Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'73 Sports Beetle Steering Wheel in a '69?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: '73 Sports Beetle Steering Wheel in a '69? Reply with quote

I believe the change in splines was around this time, anyone know if the Sports Beetle steering wheel would fit in a '69, I really like that wheel...

Not my pic, but the wheel I'm referring to:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And then there's the back of another one:

runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Sports Beetle Steering Wheel in a '69? Reply with quote

otis_bartleh wrote:
I believe the change in splines was around this time, anyone know if the Sports Beetle steering wheel would fit in a '69, I really like that wheel...

Not my pic, but the wheel I'm referring to:

And then there's the back of another one:

In a word, no. I have a '69 Bug and a '72 Ghia. The Sports wheel fits the Ghia but not the Bug
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Sports Beetle Steering Wheel in a '69? Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
In a word, no. I have a '69 Bug and a '72 Ghia. The Sports wheel fits the Ghia but not the Bug

Damn, I like that wheel better than other aftermarket wheels, fits my "theme" better and has the VW emblem on it... Thanks for the info though...
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Sports Beetle Steering Wheel in a '69? Reply with quote

To add to it, the more I look at these pics, the more it looks like one is small spline and the other is large spline... I wonder if there are 2 different versions of that wheel, as here is another one of those wheels, and the back is a bit different, and it looks like it has smaller splines than the other 2 pictured...

runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Sports Beetle Steering Wheel in a '69? Reply with quote

I think the steering shafts are interchangeable, don't quote me tho, as I've never tried to see if they are. Maybe somebody else has.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Sports Beetle Steering Wheel in a '69? Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
I think the steering shafts are interchangeable, don't quote me tho, as I've never tried to see if they are. Maybe somebody else has.

I think you may be right...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: