Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
funkgeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ Reply with quote

scrivyscriv - any advice on how to convert from rubber to stainless tubing for the amateur backyard VW mechanic? I have a 78 bay that was converted to dual carb by PO and am thinking about going that route as I start to rebuild it rather than rubber. Gates Barricade being amazing or not, metal just seems more resilient to me and I'm willing to pay for the peace of mind.

robbie of airschooled.com fame is coming by in mid May and I'd like to get everything I need before he shows up. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ Reply with quote

funkgeek wrote:
scrivyscriv - any advice on how to convert from rubber to stainless tubing for the amateur backyard VW mechanic? I have a 78 bay that was converted to dual carb by PO and am thinking about going that route as I start to rebuild it rather than rubber. Gates Barricade being amazing or not, metal just seems more resilient to me and I'm willing to pay for the peace of mind.

robbie of airschooled.com fame is coming by in mid May and I'd like to get everything I need before he shows up. Smile

Unless you have a way to connect the steel line to the carbs you are going to need some rubber hose thus defeating your efforts. Do consider adding a marine anti-siphon valve near the outlet to your tank to prevent gravity flow if your fuel lines fail. The correct fuel pump relay that will cut power to your fuel pump should the engine stall is a good idea as well.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ Reply with quote

funkgeek wrote:

Metal will work harden at bends, and engines vibrate. The flexibility of fuel hose can be a good thing. The worst fuel leak I ever had on my bus was where the metal fuel line passed through the tin. Over time, vibration and oxidation had caused the rubber grommet to deteriorate and the tin chafed through the steel line.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
funkgeek wrote:

Metal will work harden at bends, and engines vibrate. The flexibility of fuel hose can be a good thing. The worst fuel leak I ever had on my bus was where the metal fuel line passed through the tin. Over time, vibration and oxidation had caused the rubber grommet to deteriorate and the tin chafed through the steel line.

Yep...I like rubber from the carbs/TB(s) all the way to the body, for this reason.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ Reply with quote

I have to say that I prefer metal and have removed added aftermarket fuel filters from my old heavy metal rigs and put back in nice sturdy steel lines as per the manufacturer and I would gladly go with steel on a VW if it were reasonable easy to do so, having only a single piece of hose low down and out of the engine compartment to allow for engine movement, but none of the carbs I have ever run on an aircooled VW have lent themselves to this, so rubber it is.

I do have steel from my tank to just before my fuel pump, a system that has worked just fine for 30 years, but that everyone says will not work. GEEZ

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ Reply with quote

I am still learning all of this....

Is this video conducive to the discussion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGHLlaygibc

Link

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ Reply with quote

mr matt wrote:

Link

Not sure how the demand valve functions or whether it is necessary in a Bay fuel supply. It sounds like it is there to keep a pressurized tank from forcing fuel through the fuel lines and into the engine. Since Bays shouldn't be seeing extra pressure in the tank I don't know whether it would add to a level of safety or not.

Time to do some research. Wink
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
mr matt wrote:

Link

Not sure how the demand valve functions or whether it is necessary in a Bay fuel supply. It sounds like it is there to keep a pressurized tank from forcing fuel through the fuel lines and into the engine. Since Bays shouldn't be seeing extra pressure in the tank I don't know whether it would add to a level of safety or not.

Time to do some research. Wink

Its a "marine" thing (maybe some racing too). It necessary on a boat because they are required to have fully sealed fuel tanks so they cannot spring a leak and pollute.

So evaporation can cause pressure and cause a pressurized spurt of fuel to the carbed engine. So the anti-siphon valve is just what its says...but the fuel demand valve only lest fuel go to the engine when the fuel demands it. Its really just a differential pressure valve.

The bus or most VW with vented tank going to either atmosphere or a carbon canister do not need it as there is no risk of tank pressure pushing fuel past a carb.

Good explanation of what it does

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/portable-fuel/fuel-demand-valve

Good diagram of what it is.
http://www.attwoodmarine.com/userfiles/store/product/files/1343/69487-ifdvvalveinstallinstr-rc.pdf

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ Reply with quote

Here's some pictures of how I did a type 1 a few years ago. Be sure and use flex lines every so often to prevent the lines from cracking due to vibration

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ Reply with quote

funkgeek wrote:

I don't think it's absolutely necessary to go all hardline.. it's a lot of work with not a big return, compared to other fire prevention things you can do. Stainless tubing is hard to work with because it doesn't bend well and tends to crack at the flare lips if you don't get the end cleaned up perfectly. I have some teflon braided stainless I was going to use for my flex lines but due to Pierburg pump rebuild kits being trash I put that idea on the back burner, so I don't have anything recent to add.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ Reply with quote

You’re thinking AN but I used MS (swagelok) on my custom lines. Much easier and faster. You always need to have flex hoses too or you’ll stress the stainless.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
You’re thinking AN but I used MS (swagelok) on my custom lines. Much easier and faster. You always need to have flex hoses too or you’ll stress the stainless.

Wow, you went swagelock, that's some overkill!!!! MS is rated for what, 3k PSI?
I don't have any of the fittings or tooling but I definitely think MS is better than AN when using stainless. It's just too easy to make a bad stainless AN flare.

I have a roll of 1/4" ID stainless steel braid teflon tubing that I was going to use as the flex connection from the left side engine bay out to the engine. I know teflon takes a set but I think this application would be okay if it's not physically disturbed. Right now this is what I have:

If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
aeromech wrote:

Wow, you went swagelock, that's some overkill!!!! MS is rated for what, 3k PSI?
I don't have any of the fittings or tooling but I definitely think MS is better than AN when using stainless. It's just too easy to make a bad stainless AN flare.

I have a roll of 1/4" ID stainless steel braid teflon tubing that I was going to use as the flex connection from the left side engine bay out to the engine. I know teflon takes a set but I think this application would be okay if it's not physically disturbed. Right now this is what I have:

MS (Swagelok)...or actually any of the stainless or carbon steel compression fitting systems are excellent for getting rid of rubber fuel hoses (except for as Aeromech noted a couple of flex joints).

Its not really about whether its overkill.....its not even really about pressure. As you note....whatever pressure you are using ...carbed or injected...or even some hydraulic.....its covered so how much over is irrelevant Laughing Wink .

To me its not even about getting that "sano" look. Rubber fuel line versus fuel.... reliability...versus cost and having to replace every 4 years at best is becoming an issue....IMHO.

While AN is pretty....and with braided SS over rubber has "better" abrasion resistance"....I hate seeing it on a carbed car with 3 psi of pressure Rolling Eyes ...its still rubber under the braid and has a finite lifespan. But hey....to each their own. The AN with solid tube is much smarter and nicer!

Now replacing it all with steel or stainless steel...except for a few easily replaced expansion joints....thats a forever fuel line right there. Compression unions make a lot of sense and really keep the cost sane.

I am working on a Nylon/steel set up now....higher pressure than you will ever need...easy 25 year lifespan in any conditions. With the right nylon combo you do not even need flex joints. Cheap....easy to patch and replace on the fly.

Also....soon I will post a how to for installing it in our systems. Actually the connector technology is not an issue. You are not actually required to use ANY of the factory funky locking clip style connectors unless you want ot need to. Ray
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ Reply with quote

Any consensus of the belmetric 7mm fi hose vs the gates 5/16" high pressure fi hose?

I see that people say that the gates doesn't let any vapors pass through, so no gas smell, what about the belmetric hose?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Any consensus of the belmetric 7mm fi hose vs the gates 5/16" high pressure fi hose?

I see that people say that the gates doesn't let any vapors pass through, so no gas smell, what about the belmetric hose?

The Gates meets the low permeability 30r14 spec ontop of the 30r9 spec, don't know about the other.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ Reply with quote

what about swagelock convoluted 316 braided stainless hose? can that be used for a flexible joint? Im glad i found this thread topic since im about to redo the fuel system in my bay. the alcohol is killing my fuel lines, ive had to redo them more in the last five years than in the last twenty.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ Reply with quote

For the longer run of hose between the fuel pump and injector rail, does anyone use protection sleeve to stop it from rubbing against the frame? On my 75 that's a 4.5' run that passes by several potential friction points.

And if I added a "sleeve" could it just be some larger, cheap vac or fuel line?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ Reply with quote

Not a bad idea, some of the OG ones may have even had something on them, shiny and black IIRC. Clear vinyl tubing would be a good choice, not too thick and you might even see something bad happening inside (if that ever happened).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ Reply with quote

Thrasher22 wrote:
For the longer run of hose between the fuel pump and injector rail, does anyone use protection sleeve to stop it from rubbing against the frame? On my 75 that's a 4.5' run that passes by several potential friction points.

And if I added a "sleeve" could it just be some larger, cheap vac or fuel line?

I have this on mine. Put it on the line between the regulator and the tank as well since I had enough.

http://www.busdepot.com/n0180154
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ Reply with quote

THall wrote:
I have this on mine. Put it on the line between the regulator and the tank as well since I had enough.

http://www.busdepot.com/n0180154

This shows how far aftermarket support has come since I parked my bus a few years ago, I wouldn't have imagined someone actually made this! Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: