Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Decklid stand off
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

Thinking of adding one to my mostly stock '73. After getting home today, the dipstick felt a little warm. My drive starts in moderate traffic and ends by driving over a mountain and up and down some hills. 30 miles one way. The drive home is the reverse, ending in traffic. My VW runs well, and shows no signs of overheating while driving, but the dipstick felt hot today. It was a fairly warm day of 80°F. It was 90 a couple of weeks ago, and the same thing. No problems with how the car is running, the dipstick just feels hot. Will a decklid standoff cool things down a little? I've also seen the oversized crank pulley, and was thinking of giving that a try.

Edit: I spelled it wrong!

Last edited by 73SlowBug on Mon May 21, 2018 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklod stand off Reply with quote

first check that the carb is not too lean and the ignition timing is correct. Then check the engine bay seal and that all the tin is there.

A stock 1600 should not have any problems in 90* weather even climbing in the mountains.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklod stand off Reply with quote

When you say carb running to lean, are you talking about the jetting? How can you truly determine lean vs rich other than pulling plugs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklod stand off Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
first check that the carb is not too lean and the ignition timing is correct. Then check the engine bay seal and that all the tin is there.

A stock 1600 should not have any problems in 90* weather even climbing in the mountains.

All the tin is there. With sheet metal plugging the carb preheat hole. No large gaps in the tin. Timing is at about 8° btdc at idle. It is 45° full advance with vacuum line connected at 3500 rpms, which is in the specs for installing the svda. The instructions said 38-45 full advance with vacuum line connected. I'd think if it were over advanced, it would knock going up the mountain and once hot? I'm not hearing any pinging. Its definitely not too far retarded either, at 45°. And it's possible its not overheating. The dipstick feels hot to the touch, but I can touch and hold it. Just not comfortably.

When setting the carb up, I turned the mixture screw in until the rpms dropped a little, then turned it back out. I could turn it out a little more so it idles a little richer. I have my idle set at 1000 rpms, and it seems to run better there than at the spec 850, epecially after a long drive at highway speeds.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklod stand off Reply with quote

I have my 70 idling at about 950 as well. It does idle better. What carb is it? Doesn’t the idle mixture just affect the mixture at idle?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklod stand off Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
I have my 70 idling at about 950 as well. It does idle better. What carb is it? Doesn’t the idle mixture just affect the mixture at idle?

Bocar 34 pict 3, built in 1995. Form what I can tell, an exact copy of the solex model. From my understanding, you can only adjust idle mixture on the 34-3, unless you rejet. of course. I'm sure someone more experienced will correct me if I'm wrong.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklod stand off Reply with quote

The dipstick will be hot when it’s hot out. How hot is the question. Every person had a different tolerance level. It’s not going to be just warm after a run through the mountains at 90 degrees. But I can’t tell you how hot it is on your end.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklod stand off Reply with quote

Try a tennis ball on the latch first.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklod stand off Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
The dipstick will be hot when it’s hot out. How hot is the question. Every person had a different tolerance level. It’s not going to be just warm after a run through the mountains at 90 degrees. But I can’t tell you how hot it is on your end.

There inlies the problem. I sure wish vw installed a temp guage. That's on my summer to do list as well.
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklod stand off Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Try a tennis ball on the latch first.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Never thought of that. It's free . I like free. I'll try it.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklod stand off Reply with quote

73SlowBug wrote:
The dipstick feels hot to the touch, but I can touch and hold it. Just not comfortably.

...the other end is sticking in 200° oil. The temp you describe seems perfectly fine to me.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklod stand off Reply with quote

kangaboy wrote:
73SlowBug wrote:
The dipstick feels hot to the touch, but I can touch and hold it. Just not comfortably.

...the other end is sticking in 200° oil. The temp you describe seems perfectly fine to me.

I worry too much I'm sure. But I also daily drive a 46 year old car through the woods with no cell reception. I might drive my subie tomorrow. I have to drive a coworker to work, and I think he needs modern "amenities" like power windows and AC. Plus last week he was a little rough with my bug's seatbelt and the plastic cover came off. But I'm off topic.
Maybe the vw is fine. But I'll feel a lot better once I get the temp guage installed.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

Get a gene berg dipstick. I’ve read great things about them. I don’t have one, I worry about enough.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
Get a gene berg dipstick. I’ve read great things about them. I don’t have one, I worry about enough.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1196002

I have one.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Frodge wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1196002

I have one.

I'm definitely getting one of those. Thanks for the link. The price is decent, and I don't have to mount a guage, or figure out where to route the wiring.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

Let us know how it’s running.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

Unless you’re a very experienced (usually old) VW person, simply feeling the dipstick is not a good indication on how hot the oil is. John Muir used the pass-between-the-hands method, but in these modern times, we have more precise means.

I bought an aircooled.net temperature dipstick. It tells me exactly how hot my oil is. I spent $65.00 for it. It’s very well made, but you can’t have an oil-filler down tube. The Gene Berg dipstick is also a good indicator, and it tells you the moment you’re getting too hot—and for about half the price of the dipstick thermometer.

Either way, get one or the other.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

If you get the one from the classifieds, remember to put your dipstick in the glovebox so you can check the oil level. It's not impossible to use that one, it's just that the tube is a gold color and I had a hard time seeing the oil on it.

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

I also use the Save your Bug dipstick. That is a great device.

I went through thinking that my last 1600 was getting hotter than I felt was normal. So, I went to Home Depot and purchased an Infered thermometer. Its highly accurate and easy to use. I would shoot right at the oil pressure switch. I do not remember the temps I was recording but they were fairly high. Maybe someone here has similiar numbers you could use for a reference.

I have left that IR thermometer in the glove box, cause I still check it now and again. It has helped in tuning as well. You can easily tell if a cylinder is not running like the others by measuring the exhaust manifold temps!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
I also use the Save your Bug dipstick. That is a great device.

I have the SaveMyBug dipstick. Good product. I like that it keeps the appearances stock, is easily removed, easy to install, warns automatically of a potential overheat issue, is cheap, and can still be used to visually spot check the oil temps.

It functions much (near exactly) like the old 'coil' home furnace thermostats to perform it's duty.

Assuming that the metal/innards of the dipstick have a linear relationship between the position of the wire and the oil temperature (a fairly safe assumption). I determined this:

If you rotate the SMB dipstick so that the screw head will be contacted by the copper rod/wire at approximately the 12 o'clock position, you can estimate the oil temps you are having by simply looking at the wire's position on the 'clockface"

I worked it out with how many "minutes" (degrees of rotation) equals each degree of oil temp, but I left that note card in my owner's manual, which is with the Bug at the transmission shop right now, but I do remember that:

9:00 is approximately 190*F

I also think 8:00 was somewhere in the 170*F range.

Typically my stock 1600DP runs between those temps.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: