Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Truckfridge + Propex + GoWesty Larger Propane Tank?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpstewart19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Truckfridge + Propex + GoWesty Larger Propane Tank? Reply with quote

I am getting ready to install my new TF49 with a Propex underneath like many of the folks here have done. However, my propane tank is I terrible shape (tag 1/2 rusted off, old regulator, etc).

I am looking at getting a new tank and considering the larger tank. Has anyone done this with the Propex location here? I am concerned that the larger tank will block the routing of Propex vent tubes.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
1980 Vanagon Westfalia “Rusty” (Sold)
1982 Vanagon Westfalia “Rusty II” (Sold)
1977 Smurf Blue Campmobile (Sold)
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Truckfridge + Propex + GoWesty Larger Propane Tank? Reply with quote

Well, I am in a similar boat. I have a chest fridge. Going to be adding a gas heater before winter. Will probably need to replace my tank also.

I am considering getting a gasoline powered heater (Espar I think). I'd rather more frequently put gas into my van than a heater. I think it uses like a gallon a night? I use my van for weekends. Not going off the grid for many days.

I'd rather frequently refill my gas tank than the propane tank. Plus I can carry Jerry cans with gas in it.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Truckfridge + Propex + GoWesty Larger Propane Tank? Reply with quote

I added a second propane tank on the passenger side. This way I can run the first tank dry then switch to the second tank and get the first tank refilled next time I pass a filling station. Never have to worry about running out of propane for the propex or stove. YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Truckfridge + Propex + GoWesty Larger Propane Tank? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I added a second propane tank on the passenger side. This way I can run the first tank dry then switch to the second tank and get the first tank refilled next time I pass a filling station. Never have to worry about running out of propane for the propex or stove. YMMV.

Xs 2. Plus i added an external T to the secondary tank for running a bbq or fire pit etc, mr buddy heater inside wall tent etc....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpstewart19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Truckfridge + Propex + GoWesty Larger Propane Tank? Reply with quote

So I also have a second tank which is in good condition. However, I think the primary needs to be replaced. If I am going to replace it, I might as well go with the bigger tank for an extra $100, but want to make sure it won’t block the Propex
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Truckfridge + Propex + GoWesty Larger Propane Tank? Reply with quote

Based on your title, I’m assuming that you’re installing the Propex under the TF (as opposed to installing the Propex under the rear bench, under the bus mounted externally, etc)?

You may want to call some of our excellent vendors such as WestyVentures, Peacevans, etc. They have a ton of experience with Propex and TF installs. Karl at Westyvenutes in particular is very helpful and supportive here. If you haven’t bought the Propex or TF yet, I highly recommend buying from Karl. He’s helped me problem-solve. Ping him and my guess is that he knows the answer and will assist with a good path forward.

http://www.westyventures.com/

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Truckfridge + Propex + GoWesty Larger Propane Tank? Reply with quote

The downsides to the larger 'GW' (Manchester) tank are two-fold: Increased tank height, greatly reduced ground clearance. The tank was not meant to fit a Vanagon so 'changes' are required to make it work and some of them I would never perform in my own shop for customer's safety reasons. I don't believe there will be sufficient space for the Propex pipes to clear the larger tank either. If you need more capacity, add a second tank on the right and tie the two together post-regulator. FYI, the Propex will run approximately 40 hours on a full tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpstewart19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Truckfridge + Propex + GoWesty Larger Propane Tank? Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the info. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Based on this, it sounds like my best bet is to go with the smaller tank.

you are correct that I am planning to put the propex directly under the TF49, along with a converter.

Unfortunately I already have the TF and Propex in my garage ready to go, but have bookmarked your site for future projects.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Truckfridge + Propex + GoWesty Larger Propane Tank? Reply with quote

fwiw I have a larger propane tank mounted onto the passanger side by the sliding door.
it's not difficult to extend the lines to the other side. there are flare to flare couplers available. I ran flexible rubber from the tank to the copper. that's how my ASI Riviera model came from the factory.
https://www.google.com/search?q=flare+to+flare+cou...p;ie=UTF-8

yes it hangs lower.
yes it's nice to have 30# equiv in propane. sometimes.

all depends on your needs, wants and uses.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Truckfridge + Propex + GoWesty Larger Propane Tank? Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
The tank was not meant to fit a Vanagon so 'changes' are required to make it work and some of them I would never perform in my own shop for customer's safety reasons.

What changes do you feel are not safe?
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Truckfridge + Propex + GoWesty Larger Propane Tank? Reply with quote

Altoona wrote:

Too many connections, most of which can be eliminated. It could be made safer - what I don't like is that humongous amount of brass hanging off the side, flexing. If the valve were rotated slightly the regulator could be connected directly w/o all that mess of additional fittings. I also wouldn't install one of those tiny fragile Chinese regulators. I've already replaced a few failed ones at my shop. The mounting brackets supplied also don't appear to use the actual mounting points. How secure is it really, especially with the decreased clearance and greater chance of being snagged off-road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Truckfridge + Propex + GoWesty Larger Propane Tank? Reply with quote

so your gripe is with installation procedures/practices..
and likely justified.
it's rare I see something someone else installed and go, dang they nailed it right.
I imagine that may the same thing the next guy says on my stuff too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Truckfridge + Propex + GoWesty Larger Propane Tank? Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
Altoona wrote:

Too many connections, most of which can be eliminated. It could be made safer - what I don't like is that humongous amount of brass hanging off the side, flexing. If the valve were rotated slightly the regulator could be connected directly w/o all that mess of additional fittings. I also wouldn't install one of those tiny fragile Chinese regulators. I've already replaced a few failed ones at my shop. The mounting brackets supplied also don't appear to use the actual mounting points. How secure is it really, especially with the decreased clearance and greater chance of being snagged off-road.

Well, to each their own on comfort with additional fittings, but I can say that it does use the factory mount points and is quite secure.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Truckfridge + Propex + GoWesty Larger Propane Tank? Reply with quote

The mounting points of the TANK.

Safety of my customers is priority. If the mass of fittings were all supported by a proper bracket, it might be another thing. But the reality is most of the fittings are unnecessary and the regulator could be screwed directly into the tank valve.
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Truckfridge + Propex + GoWesty Larger Propane Tank? Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
The mounting points of the TANK.

Ah. Two of the four tank mounts are used on one bracket and the other bracket cradles it tightly to the underside of the van. Personally, I am quite comfortable with the set-up, but I can certainly respect your position.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Truckfridge + Propex + GoWesty Larger Propane Tank? Reply with quote

Altoona wrote:

Perhaps welding two westy propane tanks together the full-length of the vanagon underfloor? That would be at least 50% more propane.
Shocked You'd wanna pressure-test to 480psi (=2x 240psi service pressure) Shocked

Here's a pic of Hodakaguy's new 10% larger tank. The mounting looks easy enough to accommodate.
If'n a fellers OK with an increase of a paltry 10%. Wink
I didn't see mention of where this one came from, it looks like a good replacement.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Truckfridge + Propex + GoWesty Larger Propane Tank? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I didn't see mention of where this one came from, it looks like a good replacement.

Looks like the standard replacement tank sold by VC and GW
http://www.gowesty.com/product/lp-tank/2447/lpg-tank-with-regulator-?v=
http://www.van-cafe.com/page_1235_1123/new-propane-tank

I have one, nice replacement. I did give it an extra lick of paint.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Truckfridge + Propex + GoWesty Larger Propane Tank? Reply with quote

I installed a GW larger tank for a friend yesterday. It is mounted securely enough for my peace of mind. It is actually a bit tight to the floor, compressing the sheet metal slightly. I plan to also install a propex but will be putting it in the pantry cabinet forward of the water tank. There is JUST enough room to route the flue and combustion air behind the tank and in front of the water tank... or so it looks.

J
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: