Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new 1964 Beetle project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1964 Beetle project Reply with quote

cfelke wrote:
kawfee wrote:
Nice ride. I picked up a 63 titled 64. it's a nice year.

It sure did clean up nicely with the rubbing compoun
Where did you get the rest of the part for the safari windshield? I see you removed the skins off some other windows. I'd be interested to see how to get the rest of the parts.

After trying to make the safari windshield myself out of a set of rear quarter windows, I found that the windshield with the frame was to big so I gave up and ordered a kit from Loose Nuts http://www.vwloosenuts.com

Your window looked awfully close to his and is why I asked. Looks good.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cfelke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1964 Beetle project Reply with quote

This looks so much better than the 54 year old original upholstery that was in the old Beetle. TMI two tone 328 dark grey vintage (as that was the closest to the color of my door panels) with 334 mesh grey vintage inserts. Slowly coming together!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1964 Beetle project Reply with quote

Looks good. Did you repaint the frame?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cfelke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1964 Beetle project Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:

Yes I did but I got some scratches when I was assembling it. Crying or Very sad
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1964 Beetle project Reply with quote

cfelke wrote:
heimlich wrote:

Yes I did but I got some scratches when I was assembling it. Crying or Very sad

I figured that is what happened. It happens to me too. You take such care in putting it all together and then the dam thing is tough to do and something falls onto it or gets in the way while your struggling with it.

Just take some touchup paint to it. You might be able to wrap the seat in paper and then paint it.
cfelke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1964 Beetle project Reply with quote

Today I glued the top to the bows for the ragtop. I had to sit it on the car to see how it will look.

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1964 Beetle project Reply with quote

Was yours manufactured with the hole in the roof? Also, it looks like someone replaced your rear lights with later ones. I thought the 64's were all red.

I see you got your interior in as well. Looks good with the red. Mines somewhat reverse with white on the outside and reddish interior.
cfelke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1964 Beetle project Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Was yours manufactured with the hole in the roof? Also, it looks like someone replaced your rear lights with later ones. I thought the 64's were all red.

I see you got your interior in as well. Looks good with the red. Mines somewhat reverse with white on the outside and reddish interior.

No, I grafted the ragtop in. You can see it on page 2.
cfelke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1964 Beetle project Reply with quote

Finally found the perfect stereo for my Beetle.......My dash is uncut and has the radio delete plate. I did not want to cut my dash but I still need some tunes. I finally came up with an answer that meets my needs. This is a tpa3116 Bluetooth / usb board that is super small as you can see it sitting in my hand. It will be mounted under the dash where nobody can see it and it actually puts out a ton of sound. Best part, the price was only $10 on eBay with remote.

cfelke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1964 Beetle project Reply with quote

I got a couple things done on the old girl. The ragtop that I grafted in had a broken metal bow. I found a black pipe nipple that was about the same size, i grabbed my anvil and started beating. the first one cracked so the next one, I heated it up before hitting it and it worked out. I ground the edges and welded it in.

Next was to put some quick roof in the package tray area and behind the rear door panels.

My door panels had shrunk over the years. I grabbed my daughter's hair dryer, a paint brush and some contact cement. this was not the easiest task and my fingers hurt like hell but it looks much better than before. I can't wait for all this glue to wear off my fingers.

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1964 Beetle project Reply with quote

wow that door panel came out great!! I'm glad I didn't toss mine, I'll have to try that heat & stretch trick.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
cfelke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1964 Beetle project Reply with quote

I am working on the headliner now. I forgot how long this takes as it has been about 26 years since I did this the last. For the most part it has been going pretty good, just taking forever. I originally was going to cut my underlayment for the headliner but was worried, I would screw it up so I bought a kit from Wolfsburg West. I may as well have just thrown that $35 plus shipping out the window. It was just thin foam that was pre cut and you could see the edges through the headliner. I went ahead and used flooring underlayment and it is working out pretty good for the most part. I will post more pictures when I get it completed but until now here is what was done. Working 12.5 hour nights this week doesn't give me a lot of time to work on her.

cfelke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1964 Beetle project Reply with quote

finished the headliner....

Installed the ragtop...

Installed the back window....

Working on the rear seat.... while taking apart the seat I found that the seats were earlier than the car. I knew 64s had a cloth seat. this tag inside explains why.

cfelke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1964 Beetle project Reply with quote

I got Pickle’s lick of approval on the new seat upholstery tonight. She said to hurry up and get this damn car done because she can’t wait to try out the safari windshield.

GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1964 Beetle project Reply with quote

How difficult was the headliner, what adhesive
Did you use?

Geoff
cfelke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1964 Beetle project Reply with quote

GB2S wrote:
How difficult was the headliner, what adhesive
Did you use?

Geoff

The headliner was not as difficult as one may think but it is time consuming. I think I spent the most time looking at it and thinking about doing it than the actual task itself. I would highly recommend watching Chris Vallone’s Classic VW bugs headliner videos on YouTube. The videos go step by step and really help. I don’t recommend buying the headliner padding kit you see advertised, just use wood floor underlayment. As for spray adhesive, I used 2 1/2 cans of 3m hi-strength 90 contact adhesive.

Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1964 Beetle project Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:

Those are Euro lenses.
cfelke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1964 Beetle project Reply with quote

Finished the interior today.... Carpet, rubber mats installed, painted shifter and E brake, installed the seats and parcel tray. Still a ways to go on this beater.

cfelke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1964 Beetle project Reply with quote

Installed cb performance dropped spindles, and German king / link pins. I have never done this before but it went well.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1964 Beetle project Reply with quote

how did you end up mounting your tpa3116 Bluetooth / usb board ? Does it work well? What kind of speakers did you use? I'm looking into this as a cheap solution for a radio option. Also, idk how much you know about radios and these usb boards, but do any of them have a radio in?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: