Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Burning Ignition!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RICHIE P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Burning Ignition! Reply with quote

1971 1600 dual port Beetle driving to work last week the car shut down completely. It was running fine and just shut off about 5 miles shy.... Open decklid to find smoke coming from distributor! I removed cap and rotor to find previous owner had installed a Compu Tronix 'Mighty Module 3' in this vacuum advance distributor.

Upon closer inspection, Found the module was FRIED (wires melted where they met the box).

I acquired points, condenser, new Cap rotor and Bosch blue COIL from a local source and installed everything. I set static timing. Starts right up and runs better than it ever has....

BUT:

I drove it around like 5 miles up and down the rode and parked it, running BEAUTIFULLY and opened decklid only to find and electronic burning smell emanating. I got frustrated, closed the lid and walked away for now....

Locally known VW guru suggested that there's a wiring issue that caused the original ignition model to fry. I looked at wires to coil only choke, oil pressure come off hot side (plus switch) and only condenser to negative side. None of those wires look melted at ALL. The coil is brand new Bosch blue 12v.

HELP!
sawed off
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: BURNING IGNITION! Reply with quote

The electronic ignition kits need a certain ohm coil OR ballast resistor as to not burn up ignition kit. Those ballast resistors get real hot. Most ballasts are ceramic white. Do you have one? Did oil or a bug get into it and your just smelling something cooking? Is the ballast bad?
RICHIE P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: BURNING IGNITION! Reply with quote

No ballast present. My limited understanding says there's a resistor internal on coil.
scdevon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: BURNING IGNITION! Reply with quote

How's your charging system voltage and engine ground?

The primary resistance of the coil needs to be around 3 to 4 ohms on these cars with no external ballast resistor. I'm sure your new coil is OK, but it never hurts to check.
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: BURNING IGNITION! Reply with quote

RICHIE P wrote:
I looked at wires to coil only choke, oil pressure come off hot side (plus switch) and only condenser to negative side.

Oil pressure should not be connected to the coil. Verify that all of your wiring connections are correct.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: BURNING IGNITION! Reply with quote

Luft kühl wrote:
RICHIE P wrote:
I looked at wires to coil only choke, oil pressure come off hot side (plus switch) and only condenser to negative side.

Oil pressure should not be connected to the coil. Verify that all of your wiring connections are correct.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yeah. when the oil pressure switch closes, it shorts to ground, if hooked to ignition that will cause problems, loss of ignition voltage, and given time a harness meltdown, the ignition circuit is NOT fused. Unless the pressure switch is of very high resistance, I doubt the car could even be started as that switch is closed prior to starting. Maybe the original poster is mistaken on the wiring?

Next time the electric system smokes or smells of burning, please disconnect the battery before leaving the vehicle unattended, walking away. In some cases, even with ignition off, a short may continue to short, resulting in a fire and total loss of the Bug or worse.

Aways DISCONNECT BATTERY in the afore mentioned case, PLEASE!

anyway, welcome to samba, Please provide photos of the engine bay showing the wires, maybe we can make sense of this unfortunate incident.

Bug On with safe wires! We is here to help!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Burning Ignition! Reply with quote

By the way there is NO ballast resistor needed for points or pointless ignition. You have a major short somewhere. Start with the above suggestions first, then report back.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Burning Ignition! Reply with quote

Is the wire to choke element pinched behind the carburetor .
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: BURNING IGNITION! Reply with quote

RICHIE P wrote:
No ballast present. My limited understanding says there's a resistor internal on coil.

Did you measure the primary resistance in your new coil, or did you just assume it was the same as stock?

The Bosch "blue coil" with part# = 00012 represents a collection of coils and over the years came with different internal primary resistance. This is the problem. There is more than one "Bosch blue coil". Here is a good write up on the problem:
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/BlueCoil.html
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: BURNING IGNITION! Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
RICHIE P wrote:

Did you measure the primary resistance in your new coil, or did you just assume it was the same as stock?

The Bosch "blue coil" with part# = 00012 represents a collection of coils and over the years came with different internal primary resistance. This is the problem. There is more than one "Bosch blue coil". Here is a good write up on the problem:
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/BlueCoil.html

You do have to be careful. I had Bosch send me the wrong ones, which I promptly sent back. Unfortunately, 00012 has a few different meanings to them.

Make sure you purchase one from a VW shop and ask to see a picture. Ask if it is epoxy/gel filled.
It should look like this: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2132647

The newest ones come in the blue and white boxes. You won't see that on ratwell's page. You need to look at the coil itself with the bracket, stamp on the bottom, and connectors.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: