Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nylon fuel line
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
dumptuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Nylon fuel line Reply with quote

In my research for what lines I should buy, I have come across a confusing subject. It seems like everyone is using rubber lines or braided rubber lines, yet nobody seems to be using nylon. From what I have read, nylon lines are used in most modern vehicles, due to the fact that they won't degrade from modern fuel, high abrasion resistance, great bend radius, higher pressure rating than rubber, and very cheap to buy. So why is nobody using this magic material? Am I missing something?

Also, how much line should I buy for my engine? I have a 1600cc single carb, I believe it is a dual port (as my bus is a '71) but I am not certain.

What size diameter lines should I buy? Some places I read tell me I need 5.5mm, some tell me 1/4", some tell me 5mm. Which is correct? Does it actually matter?

Lastly, where can I find a guide for where all my lines are? Ratwell only seems to have a tutorial for FI, Muir and Bentley don't even seem to mention fuel lines in any detail for some reason.

Yes, I have read through the fuel line thread, but for some reason none of this is covered in there as far as I can tell (I might be wrong, maybe I missed something). Thank you all once again!
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Nylon fuel hose Reply with quote

This^^^ Why isn’t anyone switching to nylon lines?
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Nylon fuel hose Reply with quote

Ray will be chiming in shortly with everything you will need to know about nylon lines. The fix for a type 4 engine is simple by using Gates Barricade. My guess is that properly crimping the nylon to the fittings to get a flawless seal will be a challenge.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Nylon fuel hose Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

If you want high pressure and chemical resistance and are afraid of rubber...simply look at what the factories are doing. Go to nylon lines. No fuels will touch them, highly abrasion resistance, great bend radius, higher pressures than rubber....equal to teflon in that respect....and cheap as dirt.
Ray

raygreenwood wrote:
I think I will take my lead with nylon by watching the OEM's. They use tons of nylon tubing inside of the engine compartment ...but most is a respectful distance from the hot metal engine surfaces....mostly around the firewall area and over the top of the engine.....and rarely (but sometimes yes) do I see fuel under pressure piped right up to and connected to the manifold in nylon. Of course most all of them have fuel rails. Ray

raygreenwood wrote:

Yes...PA-11 is THE fuel line nylon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon_11

There is no need to verify. Yes...I have plenty of experience with it....as do now more cars than VW has ever produced.

It is used by nearly 100% of all OEM's in the past decade for primary out of body tunnel fuel line runs. Most still use steel lines through the tunnel where out of site cracks or breaks can contaminate the air and produce an enclosed flammable atmosphere.

That being said they are VERY abrasion resistant...impervious to EVERY motor fuel on the market from E-85 through diesel.

Many manufacturers use nylon 100% for all free lines except for very tight radius anti-vibration links between fuel rail and feed line. In those cases they use high pressure, reinforced fluoroelastomer rubber hose like barricade for short lengths with swaged couplings.

In fact VW/Audi group, BMW and Mercedes for sure....have used exclusively Nylon 11 for all free run lines since the late 90's. This means between pump outlet at the tank, to filter, for return...and for instance on my Golf and Jetta since no lines run through the tunnel...the fuel lines are nylon all the way to the body cavity just outside engine compartment.
From there they have a short run of steel because it has many sharp turns.

I have never had a problem with nylon line breakage on any car I have worked on...Ford included. Ford uses a huge volume of Nylon as well.

However...there are some bits and pieces you will want to observe.

It MUST be properly grommeted on body openings and fastened down properly wherever it goes. You do not want long lengths flapping around. This goes for rubber line too.
You must observe proper bend radius (unless you are using a heat molded nylon tube with a tight bend). Keep it a reasonable distance from high heat. It should NEVER get above 185 F....so you do not use it inside of an enclosed engine compartment. Same rules as plastic fuel line filters.

You have to work out proper joining...but that really is not an issue. Most of your components can have female push fittings installed with pressure unions of virtually any size and shape available on line. So that means fuel pump, steel lines through the body, fuel pressure regulator....can all easily have fittings threaded onto them that simply allow you to push-lock the nylon fuel line into them just like factory.

If you can guarantee that your engine compartment will never exceed 185F...you can install unions with female push-locks on the ends of the fuel rails at each side. I am not sure yet how to attache to the factory CSV. The regulator inlet would also be a pressure union with female fitting.
Ray
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Nylon fuel line Reply with quote

Saw these fittings being used. As far as I know, line is warmed up and fitted, done. And they are quick release.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Nylon fuel line Reply with quote

Thanks, Tcash. Just saw your post after posting the above pics
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Nylon fuel line Reply with quote

The biggest problem I see would be the fittings.
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Nylon fuel line Reply with quote

I’m not familiar with type 4 lines or fittings. I’m thinking for my upright. In the pics I posted there looks to be a transition adapter to be able to fit that quick release fitting. I would assume that would simplify the fitting situation
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Nylon fuel line Reply with quote

a solution in search of a problem. Use Gates Barricade. It is also approved for fuel in smog states.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Nylon fuel line Reply with quote

The barbed fittings.....are only lightly heated. The big deal is that where barbs are actually used....they are typically heated to maybe 200° F.....and "pressed" in with a ratchet style tool.

Using barbed fittings is only really necessary in certain areas where getting to the joint is not an easy access.....meaning connections inside the car body, inside the fuel tank etc.

Otherwise....for instance.....in that picture of the fuel filter that Dogo posted......you can get those same fittings....with female quick connects.....on both ends.

This changes things a bit. Laughing ...but your brain first starts thinking....."but the male fuel line still needs a flange for the female quick connect to latch onto".....right?

Yes.......and those can be installed with barbs. But unlike the plastic barbs you see in Dogo's picture....the barbed, flanged connectors do not have to have HUGE ridges on the barbs like those plastic ones. Metal ones do not compress at all. All it needs is a bump....and you CAN clamp them.

You can even insert fittings with a dead smooth fit and slight corrugations...heat to about 225° F with a heat gun....and simply crimp the outside.

There are also double ended female line connectors that use a slightly different clip system and use the same internal o-rings to seal. They are similar to air line connectors. They are leak free to over 150 psi.

Nylon is a great solution for everywhere but inside the engine compartment. You find ambient temp range listed right at 212° constant. Not because it will melt....the melt point of Nylon 11 is between 430° and 500°F......but because it starts fo expand enough that at highest rated pressure.....it may leak at the fittings.

So in our cars..... long run sections with no fittings.... passing through the area forward of the engine compartment to the gas tank....or even farther forward to those of use with types 1, 3 and 4 cars with front mounted fuel tanks.....even getting radiant heat upwards to 250° + from brakes and transmission.....is not a problem.

But the OEMs for the most part try to keep nylon out of the engine compartment where it can get close to manifolds. So for instance....with a watercooled car that has a transverse motor and the exhaust manifold exits at the rear next to the firewall....like my Golf.....the nylon line dead ends at the firewall at a pressure flange and has a short rubber flex joint line with swaged fittings. It connects to short clamped down formed metal lines....and then clamps to the fuel rail.....which is a molded glass filled polyphenylene thermoplastic.

This method is actually not horribly far from what VW did in our cars with D and L-jet. They just take it a little farther.
A modern variant in our cars if they were still in production.....would be nylon from the tank to pump, from pump to engine compartment....ending at a quick disconnect bulkhead fitting on the sheet metal, a high quality, swaged rubber flex joint....probably with outer braiding.....to a push fit connector on the metal fuel rail for #1 and 2 that we already have.
Then another rubber connector hose to a bent steel line that say....runs along the #2 injection runner.....or you can make it all one piece all the way up to the CSV.....which would either use threaded fittings or another pair of short clamped rubber parts.....joining to another formed line that goes to 3 and 4.....and a short clamped flex line to the regulator.....which connects on the forward side of the bulkhead to push fit nylon back to the fuel tank return.

While I agree with Hoody that the Gates barricade is a pretty good solution.....I am not convinced its a perfect solution. There have been some hit and miss problems with this hose. Hard to say if its materials or build quality...or even installation issues.
The other issue is cost.

For a long time....even back in the early to mid 90s....on D-jet cars....it was recommended to change your fuel lines out about every three years. Not because they failed....but because even back then in hot climates....they start hardening up. Back then at $1.75-ish a foot.....it just was not a big deal spending $45 on a 30' line change.

Now a full change out every 3-4 years.....will cost 2.5X. Thats getting prohibitive. I can see why the OEMs have gone to non high heat areas of all nylon lines ....at about 25 cents a foot or less and no issues with any fuel.

They are fighting in legislation to behin introducing E-15 this summer Rolling Eyes ....stupid.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Nylon fuel line Reply with quote

dumptuck wrote:
... So why is nobody using this magic material? Am I missing something?...

Likely because (as SGKent points out) it's a simple matter of replacing the existing material with like-kind hose and moving on to the next project. Nylon tubing requires adaptive fittings. No big deal with that, but yeah it's another step.

I'm fairly certain there is a few feet of nylon (or at least it is plastic and not rubber) fuel line serving the gas tank and fuel pump on my 1981 Westfalia, which indicates how long ago material other than rubber was incorporated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Nylon fuel line Reply with quote

Carbureted engines use 5.5mm hose. If you could find nylon fuel line in that size you’d be golden. Since you can’t then you need another hose that’s 5.5mm and will withstand alcohol in our fuel. I found it. It’s made by Honda for things like pressure washer engines. Great stuff. I buy it in 25 foot rolls. Can be found on eBay. You can buy shorter lengths.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173085272953
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Nylon fuel line Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
dumptuck wrote:
... So why is nobody using this magic material? Am I missing something?...

Likely because (as SGKent points out) it's a simple matter of replacing the existing material with like-kind hose and moving on to the next project. Nylon tubing requires adaptive fittings. No big deal with that, but yeah it's another step.

I'm fairly certain there is a few feet of nylon (or at least it is plastic and not rubber) fuel line serving the gas tank and fuel pump on my 1981 Westfalia, which indicates how long ago material other than rubber was incorporated.

Virtually the entire automotive industry uses nylon lines. My sources within the aftermarket tell me that most vehicles since about 1998...are running over 75% of all fuel and vacuum through nylon.

Some cars that I know of are running about 90% nylon.

The automotive industry is phasing out rubber for as many products as possible...as fast as possible.

You cant run it with anti-freeze....but its pressure rating far exceeds any rubber based hose even for brake line...and plenty of people are using nylon brake lines...but its not DOT approved for street use....thank God! It handles the pressure but I would not trust it with a street car for the heat.....but its definitely safer for kinking and cracking than Teflon.

I suspect from things I have been seeing that its only a matter of time until you see some of the new high temp nylons with steel braid for brake lines.

SGKent.....nylon is a solution looking for a problem?.....not hardly....not even remotely.

Gates barricade and its Goodyear counterparts are NOT a viable long term solution to the fuel line problem.

There have been too many instances where it has had issues. Nothing like lower rated fuel lines....but its slowly adding up. Its not perfect by any means. You can no longer 100% count on Barriocade or anything lasting 4 years. And with its cost getting higher.....thats not good. The quality control is not perfect.

The cost for it is high.....and the main industry high volume customers for these high end multi-fuel hoses.....the OEMs...are phasing out rubber fuel line wherever they can.

The money is no longer there in the "rubber" fuel line industry for R&D to keep up with the further changing fuels....and for improvements to manufacturing lines.
Like every other rubber product we have seen...as VOLUME demand drops....the price MUST rise if you keep the quality the same.

The price right now for high end rubber fuel line...is too high for OEMs for new cars....has been for a decade. And...if the quality cannot be 100%...100%...guaranteed with the new fuels......including diesel.....the OEM's will...and have been doing so....walk away.

So the price to the aftermarket will continue to rise. When it hits the price point where teh customer base slows down their change interval....or starts looking at other products.....the only PRICE defense the hose manufacturers have....is to shift manufacturing to offshore/third world....or lower level materials. This affects quality.

And...that is most probably WHY over the past 3-4 years we have been seeing a low level...but wide range of reports....across everything from VW to muscle cars...to private shops working on older cars with lots of rubber fuel line.....that they are seeing some failures in the Barricade products.

Whether its their local blend of fuel....or an issue with the fuel line....is irrelevant. If you are going to pay upwards to $4 a foot.....it better be damn close to perfect.

In a bus?....you guys dont have much fuel line at all. Your damn gas tank is what...3 feet from the engine? Laughing Thats nothing!

Type 3 and type 4 guys...will swallow the best part of 35 feet of fuel line re-hosing and D-jet or L-jet injected system.

The rear drive, water cooled classic Euro cars and most Detroit muscle car can also have more fuel line than a bus. You can only really run steel lines where they can be affixed to something hard that does not heat up.

So...NO...nylon fuel line is not an answer/solution looking for a problem. Its an answer to a problem thats already here and will only get worse.

Also....nylon is dirt freaking cheap. I can get 25 feet of it for under $1 per foot...OEM quality. Depending on diameter....I can usually find it for as low as 50-60 cents a foot if you order 50-100 feet.

The fittings are getting to be cheap now as well...with a huge range of fittings available. If you actually want to....you can plumb the whole system without any barbs...if you shop carefully.

I would suggest...that as cheap as this line is....when you get a chance...play with some of it and a few fittings. Ray
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Nylon fuel line Reply with quote

The hose size has to fit the fitting size. Using 5/16 hose on a 5.5mm fitting is asking for a leak/fire
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Nylon fuel line Reply with quote

Quote:
SGKent.....nylon is a solution looking for a problem?.....not hardly....not even remotely.

Gates barricade and its Goodyear counterparts are NOT a viable long term solution to the fuel line problem.

Could have fooled me. Gates is EPA and CARB approved fuel hose for this age vehicle in California and other smog states. We've already seen fitting failures for nylon line in the Sable where heat is excessive. They get brittle. I'll be using the Gates Barricade and replacing it as needed.

video on Gates Barricade.

Link

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Nylon fuel line Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
The hose size has to fit the fitting size. Using 5/16 hose on a 5.5mm fitting is asking for a leak/fire

Nylon comes it metric hose sizes and metric fittings just as cheap.

It started out on metric cars years before the US mfgs started with it. VWs were using Nylon fuel hoses in the late 80s. Ray
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Nylon fuel line Reply with quote

Never seen it in 5.5. Do you have a link?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Nylon fuel line Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:

Could have fooled me. Gates is EPA and CARB approved fuel hose for this age vehicle in California and other smog states. We've already seen fitting failures for nylon line in the Sable where heat is excessive. They get brittle. I'll be using the Gates Barricade and replacing it as needed.

video on Gates Barricade.

Link

No....nylon...the correct Nylon.... in general does not get brittle with anything less than ahout 15 years of age.

Its not the nylon system.....its Fords junk and crappy design.

Fords Junky fuel system fittings has been a known problem. I too have had issues with Fords fittings....and on a Sable no less!
Especially the nylon locking keys....which are a Ford only design....and flat out suck. Only ford and a few GM use them.

It was yet another case of "not invented here"....where instead of paying about $4 extra per vehicle to use the connector products that had already been perfected....over 25 years of gehicle usage on millions of vehciles.....they chose to reinvent the wheel.

On virtually every Euro and Japanese vehicle.....they use nylon 11 and 12.....which do not get brittle like those crappy "turn yellow and chalky" ....and shatter.....Nylon 6 fitting clips that ford and GM use.

Every single Ford i have worked on the fuel system for.....you have to go buy a bag of those clips at the FLAPS....before you start....because you will break every one of them....and Im talking cars that are 10 years old or less.

I have only broken one on a huge range of VW I have worked on ....on cars that are over 20 years old. Totally different design....totally different material.

Also....a lot of the Ford and GM....are using cheaper fittings....that are not glass fiber filled. They are just plain cheap.

Also.....there are two baseline Nylon formulations for fuel line. One is more flexible and abrasion resistant....very slightly more expensive.....slightly lower burst pressure....but still has burst pressure over 200 psi. The Euro and Asian cars use the more flexible one. At one point early on GM and Ford....used the harder one for a measly 25-30 psi higher burst point.....unnecessary.....and for a few pennies less....and had some issues with long run nylon hose rattling and wearing. Yet another example.....of not looking at what is successful....and being cheap. Stupid.

Dont confuse the idiocy you find on American vehicles with regard to nylon fuel line systems....with the outstanding success they have had.

Nylon is THE FASTEST growing transportation raw material of any of them higher than rubber, steel aluminum.....its closest competitor is glass in every form. In the past five years....there have been over 100 new start up nylon material plants around the world....about 20 that I know of in the US alone.

My 2012 Golf.....has right at 3 total feet of rubber fuel line.....out of about 30 feet of total lines. Only about 6 feet is metal.

You can believe whatever you want.....and eont make me laugh quoting rubber industry propaganda videos.....they do not control the industry. The customers/demand do.....and the rubber....medium pressure ....fluoroelastomer...premium....fuel line industry is shrinking.
Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Nylon fuel line Reply with quote

Ray - am going to continue to use the five layer Gates Barricade hose..
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Nylon fuel line Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:

Wasted is spot on here. The Vanagon has two runs of 8 mm O.D. black plastic hose: one running from the pump outlet to the right-side fuel rail sticking through the front tin, and the other running from the pressure regulator outlet back up to the tank. As far as "fittings" go, VW simply slipped short stubs of regular 7.3 mm F.I.-rated fuel hose over the ends of the plasitc line and slipped the other ends of the stubs over the pump outlet/fuel rail/regulator output/tank inlet. The pressurized run got Oetiker ear clamps put on them to keep the pressure in. The unpressurized return run didn't even need that.

Thing is, when looking for metric nylon hose, ya need to search for its fancy name: polyamide. I figger that Bimmer and Benz drivers don't want to know that there's anything as pedestrian as "nylon" in their vehicles, but polyamide, well that's high-tech and sexy. Razz

Anyhoo, Bel-Metric carries Cohline polyamide hose here: https://www.belmetric.com/polyamide-hard-plastic-hose-c-14_184/ They even have it in clear in some sizes (if, for some reason, you want to see your fuel flowing through the line).
I bet that for the carburated folk, using some of the 6 mm O.D. polyamide line combined with some 5.5 mm I.D. rubber hose would work just as well as VW's Vanagon solution. No fancy fittings required.
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: