Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NEW Vanagon automatic ring and pinions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtainc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: NEW Vanagon automatic ring and pinions Reply with quote

German Transaxle has new "taller ratio" REM polished ring and pinions for vanagon 090 final drives. The factory 4.09 ratio works fine in stock form but since so many vans now run Subaru power, a taller ratio ring and pinion will greatly reduce engine speed and improve fuel economy. Give us a call and we can go over what the best options are for your application. A tin top that flies down the highway at 75 has different needs than a full westy in the mountains and only sees back country roads. The idea of a "freeway flyer" doesn't work for everyone. Feel free to give us a call and go over your options and costs.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Vanagon automatic ring and pinions Reply with quote

The biggest reason why I didn’t get a rebuild with taller r&p from GTA was because they wouldn’t warranty it with my Subaru conversion. That has changed now?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Vanagon automatic ring and pinions Reply with quote

I believe their warranty now applies to Subaru conversions, as well.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Vanagon automatic ring and pinions Reply with quote

Has GTA's policy changed?

Copy and paste from an email I received from GTA in 2014:

"The 2 year unlimited mile warranty is from time of install, within reason. We ask for the warranty paper work to be returned within 30 days of invoice or it is null and void. However if you are running a non stock engine there is no warranty. We do cover our workmanship for 2 years.

The turbo does not come with an additional warranty.

I hope this answers all of your questions."

My new GTA rebuilt trans with "turbo upgrade" and 3.73 R&P failed (started slipping) in less than 1,100 (eleven hundred) miles after professional installation (SAH) and wasn't covered under warranty (because it was mated to a 1.8T).

Yes, I rolled the dice with GTS's policy... and lost.

Caveat Emptor.

Last edited by ThankYouJerry on Fri May 18, 2018 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Vanagon automatic ring and pinions Reply with quote

Hopefully the warranties apply to actual Volkswagen engines, too. I'm seriously considering converting my van from manual to auto, with one of these R&Ps.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
gtainc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Vanagon automatic ring and pinions Reply with quote

GTA has recently changed its warranty policy concerning aftermarket / higher horsepower transaxles. We have added a 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty for these applications. All terms in the current warranty still apply.

This thread started as just an informational post to let folks know we now have a new product, that we have dyno tested, field tested and are very happy with. Finally having a 090 ring and pinion that will bring down the RPM's for the Subaru type set ups is great. If anyone has questions concerning our warranty, builds, products or any thing else they are free to call us.
OrganicMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Vanagon automatic ring and pinions Reply with quote

OK with all that being said...

Still have those ring gears? 3.27 or 3.73...

click here to check out Bus Luv

for the love of all rear engine VW busses...bagged to beat, rusted to restored, we luv them all...

tell your friends and share the luv...
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Vanagon automatic ring and pinions Reply with quote

Again, I hope all the terms still apply to real actual Volkswagen engines.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: NEW Vanagon automatic ring and pinions Reply with quote

Who is your supplier, or are you making these parts?

[Moderator edit: Question amended to better mesh with thread clean-up.]
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: NEW Vanagon automatic ring and pinions Reply with quote

GTA has what I consider to be a much higher quality part.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
gtainc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Vanagon automatic ring and pinions Reply with quote

Steve, the ring & pinions that we supply are our own product. We have done extensive in-house testing and have found them to be far superior to any other ring & pinions out there for the 3 speed automatics. Dyno testing has shown us that noise levels (db's) are the same or less than OEM gears. Running temps are less than OEM gears by approx. 10 degrees (due to the REM polishing). We are also having these gears run in larger quantities to help keep the end cost down for our customers. Any questions please call German Transaxle directly @ 541-382-7723. Thank you.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Vanagon automatic ring and pinions Reply with quote

I’m a happy customer. I’ve had a GTA stock auto rebuild in my van since 2005 and haven’t had any problems. I’m hoping to get another 13 years out of it without any problems. Great product and company. If I ever need a rebuild I wouldn’t hesitate to go back to them. Plus, I like visiting Bend. Smile
gtainc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Vanagon automatic ring and pinions Reply with quote

GTA started this to let the VW Vanagon community know that we now have a tested product (by us) that we can offer to our customers. We tested it vs stock and vs another aftermarket gear set. We never said who's. We just performed our own testing both on the dyno and in some of our local customer rigs.

Due to the fact that we actually build these transaxles ourselves every day, we can see 1st hand what works and what doesn't. Its pretty hard to know if something is working (correctly) if you don't build or test it yourself. We have and are selling these gears faster than the manufacturer can supply them to us. If they weren't working we would stop selling them. We haven't been in business for 45+ years, by selling inferior products, our reputation shows that. If someone would like more information or to discuss how we can help them please call GTA at 541-382-7723

THE END

Moderator note: This thread has been cleaned up. Please keep the conversation to the specific topic at hand: GTA's new auto trans R&P's.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: