Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Better filter for the sand
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Better filter for the sand Reply with quote

Hi. I have dual 36 dells. And I have the K&N style with outerwears and UNI two stage foam filters. What would be best?
Thanks.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Better filter for the sand Reply with quote

If your choice is either or, I would go with the two stage foam filters. Although the outerwears help, Cotton/gauze filters are not great in the sand. Swap out the cotton/gauze filters for paper filters, and that will be much better.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Better filter for the sand Reply with quote

Check out Donaldson or ump.. we use a Donaldson on our off road car here in Nevada. works great and keeps the fine Nevada silt out.

I've been playing with my thing ever since I got it...
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Better filter for the sand Reply with quote

IMO- a two stage foam/paperfilter works the best for sand.

You might be able to get a foam wrap for each carb to go around the paper element.

Why paper? Sand can be sharp and cut up the nice K&N filters even with Outerwears. A little cheaper to replace.

Why foam? More depth in trapping fine sand dust, it still gets in there...somehow.

Something like these but for dual carbs:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You could also run hoses to a single filter up out of the way. One thing about buggies and baja's with dual carbs the sand is kicked up from the tires right there. Better if it's up out of the way in the center of the car.

My dad also got a Caterpillar diesel two stage filter, can't find the pic, but that was one of the better filters we ever used for the sand.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Better filter for the sand Reply with quote

Oiled foam is the best by far. Outerwear literally do nothing.
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Better filter for the sand Reply with quote

Vanillagurilla wrote:
Outerwear literally do nothing.

i strongly disagree, and insist on using outerwear over my foam filters.

the outerwear keeps the bulk of the flying sand from sticking to the outside of the filter. think of it like a splash guard for sand. the less sand on the filter, the less there is to work its way through the foam. they are just meant to keep off the majority of the flying sand from the filters, and they do a damn good job of it.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Better filter for the sand Reply with quote

I’m know sand varies a great deal from location to location, but for what it is worth, in my experiance I do have to agree with Vanillagurilla on outerwears not being worth a lot in the sand...at least around here.

Sure they keep the filter from packing up with coarse sand...but it’s not the coarse grans that will get you. The filter does alright at keeping that heavy grit out. It’s the powder of flower like consistency that is sucked through those stupid cotton gauze filters that always seems to end up packing up in fine idle jets, etc.. The outerwears do absolutely nothing to help keep this fine powder out that I frequently see down throats and in jets on carbs with cotton gauze filters.

Just my 0.02 bucks.

I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Better filter for the sand Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:

Sure they keep the filter from packing up with coarse sand...but it’s not the coarse grans that will get you. The filter does alright at keeping that heavy grit out. It’s the powder of flower like consistency...

the coarse stuff is what its meant for. that fine floury stuff is not sand, its straight up silt. they are only rated for particles that are .005" and up. you would not catch me dead out in the dunes without them. the course sand does build up on the outside of any type of oiled filters just like the fine stuff does.

when used the way they were meant to be used, they work really well. they are a pre-filter meant to block large particles. they keep big stuff from sticking, and let the filters handle the fine stuff. filters are not perfect, they do let a bit of any contaminate through.

i have had sand work its way through the second stage of a UNI filter with their oil applied properly on a cr250 i had. everything was perfect, filter fully seated and grease used around the base, rubber washer under the wing nut, filter was properly clamped by the basket and all. i was young and broke, so preventative work was the only way i could keep riding. after a week at the dunes in a stock airbox, it was fully plugged, and sand had been pulled through the foam and into the intake. the pulsing vacuum helped move it through. i tore the engine down, cleaned the sand out of the crankcase, and bought an outerwear and a new filter. next time we went, the filter needed to be cleaned but only had fine dust. no sand in the intake, and i was happy.

so yeah, in SAND, outerwears and foam rocks. in SILT, look for something different.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Better filter for the sand Reply with quote

Yeah, like I say, depends where you are as sand is a lot different in different places. Even in Michigan. The sand in the Western lower peninsula is a lot different than some areas along Lake Superior in the upper peninsula. A lot of the sand is more heavily laced with super fine red powder up in the UP, which is really good at getting sucked through and clogging stuff up.

The default is to run the cotton/gauze filters because it comes standard in most dual carb kits these days, but they are pretty piss poor in the sand around here...outerwears or no outerwears...doesn’t really matter. Paper is the way to go for sand in my opinion. Really hard to beat the filtering efficiency of a good paper filter.

Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Better filter for the sand Reply with quote

I Ride Sand wrote:
Vanillagurilla wrote:
Outerwear literally do nothing.

i strongly disagree, and insist on using outerwear over my foam filters.

the outerwear keeps the bulk of the flying sand from sticking to the outside of the filter. think of it like a splash guard for sand. the less sand on the filter, the less there is to work its way through the foam. they are just meant to keep off the majority of the flying sand from the filters, and they do a damn good job of it.

Unless your running dual carbs like I am, big sand particles aren't getting near your filter. I have duals and still dont run outerwears for the fact that I have to clean my filters after everytrip anyways. There for there useless, I even used to run one on my quad but noticed no difference in how dirty the filter was with or without the outerwear and have never pulled a grain of sand out of my filters with or without. Even at glamis.
Terryrayw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Better filter for the sand Reply with quote

I use the filters for the the Lord owes that come with the covers that pull over top of them
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Better filter for the sand Reply with quote

On the "OldManx" we use this.........oiled K&N filter inside & UNI Filter-Wrap, oiled outside.......Rarely need to clean K&N, as UNI catches it ALL !!

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Better filter for the sand Reply with quote

basically the SAME set-up on the "tunnell-buggy" as on the "OldManx"....oiled K&H inside with oiled UNI filter-wrap on the outside........

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Better filter for the sand Reply with quote

I have used an oiled gauze filter, with a unifilter oiled band over that, and an outerwear over that. I think the outerwear helps. This set up worked well at Glamis, and on the dirt. Also, I think its important to have filter housings that have good, solid surfaces were the filter seals, and use grease to seal. Some of the stamped metal housings arent quite flat, and dont seal as well. I used to run dual 40IDF, and didnt like how they were right down by the tires (here, the outerwear helped). I have since switched to a single center mounted Zenith.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: