Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED Headlights on high beams with the fog light switch? WTF???
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
piotr.wor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: LED Headlights on high beams with the fog light switch? WTF??? Reply with quote

I have a 2002 Eurovan and recently purchased 50 watt LED headlight bulbs. They say plug and play but of course thats not the case Smile. Anyway, when i installed the drivers side headlight with the new LED DDM headlight I turned it on and every looks great. When i install the passenger headlight the Fog lights shut off and the high beams turn on. I can turn off the high beams only by pushing in the headlight switch that normally tuns off the fog lights. Thid casues the fog lights not to turn on at all and the high beam on /off not respond as well. Does any one know how to fix this or what going on?
Thanks in Advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights on high beams with the fog light switch? WTF??? Reply with quote

Just tried this myself last week with the exact same outcome. 2003 EV. I did a bunch of searching around, learned that you could "jump" the foglight relay on other MK4 VWs, so I tried that. While this maneuver addressed the high-beam issue, the fogs never came on. Since this was the only info/solution I could find and I needed the driver's side replaced asap for safety, I decided to return the LEDs.

I know others have replaced their headlight fixtures entirely with great results, which is probably the right way to go... I'm just not there yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
piotr.wor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights on high beams with the fog light switch? WTF??? Reply with quote

Ok Thanks, Such a strange problem. I called the LED place I ordered these from and they are recommending some inline wire thing to help out. Ill let you know how it turns out.
Once seeing them on its hard to go back to regular halogens.
piotr.wor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights on high beams with the fog light switch? WTF??? Reply with quote

So I installed the in line resisters and now my high beams do work with the fog light switch off but when I turn the fog light switch on, the fog lights turn and so high beams.... this is so frustrating....

Anyone have any ideas?

Mkscott2 - what do you mean by jumping the foglight relay?
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights on high beams with the fog light switch? WTF??? Reply with quote

Just something I read here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7514202-...+headlight

For what it's worth... if you don't end up sticking with the LED project, I am really happy with the bulbs GoWesty sells for our vans: http://www.gowesty.com/product/bulbs-sockets/24090/bulb---high-efficiency-h4-55-60w-?v=Eurovan
westy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights on high beams with the fog light switch? WTF??? Reply with quote

Where did you guys get the H4 led's from? I have a set from headlight experts on the way.
'03 EuroVan Weekender
Maurz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights on high beams with the fog light switch? WTF??? Reply with quote

Are you seeing some improved brightness without the beam being super scattered? Anyone have photos of some led headlights?
westy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights on high beams with the fog light switch? WTF??? Reply with quote

I recently installed the $99 H4 LED headlight kit from Headlight Experts. It's truly plug and play. Took me longer to figure out how to orient the wires than to completely install them. All the wiring fits perfectly inside the weatherproof cover. They are a 5000% upgrade in lighting. They do seem to spray a little stray light but I havnt gotten flashed all weekend and I made my friend drive in front of me last night LOL I would completely recommend them.

EDIT: After they were initially working well, now my fog lights are acting up as stated above. Headlight Experts are not recommending i install a set of resistors outside the headlight housing. So i would also have to modify them. Im not ready to start drilling holes in stuff, so i was offered a refund. Oh well...
'03 EuroVan Weekender
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: