Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 vw super beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kartn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: 1973 vw super beetle Reply with quote

Hello everyone i am trying to fix a 1973 superbeetle for a customer. Someone has hacked up the wiring and other things. I am working on the turn signals an hazard switch. Does anyone know what style hazard switch it should have rocker style or pull style. Also it keeps blowing fuses on fuse 8 thanks for any info
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 vw super beetle Reply with quote

Rocker.

There are wiring diagrams in the technical tab.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
candyflame73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 vw super beetle Reply with quote

Rocker switch. If you're needing to purchase one, I highly recommend bugcity.com. They has NOS German parts as well as original used German parts. They have never let me down on my 73 Super Beetle project.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kartn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 vw super beetle Reply with quote

Ok thanks wanting to make sure have the right switch. But as soon as i turn them on the red wire seems like it just grounds out an blows fuse #8. Any suggestions thanks
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 vw super beetle Reply with quote

kartn wrote:
Ok thanks wanting to make sure have the right switch. But as soon as i turn them on the red wire seems like it just grounds out an blows fuse #8. Any suggestions thanks

Follow the wire diagrams in the technical section here (at the top of the page) to figure out what it could be.

If you've already narrowed it down to a specific wire/switch/circuit:

Trace that wire until you find a suspect spot and fix whatever problem you find.

Without being physically present to trace that wire for you, I cannot (and likely neither can anyone else on here) help you further than directing you to the diagrams and such.

Pictures are helpful in most cases, but it sounds as though you have some wire tracing in your future to solve this problem.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 vw super beetle Reply with quote

This simplified diagram from Speedy Jim's site will help:

When you turn on the E-Flasher switch it does two things:
    1) Changes the voltage source from the #15 (ignition switched fuses) to the #30 (constant 12v) source

2) Closes the contacts between the #49a INPUT terminal to the L and R OUTPUT terminals. This allows pulsing voltage coming from the flasher relay to pass to all four corner lamps.

When troubleshooting the flasher/turn signal system it is sometimes necessary to remove ALL corner turn signal bulbs and test the black/green (right) and black/white (left) wires for ground. With the bulbs removed those wires should have no path to ground. If your multi meter shows a path to ground along either collection of wires you need to isolate the corner wires as well as the wires coming from the E-Flasher switch and the turn signal switch. Test all the wires for ground. When you find it, you have found your short. Trace that wire until you find where it is touching ground.

If it is not behind the dash you should look to the light assemblies for a frayed wire.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
kartn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 vw super beetle Reply with quote

Ok thanks so the red wire should be on the constant side of the fuse box? They have it onto to top connector
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 vw super beetle Reply with quote

b1pig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 vw super beetle Reply with quote

The wiring diagrams are priceless. Had the same prob with my '73SB. Had to rewire the whole thing under the dash. Total PITA, but so worth it once done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: