to fit inside. I will have to figure this out later after I sit on the side of the road pissed off with a tire mark on my face.

I also might have put the cotter on the wrong side or didn't drive it in far enough and it made contact with the sidewall.

I rotated the tire and it fit perfectly into the shoulder tread.

The coolant lines rest on top of the wheel. I can lift the wheel off the kit so I figure on bumps it will be moving around so I zip tied the spokes to the bars. I am wondering if I need to zip tie the coolant lines against something under there to keep it off the wheel. I deflated the tire and got more relief off the coolant line (did not require deflating for fit anywhere else).

I didn't do any measurements but can if needed.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Eli,
Thanks for the great feedback on the carrier. If you (or anyone) can provide the width of the latch, I'll make a new plate to match once I know how wide yours is. I wasn't aware VW changed the latch from my 82 sheet metal unit.

I can also send two more roll pins to replace the cotters. They won't stick up above the hinge OD but they will be tougher to remove.

Also, You can loosen the two bolts on the slide and raise your tire until it's not loose. There is even another set of holes if you need to go higher.

Jim
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Not a problem. There were so many subtle changes and you built the kit off your own van. Everything else is top notch
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

I saw Shane at LiveTheVanLife have one of these on his IG story. I wish he threw your name out there!
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I saw Shane at LiveTheVanLife have one of these on his IG story. I wish he threw your name out there!

Yeah, I met Shane last week when he dropped by to pick his up. Great guy and nice van. I'm proud to have my unit on his rig.

Click on the link in my signature if you'r interested in one.

I'm discovering that there are latches that are wider than mine. I'm not sure what years had the wider latch or if it's the actual latch, or a plastic covering.
My latch bar is a tad over 0.2" and I designed the slot in the plate to a bit over that. If anyone has info on what years had this wider latch, that would be great. The next group I build (if interest continues) I will make the latch slot wider. Then it will truly fit all years.
Here's a screenshot of the new plate with the wider slot.
As you may notice in the shot, I am also replacing the cotter pins with the same roll-pins I use in the front. It seems the cotters may interfere with the larger tire's side-wall.

A kind customer provided some pics of his wider latch so here is what it looks like. . .

I sent him a modified plate which he will hopefully receive today.

I can modify the plates I have to accept the wider latch if required, but need to know before I ship. The mod will add one or two days to shipping as I need to re-paint the plate weldment.

Jim
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Got the replacement and fits perfect. Super pleased. Thanks again!

Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Excellent!
Glad it fit the wider latch. Thanks for letting me know.

Jim
Tachyon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Installed and love it, plenty of clearance and room to play with on the adjustments if needed

Van: 1987 Westy
Tire/Wheel: 205/65/16 on Gowesty steel 16"

Thanks for making this product, nice to have that weight back up in the front again instead of hanging off the ass Smile We will probally get some rachet straps to secure it a bit better to the carrier.

//Steven
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: