Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW names
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sora-Iro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73 Bug - I named her Sora-Iro. It's japanese for sky blue. I love japanese culture and it was either a trip to Japan or get her.....Japan will be there for next time, she would've have been. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my new to me yellow 72 standard was given the name of "Bruised Banana" by my brother
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

generally, the first of a year model i get just gets the designation "The 67" or "The 59"...Although the idea of naming my 59 rag the "frankenrag" has come to light

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new bugs name is Elsa because she'll look like a white queen when she's restored and because I have three young girls.
Underdog65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 65 beetle is named Sweetpolly I have always been a fan of Underdog and even have a tattoo of him so she's my Sweetpolly.
Fred_e81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VW names Reply with quote

My 61 beetle is named Arabella Oomblie. She had a name tag screwed into the dash.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: VW names Reply with quote

Rosie
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Holey42001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: VW names Reply with quote

I named my 73 bug Tulip
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If it’s not leaking oil, there probably isn’t any left.

1973 Standard Bug
1972 MG Midget
1973 Hilux w/flatbed & crate motor
1989 Aero & Adams FV
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VW names Reply with quote

Names don't come easy to my vehicles. I don't choose them. They have to present themselves.

Shortly after I got the car, my daughter came up with 'Ginger.' She had been to Scotland a few years ago on a summer work/study group and became fascinated with the reddish-headed population there, referred to as 'gingers.' My car is red, so it seemed a natural.
Rhysos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: VW names Reply with quote

My '65 Beetle is affectionately known as 'Gretchen'. It was the name given to her by the original owner, but it was forgotten as she passed through many hands over the intervening decades. I bumped into the original owner by pure coincidence just after I purchased the car 17 years ago, so once again she became Gretchen after I was informed of her true identity Cool
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: VW names Reply with quote

The previous owner (for the last 27 years!) named our bus "Eve".
In honour to Eve Muir, the wife of famous John Muir who wrote the popular VW guide: "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot"

As the bus received many different spots of primer over the decades, kids in the neighborhood also called it the "Cloud-Bus".

Read more in this blog post

Barndoor Coachbuilder Topics:
"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: VW names Reply with quote

I've named all three of mine. 64 Bug was the first and I dubbed it Harvey. Came to me with a Herbie kit on it, but it was a little shabby so deemed it Harvey, Herbies drunken/disheveled evil cousin. Dune buggy I call Burt or Bert. Was Berndt which is a German name and since it has flames..... 60 Rag is Barry, short for Blueberry since its blue.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: VW names Reply with quote

Just a question. VW came up with the Bug and the Rabbit. Since I have both does that mean I have a Bugs Bunny?
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW names Reply with quote

My 63 Pearl White sunroof bug is "Herbie", because it was a Herbie replica for 12 years. The decals have been removed a couple years now, but we still call it Herbie.

My 62 Maroon hippy painted sunroof bug is "Ruby." My daughter named her as soon as I pulled in the driveway pulling it behind my truck. It was solid maroon at the time. I got out, and her and my wife were standing there and she declared, "Her name is Ruby. She's Herbie's girlfriend." That was 10 years ago when she was 6. The name stuck. Now that I've covered it with hippy flowers, peace signs, rock group logos, slogans, etc. the name seems even more fitting (and that wasn't what I intended to do to the car. I was going to do a high end custom car and paint it orange). My inner hippy took over and that was that.

Ruby the day I brought her home and she was named.

Ruby now hippified.

bigdirt09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: VW names Reply with quote

My newest rescue and Resto. PORKY. Name was fitting because it was a pork delivery panel workhorse.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: VW names Reply with quote

Joann after the original owner, I technically bought from the original owner, long story though Laughing Just got her this December and got her running after sitting for 44 years.

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyflame73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: VW names Reply with quote

Never Have been able to name my cars. The family just calls it "The Bug". Not very original or inspiraling. But, I may have come up with one that seems appropriate. Süßigkeiten Kraut is the front runner at the moment.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: VW names Reply with quote

This 60 bug became my wifes daily driver after my commute became to far and crazy for a VW. She used for 3 or 4 years going places with it that I wouldnt , for some reason we started calling him Herbie and it stuck. There is one VW everyone regrets selling this is that one.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: VW names Reply with quote

personally, i find it a little odd naming inanimate objects after people Smile Just goes to show how attached an individual can become with what they love.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VW names Reply with quote

A car is not really inanimate!

Sometimes our cars get names passed down from previous owners, and other times people have named our cars, but for the most part, I let names come organically. It's whatever I start calling the car, and it usually becomes clear a month or two into ownership.

For example, for my late model red Passat, I started calling it Miss Passat, and the name stuck. (My wife calls it "sassy passy," but that doesn't sound right coming from my mouth.)

Heinz Nordhoff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 28

Jump to: