Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Beetle: Correct Carb & Distributor
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thunderhead289
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: 1967 Beetle: Correct Carb & Distributor Reply with quote

Hello friends -
The lady and i are embarking on another beetle adventure.
we picked up a 1967 that has been parked since 1993 in a garage.

currently it has a 111-905-205 distributor with the only advance being of vacuum nature.
the carb is a pict 28 with only one vacuum port (vacuum advance hooked up)

iv seen mixed things about what carb for what year and engine size - is the 28 the proper size for a 67? im assuming the 67 is a 1500 engine, but i need to check engine code when i get home to verify - i believe im looking for an H engine code.

Im new to this, and want to do it right.
my other question is on how the oiling system works.
if i remember right, the air cooled engines have a bypass for the oil in how it goes to the oil cooler? can someone explain the routing to me? thanks a ton.

thunderhead289 @ youtube
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle: Correct Carb & Distributor Reply with quote

thunderhead289 wrote:
Hello friends -
The lady and i are embarking on another beetle adventure.
we picked up a 1967 that has been parked since 1993 in a garage.

currently it has a 111-905-205 distributor with the only advance being of vacuum nature.
the carb is a pict 28 with only one vacuum port (vacuum advance hooked up)

iv seen mixed things about what carb for what year and engine size - is the 28 the proper size for a 67? im assuming the 67 is a 1500 engine, but i need to check engine code when i get home to verify - i believe im looking for an H engine code.

Im new to this, and want to do it right.
my other question is on how the oiling system works.
if i remember right, the air cooled engines have a bypass for the oil in how it goes to the oil cooler? can someone explain the routing to me? thanks a ton.

thunderhead289 @ youtube

I'm not sure about the carb, but yes H code is correct for '67.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tonys1pr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle: Correct Carb & Distributor Reply with quote

Correct carburetor should be a German 30 Pict 1 with a 105-1 stamp on the manifold flange.

Useful site for reference:

http://1967beetle.com/shop/
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle: Correct Carb & Distributor Reply with quote

You have the correct distributor. Carb is wrong.
Photo of the motor would be a real treat.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle: Correct Carb & Distributor Reply with quote

If it was a European model, it might have had a smaller 1300 or even 1200 engine in it, and could have had the 28 carb originally.
thunderhead289
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle: Correct Carb & Distributor Reply with quote

I verified tonight that it is indeed an H code engine. (1967 1500 - standard carb is pic 30)
I would assume that this means the carb is wrong.

I do have another one, i will have to verify what is is and check back with you all.

I know i have a pertronix ignitor 3 distributor somewhere here from our last beetle. am i limited by a carb with my timing curve? ie does the carb and the timing mechanisms have to match up a certain way?

I beleive the pertronix is a mechanical and vacuum unit.
if the carb i have is a 34 unit, could i run that distributor & 34 combo on the 1500 engine?
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle: Correct Carb & Distributor Reply with quote

A 111 series distributor and a 28 PICT carburetor are a correct match, not necessarily for that engine. To be more accurate you need to include the letter suffix at the end of the VW part number on the distributor.

If you change to a 30 PICT series carburetor you will have to also change to a 113 series distributor. these would be a 113 905 205 K, M or T. There are a few others, these are the most common.

The SVDA Pertronix distributor can/should only be run with a 34 PICT 3 carburetor.

If you are looking for original look and performance stay with the 28 PICT and 111 distributor and spend your time, effort and money making sure they are working properly.

Yes, VW engines have oil pressure relief valves, later engines having two of the,m. There are many diagrams out there that show this probably better than a verbal explanation.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thunderhead289
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle: Correct Carb & Distributor Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
A 111 series distributor and a 28 PICT carburetor are a correct match, not necessarily for that engine. To be more accurate you need to include the letter suffix at the end of the VW part number on the distributor.

If you change to a 30 PICT series carburetor you will have to also change to a 113 series distributor. these would be a 113 905 205 K, M or T. There are a few others, these are the most common.

The SVDA Pertronix distributor can/should only be run with a 34 PICT 3 carburetor.

If you are looking for original look and performance stay with the 28 PICT and 111 distributor and spend your time, effort and money making sure they are working properly.

Yes, VW engines have oil pressure relief valves, later engines having two of the,m. There are many diagrams out there that show this probably better than a verbal explanation.

I appreciate the response.
I will stick with them for now and adjust the carb jets accordingly. im assuming the smaller carb will pull more air, through the venturi so the different jets will need to be change for the proper AFR.

It seems like parts and pieces are scarce for the distributor, so when it wears out, i guess we will switch to the 34 carb and pertronix.

how does the vacuum advance work? im used to holley style ported or manifold vacuum that drops out under load (more throttle opening = more cylinder charge, and due to carb dynamics, a richer charge, so less timing is needed since the flame front is much quicker)

it seems that with no mechanical advance, a throttle stab will result in timing dropping back to 7.5 degrees- is this correct, or does the beetle vacuum advance work differently? ie the vacuum signal through that 28 carb is variable.

I appreciate any help - im trying to educate myself, but there seems to be a lot of bad info floating around out there in the internet world
tasb

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle: Correct Carb & Distributor Reply with quote

Parts for the 111 series distributors are not rare at all. You just have to know where to look and what to look for. Here's some help with the what portion of the equation:

Bosch short number:
points 1009
condenser 2069
cap 3001
rotor 4006
Search for NOS not new Bosch, NOS non Bosch have good quality as well. Vacuum canisters are still common NOS, but do a thurough search as the price varies widely.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thunderhead289
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle: Correct Carb & Distributor Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Parts for the 111 series distributors are not rare at all. You just have to know where to look and what to look for. Here's some help with the what portion of the equation:

Bosch short number:
points 1009
condenser 2069
cap 3001
rotor 4006
Search for NOS not new Bosch, NOS non Bosch have good quality as well. Vacuum canisters are still common NOS, but do a thurough search as the price varies widely.

You seem to have a pretty strong wealth of knowledge - how do you feel about the zinc situation on the flat tappet cam? iv always added zinc myself, but i see that the beetle has much lighter valve springs and the oil is changed more often (zinc is finite and is used up in the oil as time goes on)

Im just curious to know your opinion on this or what others might think?
Kind Regards -
tasb

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle: Correct Carb & Distributor Reply with quote

You're giving me more credit than I deserve. My expertise is distributors, coils and VW minutia. Others will have to chime in on this question. You might want to start a new topic in the performance engine forum.

Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle: Correct Carb & Distributor Reply with quote

My understanding is that if you have a motor that is already work hardened, zinc is not really a huge issue. It is an issue with a new build though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: