Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help KentPS get back on the road?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
I've heard it called shipwright's disease. One of the cleats is rusty so you replace it with a nice brass cleat, the deck it's attached to is a little spongey so that gets fixed too but while doing it you find, well you get the idea. I almost bought a small sailboat once until it occurred to me that it would be like a floating bus.

LMAO Laughing

Gary - if there is anything you need PM me.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Did you compression test this engine when you did all the work to it way back when Kent? What were the results if you did? If the compression was good, you maybe able to skip re-ringing the pistons. Simply yank the other head off and inspect it carefully. I agree with Kent though in you're throwing the dice if you reuse it without a rebuild.

Not to be Debbie Downer but many folks do a top end on their (tired) engine. This then contributes to a rod knock due to the increased compression. Confused

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Same thing with bathrooms...started a bathroom refresh and first thing I know, it's down to the studs and the subfloor and I'm renting a chaincutter to get out the old cast iron stinkpipe...my bus weakness is rust,,,it's the gift that keeps on giving.

Good luck getting rolling again.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Did you compression test this engine when you did all the work to it way back when Kent? What were the results if you did? If the compression was good, you maybe able to skip re-ringing the pistons. Simply yank the other head off and inspect it carefully. I agree with Kent though in you're throwing the dice if you reuse it without a rebuild.

Yes Bill. The last compression check was done last fall, I think. The numbers were in the 120-130 range.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

If you are not burning oil, and if you don't have a lot of blowby 120-130 is healthy - as long as it was reasonably equal on all cylinders. You are probably a candidate to send the heads (plural) to Adrian and have them rebuilt. Or buy new heads from Len Hoffman. If you put new heads on it, rebuild the whole engine and enjoy it for 100,000 miles. If you just have the heads reworked, enjoy it for 20,000 more miles and plan on a full rebuild then with new heads. That is my opinion. Others may feel differently.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
If you are not burning oil, and if you don't have a lot of blowby 120-130 is healthy - as long as it was reasonably equal on all cylinders. You are probably a candidate to send the heads (plural) to Adrian and have them rebuilt. Or buy new heads from Len Hoffman. If you put new heads on it, rebuild the whole engine and enjoy it for 100,000 miles. If you just have the heads reworked, enjoy it for 20,000 more miles and plan on a full rebuild then with new heads. That is my opinion. Others may feel differently.

Kent,

This ^^ is what I was going to say if you came back with good compression numbers.

I wouldn't screw with the pistons/cylinders or rings. Get the heads fixed and run it for 20k miles or more w/luck.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

New heads would be great. But I saw the price online, and it's not feasible now. So a rebuild is definitely out of the question. I'd have to sell or park her for a couple years. Medical bills are already eating me alive, and it's going to get worse this summer.

It's never burned any oil, just a slight irritating leak I'm planning on fixing while the drivetrain is out. On the journey from PS to GC to Quartzite, I added about a half quart of oil. I try to keep the oil level even with the top line of the dipstick, and it was down about 1/4" the one time I added oil.

So, option two is rebuilding heads...

While I was with WilliamM, he had a 1700 head that was in good condition with new valve guides already installed. And he had valves that had been reground, and springs in good condition. He spent a couple hours showing me how to use a set of Neway valve seat cutters to get the best fit. So I am super confident the replacement head is good to go.

The plan is to remove the bad head and compare the volume of (the hopefully undamaged) #4 to the new head to determine if it's similar. And if it is comparable, to install it and do a compression check all the way around. And learn how to do a leak down test while I was at it. It's my understanding these tests will tell me how good the rings are functioning.

I don't know what is involved when someone rebuilds the heads, but I'm assuming it's similar to what BillM did for me in Quartzite. If the 1/2 head compression and volume is similar to the 3/4 side, what would be the benefit of rebuilding them? (Hope that doesn't sound flippant, as I am seriously asking. I'm still firmly entrenched in the "newbie" category of ACVW ownership.)

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
what would be the benefit of rebuilding them? [i](Hope that doesn't sound flippant, as I am seriously asking.

having the EXACT same problem on the other head in 800 miles.

I appreciate your passion for the bus, but how many Band-Aids are you willing to pay for?

yea, these will run cobbled together...for how long? who knows. if you factor in all your down time, towing etc....it's getting expensive, huh?

at minimum I would do new heads, and a 100mph hone and re ring. because we know what's next....the cam gear coming loose from the cam, blowing a galley plug, or....or....or.....

I dunno....seems your plan is to put good money after bad.....multiple times. I don't want to see anyone do that, but you know...you can lead a horse to water....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

Are you saying the other head may also take a dump due to the possible overheating during the climb up to the Grand Canyon?

---WildIdea

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

Are you saying the other head may also take a dump due to the possible overheating during the climb up to the Grand Canyon?

I think it's about the other head being at the same place in its wear cycle and possibly not far behind. Not trying to speak for Skills, but I think that's the general idea. An engine that's wearing out may have 50 trips for ice cream left in it, but probably not too many Grand Canyon climbs. The engine in and outs eat lots of time and energy and they end up not being free either.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

I’ve seen this failure before in Mikes 1979. As I said earlier, unless you pull the injector connector, when you drive on a dead cylinder the fuel washes away the oil lubricating those rings which causes excessive wear.

How many miles did you drive with #3 at zero compression?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

My vote is for matching replacement heads and new pistons and cylinders.

New heads because there was a failure, and the other head has about as many combustion events as the failed head. Wink Make sure both heads have the same spigot size, valve size, CC volume, and exhaust port shape as your old heads!

New pistons and cylinders because my life is short and $300 is absolutely worth not having to deal with measuring parts with unknown history and milage, machine shops that don't specialize in VWs, and have to explain raygreenwood's very thorough posts to near-retiring machinists who just don't give a damn. The shops that will be able to hone it perfectly, pus the costs of the new rings, plug time to drive to San Diego or Inland Empire to find these machinists all add up… $300 plus an afternoon scrubbing them clean and painting the cylinders black? Cool

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

She will be put up for sale.

---WildIdea

calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Say it ain’t so. Crying or Very sad
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Shocked Well- at least pull the head off and see what condition the cylinder is in.

Having no history of this engine - it could be a mid miler put together with original heads. So try and ignore all the "could", "Maybes" and "You otta's" and come back with a few facts- With out a micrometer in your hands- its all speculation. Very Happy

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

I've been there, and I'm sure a lot of other folks here have too. What happened sucks and is a real set back. I will never tell anyone to take shortcuts, but I do recommend weighing your expected use out of this bus against the work that can or should be done.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
KentPS wrote:

I've been there, and I'm sure a lot of other folks here have too. What happened sucks and is a real set back. I will never tell anyone to take shortcuts, but I do recommend weighing your expected use out of this bus against the work that can or should be done.

Hey Kent - I'm nearing the same point in my life. Sad but reality.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
scrivyscriv wrote:
KentPS wrote:

Hey Kent - I'm nearing the same point in my life. Sad but reality.

Kent - are you selling it because of the cost repairing it, or because you no longer trust it? Not prying just want to be sure that this is what you really want. It will bring more running than needing repairs.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

Cool, I could use a bus.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Brian you vulture
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: