Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

In USA for work (1-3 years) ¿Can I take my van with me?
Forum Index -> International Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Furgoman_u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: In USA for work (1-3 years) ¿Can I take my van with me? Reply with quote

Hi all from Spain
We are moving to Colorado in a few months for work and we would like to take our van with us (VW T4 California syncro).
Is that possible?
We have looket a shipment company who will takes the van to USA, but then...
Could we stay in the USA with the spanish plates or must we register the van in the USA?
Thanks in advance.
Manu.-
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: In USA for work (1-3 years) ¿Can I take my van with me? Reply with quote

Short answer is 1 year or less per:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1664/~/temporary-importation-of-a-car-for-personal-use
Quote:

Question: Temporary importation of a car for personal use

Can I bring my car into the U.S. temporarily?

Nonresidents/visitors may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use up to (1) one year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner's arrival. Vehicles imported under this provision that do not conform to U.S. safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the U.S. There is no exemption or extension of the export requirements. See Importing a Motor Vehicle on CBP.gov.

The importer's passport number and the name of the country that issued the passport must be supplied on the DOT form HS-7 Declaration form. See Box 5.

The DOT form HS-7 can be downloaded from the Department of Transportation's (DOT) Website or by calling the Auto Safety Hotline at 1-800-424-9393. The DOT number for vehicle imports is 202-366-5291.

If you wish to receive automatic updates to this Q&A, select "Subscribe to Updates" on the left side of this screen.

You could always lease a VW:

http://www.vw.com/content/vwcom/en/financial-services/get-started/#payment-estimator

Quote:
Foreign Business Professionals Program
We welcome business professionals from countries outside the United States to finance or lease a VW model during your stay in the U.S.16 To learn more about this offer, including any additional program requirements, please visit a VW Dealership near you.
Download Foreign Business Professionals Program Brochure

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coachmanel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: In USA for work (1-3 years) ¿Can I take my van with me? Reply with quote

Furgoman_u wrote:
Hi all from Spain
We are moving to Colorado in a few months for work and we would like to take our van with us (VW T4 California syncro).
Is that possible?
We have looket a shipment company who will takes the van to USA, but then...
Could we stay in the USA with the spanish plates or must we register the van in the USA?
Thanks in advance.
Manu.-

HOLA MANU
Soy Manel, español afincado en Miami. Hace varios anos traje una Syncro para luego darme una vuelta por la panamericana. La EPA me exigía sacar el vehículo del país en 30 días! Y obviamente no lo podia vender. Pero tampoco lo pude asegurar pues son diferentes números de chasis que aquí en USA no reconocen. Hay que hacerle documentación nueva a la furgoneta. De todos modos te recomiendo que busques tu caso en concreto por lo que de 1 a 3 años decías. Mucha suerte y si encuentras una pagina con más colaboración que aquí en the samba, comparte please que tengo que traer una desde Alemania. Por cierto! No quisieras compartir gastos de contenedor???
Un saludo, Manel H.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: In USA for work (1-3 years) ¿Can I take my van with me? Reply with quote

What year is the van? If it is 25 years old from the manufacture date,
Then you have more options. I'm not knowledgeable in this area, so you will have to research this. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/278/~...rsonal-use

If the van is 26 years old, perhaps you could bring it in under the 1-year plan mentioned above, and start the process to officially import it - perhaps.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> International All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: