Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AAZ pulley wobble
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: AAZ pulley wobble Reply with quote

Hey all (or should I just start saying, "hey Andrew"?)

Trying to get this AAZ back on the road, hence all the posts lately...

I put in a Giles pump about a year ago, and then the van continued to sit in storage due to a myriad of other things going on. In the back of my mind, I feel like I may have zipped the crank pulley bolt off and back on with an impact gun. Sacrilege I know. I also didn't replace the timing belt because the PO said it had recently been replaced.

Got the van out of storage and trying to get everything in order. The van is running well, fires up in less than a full crank and seems to tick over just fine. Had some belt noise, but isolated that to the alternator. The van is running the DV vbelt setup.

That said, I'm going to replace the belt, tensioner and bolt and in doing so have been looking over everything closely. The vbelt crank pulley does appear to have some wobble and I'm wondering if any wobble indicates a problem, or do they all wobble a bit? The motor vibrates quite a bit at idle (could maybe be a hair faster), so it's hard to tell how much is the engine vibrating and how much is the pulley itself, but it's definitely moving a little. I would guess 1-2mm front to back at the outside edge of the pulley.

Next step is to pull the crank bolt and inspect the keyway, which I will do as soon as I either make a tool or buy one to hold the crank from rotating. I made one from 1/8" steel flatbar and that bent/ripped... Do they all have wear in the keyway, or should it look pristine?

Sorry for the ramble, many thanks.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ pulley wobble Reply with quote

They usually wobble a small bit due to the end of the crank not being exactly true. It's hard to tell without seeing a video whether or not I'd say what you describe is excessive. The end of the crank is usually not perfect, but the keyway sides should be clean/sharp. Without the bolt, you shouldn't be able to feel any wiggle back and forth CW/CCW if that makes sense.
Mike Robinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ pulley wobble Reply with quote

My pulley wobbled for years. With the potential problem of the crank nose I fitted a clutch onto the alternator which takes a lot of strain off the pulley.

When I had my timing belt replaced I got the pulley and stretch bolt replaced at the same time.

There was no wear on the pulley or the crank nose.

The new pulley wobbles like the old one.

So as Andrew says they are not machined perfectly.

If you do take it apart to check always use a new bolt and torque it correctly. A job I gave to an experienced mechanic.

Mike

82 Westy Diesel AAZ
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ pulley wobble Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
They usually wobble a small bit due to the end of the crank not being exactly true. It's hard to tell without seeing a video whether or not I'd say what you describe is excessive. The end of the crank is usually not perfect, but the keyway sides should be clean/sharp. Without the bolt, you shouldn't be able to feel any wiggle back and forth CW/CCW if that makes sense.

Here's the crank (sorry quality not better):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the pulley:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I can't really detect any wear on either item, and the caliper (I know, bit crude but the best I could do) shows them both right at 8mm. That said, I do get a very small amount of lash (if that's the correct term) without the bolt. I don't think it's even discernible to the eye, but you can hear it click back and forth.

The pattern on the mating faces probably tells some kind of story? Not sure. I wonder if it's been wobbling / wearing just in the 10-15 miles I've driven since reinstalling the IP and not torquing the bolt properly (if that did in fact happen)?

Here's a video I took the other day, unfortunately was more interested in the rattling noise so only briefly show the crank pulley which looks less wobbly that it did when I was really looking at it.

https://goo.gl/photos/vvrriVuuT7R8GKT28
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ pulley wobble Reply with quote

That looks fine. The wobble in the vid is minimal. I'd probably replace the crank sprocket. It will probably be fine with the v-belt system. The usual disclaimers apply.
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ pulley wobble Reply with quote

Thanks Andrew - that's the best I could have hoped for [including disclaimers]. Will get a pulley ordered up.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ pulley wobble Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:
Thanks Andrew - that's the best I could have hoped for [including disclaimers]. Will get a pulley ordered up.

Sprocket not pulley I believe.
Mike Robinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ pulley wobble Reply with quote

...and order a new stretch bolt ...

M
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ pulley wobble Reply with quote

Yeah sorry - understood sprocket, said pulley. Have the new bolt and a spare on the way... (At $3, why not)

How does everyone feel about the aftermarket sprockets vs the VW sprocket? AutoHausAZ has the Meyle sprocket for $20, ECS has the VW sprocket for $55 (and a host of other aftermarket suppliers).

Also confirming the current part number is: 028105263E ? The D part appears to be the newer TDI "d" style.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ pulley wobble Reply with quote

There’s an app for that:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/strobe-light-tachometer-to/id708094321?mt=8
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ pulley wobble Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:
Also confirming the current part number is: 028105263E ? The D part appears to be the newer TDI "d" style.

See this post regarding those part numbers:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7506767&highlight=#7506767

I'd want to see a photo of the back of the sprocket before ordering ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ pulley wobble Reply with quote

Just an update.

Unfortunately the VW sprocket I ordered turned out to be NLA, and all they had was a Vaico, so went with that.

It fit nice and tight on the end of the crank, but it wobbled extremely badly. Luckily I bought 2 new crank bolts just in case, so off it came and the original went back on - very minimal wobble now.

Having trouble with the water pump double sheave setup wobbling a little bit - but happy to have the newer crank bolt in and torqued to spec.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ pulley wobble Reply with quote

Did you replace the front crank seal? It looks a bit damp on the front lower cover in your one picture.
tcal112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ pulley wobble Reply with quote

I know this an old Post. However I have been informed a out the wobble. Mine wobbles a bit I have the v belt system 82 no power steering. Would I benefit from a clutched alternator pulley? If so any one in particular
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ pulley wobble Reply with quote

The clutched pulley is exclusively for the serpentine belt system. If you are using the v-belt system, then it will not work for you. The v-belt system will likely be fine.
Italjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ pulley wobble Reply with quote

My solution to the wobbly pulley in the AAZ 1.9 TD engine.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ pulley wobble Reply with quote

I would add that the AAZ had a simple idler tensioner that oscillates excessively and wears out prematurely. This is because the higher power and rotational dynamics of the system pulsates more on idle than the smaller JX engine. Simply, it has more uneven torquing while idling, which causes the belt and idler to look like it wants to self-destruct. If you use the iPhone strobe app you can see this effect. Especially in cold weather it has a characteristic chirp. VW engineers figured this out and later engines had a dampened idler pulley, you can add it as an upgrade.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: