Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bucket of parts
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

Cam is a zero gear aftermarket Cofap, what threw me off was the 285number on the front.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here’s the thrust bearing it’s seen better days
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

Wow.. those bearings look like the oil had a fine grit mixed in it. Very dirty and gritty looking. It makes you wonder if the engine ever had the oil changed?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

I’m about 99% positive the engine was on a sandrail or buggy used off-road because of the tri-mil type exhaust and pulley guard that was part of this package. Take apart any engine and you’ll see the clues and markers as to what level of care it received during it’s service life. That pinched bearing at #4 main sure didn’t help 😀
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

Had another set of eyes look at this crankshaft, he operated a repair shop here in town late 70s through early 2000s, Dynabug VW. His findings agree with mine, damage to a crank journal is too severe. Odd as it seems #4 main cleaned up as did #3 main and #4 rod journal, the others probably would have but all it takes is one to mess up the plan and it did. As it stands this crank would make a nice candidate for turning to next undersize 20/20 but to set up and do one crankshaft would be cost prohibitive. Shop I worked at did batches of 25 or more at a time, that keeps costs down.

So I threw in the towel and went to the stash to find another crankshaft, it’s a well preserved std/std stock 69mm crank. I also found a nice set of balanced connecting rods and some lifters to use. So really things are looking up no need for cast cranks or hundreds of dollars in rods, lifters etc. We will concentrate on double checking all the measurements but still will be out all new bearings, gaskets and seals. Still not out of the woods on case evaluation either needs cleaning bolting together checking for warping,cracking, condition of main saddles, and also that nastiness on the sump area

Here’s a nice old donor std/std crank just needs cleaned and polished, it’s one of those things you save for a rainy day

Look real close you can see pitting, it’s to far gone for polish

Here’s what #4 looks like after a light polish

scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

What's the plan for all of this stuff? Y'all building an engine or just making a thread on engine parts?
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
What's the plan for all of this stuff? Y'all building an engine or just making a thread on engine parts?

Yes I can see where this would become confusing and disoriented. To recap it started with member SB001 answering an ad on Craigslist for VW engine as a basket case, he paid less than 100 dollars for it. That was one thread then it got mentioned again on a second thread “ who drove their bug today” then again as needing advice on buying parts to build a short block. From now on I’ll confine anything I have to say here and my apologies for creating confusion and violating the rule of multiple threads same topic.

So in a nutshell the name of the game here is to take this bucket of parts and make a good 1600 engine on a budget by using good cores which mic out within limits and nothing marginal. For me it’s entertainment, something to do but for SB001 it’s experience of building an engine, he wants hands on.

In the end he’ll probably sell it and some person will get a nice engine for less than the going rate. Full disclosure as this thread will tell the build story, good for me as I get rid of excess parts, good for SB001 as he gets experience and good for buyer as they get a bargain. 😁 Finally this thread may also make the point that its quite possible to build a reliable engine without the need for just taking out the checkbook and buying all new. My way of thinking? A good mechanic is able to identify problems using the manuals and execute repairs which are approved and within engineering limits whereas parts changers just R and R.... Take a second look at that #4 main, once all the bearing material was cleaned off the journal itself was in good shape, there will be other examples along the way.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

So in a nutshell the name of the game here is to take this bucket of parts and make a good 1600 engine on a budget by using good cores which mic out within limits and nothing marginal....

Finally this thread may also make the point that its quite possible to build a reliable engine without the need for just taking out the checkbook and buying all new....A good mechanic is able to identify problems using the manuals and execute repairs which are approved and within engineering limits whereas parts changers just R and R....

Ok, I'm in for the long-haul!
Popcorn

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

I'll second that, this'll be a good thread to learn from for my eventual build! Cool
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

Okay, so more or less a budget build for the experience. If y’all follow through all the way, this topic will be great for guys on the fence about doing a DIY rebuild or repair. I know it can be intimidating to get started! Perf/Eng forum is full of helpful guys but it’s a deep river and it moves fast. You need a thorough basic understanding to wade in over there.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

You all will have to be patient as zundfolge lives about 2 hours away so this thread will ebb and flow with my scheduling to get over there along with his time. Yes this thread would be a good building block experience, I've helped out on an engine build before on the 72 super I bought and sold but this one I want to do all myself including all measuring scoping and sourcing any parts zundfolge is not providing, the reason for my other thread about the short block kit is I wasn't sure what he had in supply already and/ or what he was willing to part with. If someone out there is starting at the same point I am it behooves everyone to point out that they will probably NOT have access to an experienced mechanic with a big stash of parts and they may need to compromise on some things to get in on the budget they have. Everyone scream and yells about buying better parts but it is what it is, and people including those yelling on my thread over there need to understand that everyone's situation is different (this goes double for people who post "THE END" after their comments over there as if they are the last word on anything, I let it go over there but that shit won't be tolerated here.) That said, I always try to source best quality parts I can and it also helps to have places like bughaus in my backyard.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

This is interesting. What is the budget?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
This is interesting. What is the budget?

Biascally it's whatever zund wants for his parts we are using + whatever I have to buy outside of that, so no telling yet. (I can say I spent $75 on the "bucket of parts" though.) Smile

That's the reason I'm contemplating NOT having this be referred to as a "budget build" thread (even though it will be) and instead more of a "how to" thread.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

This will be fun to watch. Love this kinda of stuff. My “Budget build” has now become a game of “How far I can push the budget with Xatie and not get caught” Laughing I’ve lost track how many times I’ve rationalized $20 extra for a better part here and there. I’m going with “Ignorance is Bliss” approach to the budget. The many months of no progress because of of all our schedules and other obligations have taken the sting out. I think Laughing Thank goodness my buddy is teaching me and letting me do some work. Like you and Zundfolge
distance and schedules makes it a challenge. Just did some quick math on parts I’ve already purchased and looked at my list of parts and machine work I haven’t paid for yet . I’m in trouble Laughing maybe I won’t have the tins powder coated Wink Looking forward to your build.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

Moderator note:
I removed a string of BS.
Let's stay on the topic without attacking other members.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

I didn't see it, and I thank you for that Everett. Applause
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

So had a chance to better clean the case and look for trouble areas. Bolted up to check for warp. Took a few more pics along the way.

Look where some goober tried to pry it apart with a metal tool probably a screwdriver, also you see tool marks over by the cam this is more carelessness and savagery.

More ignorance evident here.

Here are two places along the bottom we’re you can pry carefully to separate case halves. Go slow don’t leave damage

Here’s a sharp piece of casting slag that’s been there since new, it will cut your finger like a knife, I’ll file it down

It’s always been standard practice to stamp the number of last align bore here under the oil cooler mount. This one says 1st over 020

This area along the back is a known crack place usually from oil galley plug

This area is another common wear place the cylinder tin digs into the case, look

Yes the big enchilada corrosion caused by water damage, looks shitty I’ll be making a devcon repair stay tuned.

Ear broken off for sled tin mount, very common.

Looking inside checking for visual signs of warp

Checking oil galley plugs

Six big nuts tightened down and look a Costco beer, wtf.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

Great thread! Where you explain that there is a pry area on the case. I see you have a screwdriver in between the “fins” and looks to be pushing against the case screws as leverage? Is this correct? Thank you.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

Have not found anything yet that would be reason to reject this case in fact it’s it’s first cut standard thrust which means it’s not pounded to death. So far it’s just been common areas of wear with a mix of rough handling and amateurish mistakes made during service... still moving forward next stop machine shop for some dimensional checks. It will be cleaned again at least two more times prior to build. Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
Great thread! Where you explain that there is a pry area on the case. I see you have a screwdriver in between the “fins” and looks to be pushing against the case screws as leverage? Is this correct? Thank you.

Yes and you’ll see the same thing in Tom Wilson’s book. I don’t believe in the so called case splitter tool never needed one in over 40 years but I like plastic or phenolic wedge which will not damage the light alloy casting.
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket of parts Reply with quote

I've seen worse repaired, looks like it might just live yet! Cool
Good tip on the prying points, IIRC aren't there overhanging lips at a couple points that can be tapped with a hammer (rubber/brass/wood/dead-blow) to help separation?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: