Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail Reply with quote

cj92345 wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Really jealous right now... Applause
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail Reply with quote

Is that wheelbase stretched?

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cj92345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail Reply with quote

stock 70' pan, looks longer from the angle
degrafex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail Reply with quote

This is my first post on the samba!

This rail has been sitting in the garage for years and I decided this spring to finally put some effort into it. Street legal and titled a '69 VW Sedan.

vjr021
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail Reply with quote

Just picked up this.... Owner thought the engine was locked up, but it wasn't... Need to work out an issue with the carbs...

Anyone know this frame?

speedy94c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail Reply with quote

Just got this one a couple weeks ago, New engine didnt get the gland nut torqued properly and it come off and ruined the crankshaft. I picked up a 1600 single port engine from a buddy of mine for cheap and put it on there just to get it going.
I have always wanted a buggy and just never got one but now I do and hope to have some fun with it.
I was trying to get it lined out, the carb wasn't doing the best but was getting better, then the clutch went out the other night when I was driving it around.
It will not disengage cable pulls but will not let it go in gear. Can start it in gear and go but something is not good in there. The rear seal is leaking also so Ill change it when I pull the engine back off and see whats up with the clutch.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail Reply with quote

That sure needs to have the heater outlets on the fan shroud plugged. Freeze plugs held in with sheet metal screws works well.

And the roll bar over your head is scary AWFUL LOW. Good head knocker, even if you do NOT flip the car tires up. The original roof bars that were cut out probably had a bend for head clearance.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
speedy94c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
That sure needs to have the heater outlets on the fan shroud plugged. Freeze plugs held in with sheet metal screws works well.

And the roll bar over your head is scary AWFUL LOW. Good head knocker, even if you do NOT flip the car tires up. The original roof bars that were cut out probably had a bend for head clearance.

Didn't know about the air holes needing to be plugged, thanks for that info.
I did get another engine for now from a friend for cheap just to get my buggy going before it gets too cold here. Ill plug them holes also.

I plan on putting new roll bars with the proper bend angle on the top before I do too much with it. I have no idea why someone would cut out the original ones.

Thanks for you input. Im new to buggies (I have always wanted one) now finally going the right way.
Blue_Thunder_280z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail Reply with quote

Just got this a 3 weeks or so ago. Im a computer guy, just all of a sudden dove into this project! really excited. This is all so new to me, but ive learned so much in the last week or two. Very Happy

Needed some info on the coil overs for the rear suspension. The bottom king pin is right, but i don't get why they put two tabs, horizontal from each other on the top. Its not kingpin, stud or plate.

Nissan L20b engine - 4 Cyl 110hp @7k
Front end VW Ghia/Bus 77-82? (at least the #s on the wheel hubs are VW)
280z rear end. assembly.

Everythings there, just needs to be attached, wired and connected. How much would you pay for this project, just curious.

Hint: the pictures with the seats are from a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited i have laying around.... they will fit in it eventually. So comfy!

Some of the things have been repainted, (Seahawks theme i guess) Not a Football fan...I'll upload more as i can, still getting used to this forum thing.

DHale_510
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail Reply with quote

The engine, transmission, differential, and rear suspension all seem to be Datsun 610 from about 1973 to 1975. Coil over suspensions that attach to the lower shock mounts are available but the car came with rather odd 3 5/8" diameter springs similar to The late 80s front TBird springs. I cannot tell if you have upper mounts for either from your pictures. nor can I tell anything about your front end.
Dennis
tc617
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail Reply with quote

My 2006 Hi-Jumper w/2276cc motor.

hmorrow11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail Reply with quote

Project Berrien 4 Seater I finished up about 2 months ago.

Thanks to all the help from the forum members. I did a lot of research on here to complete this project.

Stormin189
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail Reply with quote

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail Reply with quote

This is an Al Smith rail from SmithSandcars in White City, Oregon. I got it second hand.

Specs. Unverified
Trans is a swingaxle, bus?, super-dif. 4.86 rp with stock 1st, close ratio 2-4weddle gears.
Motor- 2332 40/35 with 1.5" dual Cannon exhaust. Dual 44s on an autolinea case.
Berg shifter

69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sidewinder64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail Reply with quote

I've seen that car a time or two!

Congrats on the purchase

Capt Gottlieb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail Reply with quote

"A picture is worth a thousand words"

My name is Amadeu and Capt. Gottlieb is a nickname. During my youth I was Navy officer in Brazil for two years. Gottlieb (God + love) means Amadeu in german. So in this manner was born the nickname. My father was italian and my mom portuguese. I'm 71 and retired. My hobby is off-road (light) with my VW BAJA and my Rail Buggy. Both use VW boxer engine 1600 (gas). I live in Amparo (upland - 700 m height), a town near from Campinas (70 Km) and São Paulo City (145 Km), but 250-300 Km from the seashore.
I have gone to "Serra da Canastra" (begining of São Francisco River) every year since 2012. Nice landscape, waterfalls, pure water... Really is amazing ride a Buggy or BAJA crossing the open air of the mountains.
The main difference between BAJA and BUGGY is the differential and the wheelbase.
Ring & pinion (BAJA) = 33x8 (faster but less strong)
Ring & pinion (BUGGY) 35x8 (less fast but stronger)
Both vehicles are street legal.
Very Happy

Capt Gottlieb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail Reply with quote

In Brazil the Rail Buggy is called "Gaiola" (cage).

Here in South Hemisphere is beginning the cold time. Snow is possible only in a few places in South Brazil, like some summits of mountains. In fact brazilian people don't know snow, except by TV and movies. But in Argentina, Bolivia, Peru and Chile is different. Andes Mountains are very high (until 6.000 meters) with a lot of ice and snow. For us (South America) the winter is coming and for you (North America) the summer is coming.

Volkswagen has began to make VW Beetle and Kombi in Brazil since 1960. Of course VW plants around the world make the same models with great similarity, but not exactly equal. There are little differences.

The frame (chassis) was shortened 25 cm (VW Beetle sedan is 2,40 meters). But with 2,15 meters of wheelbase my Buggy works very well. Of course the vehicle could be a little bit instable after 60 miles/hour, but it became extremely manoeuveble. Besides with a differential ring and pinion 8x35 is so difficult to reach 55 miles/hour (even using VW 1600 gas engine). The relation 8x35 make my Buggy less fast but stronger.

Mu Buggy have a Selective Hand Brake.
Middle lever stops both back wheels.
Left lever stops or reduces only the left back wheel.
Right lever stops or reduces only the right back wheel.
So this gadget tries to mimic a differential blocked with some success.
Really a good aid if you are stuck in the mud. Useful and cheap.

I must classified my Buggy as a Mud Rail Buggy 'cause it is able to ride in dirt-roads, some light trails, mud and streets. For dunes and sand I would have to change somethings, mainly the back tires. And the distance Amparo to seashore is for about 200 miles.

mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail Reply with quote

This is my "resto" of a late '60's Tunnell-Buggy Cool Cool

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail Reply with quote

I heard about this one from a fellow worker. His Dad bought it at a farm sale when he was a kid and they ran it until it died and parked it in the bush. Being a glutton for punishment I bought it, cut the trees down that had grown through the frame and drug it home, stripped it down and started basically from scratch.

Final config: 1600SP, Bus 3 rib with IRS suspension, lengthened the rear of the frame into an engine cage and skid pan. Needs front brakes and steering brakes yet.

This is the hills we ride in 20 minutes from home.

Off road buggy only.
However I am not above raking a little hay with it from time to time!

Now that it has been running for about 6 years and we have it proven and modified to suit us it is time for a winter tear down to pretty it up and for final additions.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail Reply with quote

Just so everybody knows...That front bumper says "Chenowth". That buggy is NOT a Chenowth. They sold those bumpers separate. They fit LOTS of buggies. This buggy probably started out as what most call a "Short Back" buggy.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 32

Jump to: