Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fastback spoiler/lip/wing discussion
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KallumR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Fastback spoiler/lip/wing discussion Reply with quote

Hello all,
For a very, very long time, i've been entertaining the prospect of adding a rear lip/spoiler to the back of my Fastback primarily for looks [judge as you will], but also for a bit of highway stability/light track use.
Now, I simply cannot find examples of people having done this in any capacity, which I find surprising. I'm really curious to see how it looks, even how it handles and how its put together but theres a frustratingly little amount of detail on any of it - perplexing for a car subculture heavily into modding and mucking around!
Honestly, the ideal option would be a spoiler/lip that mimics the 911 whale tail, in adjusting the silhouette at least rather than slicing a hole in the boot. Even something reminiscent of Datsun 240z's little 'ducktail' spoiler as it was called could look and function well.

Now the real crux of this post, has anyone put a wing on their Typ3? - or, does anyone have images of Fastbacks with anything i'm describing here, or, does anyone have any idea how one would go about adding a spoiler/lip/wing to a fastback.

Thanks all for having a look for me, keen to see what people think/post,
K.

[Heres a picture of my fastback, maybe to stir the creative juices!]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback spoiler/lip/wing discussion Reply with quote

You don't really need more downforce at the rear. The main problem at highway speeds is all the air that gets thrust under the car. Some have fitted a reshaped front spoiler to the body under the bumper. As long as you don't scrape it off at intersections and parking curbs, it may help. I can't find the thread, but someone found a specific later-model (water-cooled) VW model whose spoiler didn't need much modification. I've thought about this, if only I could find the part!
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback spoiler/lip/wing discussion Reply with quote

The kamei spoiler for Superbeetles is what I used, they fit well with some trimming around the brackets. The rear doesn’t need help with staying planted, but the front certainly does. We get 100km/hr winds and the kamei keeps mine planted on the road, not buffeting around with the gusts.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback spoiler/lip/wing discussion Reply with quote

Fasten your seat belts folks, this thread is about to take off...

While a lot of purists would probably say no way, the fact is the fasty certainly is the closest shape to our tapered cousin the 911, and they make those wings look badass!
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback spoiler/lip/wing discussion Reply with quote

A google search for whale tail on a beetle came back with a LOT of crazy ideas, none really looked right to me, I can't imagine it would be too different on a fasty.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&a...SNY-3ORapE
Kai4130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback spoiler/lip/wing discussion Reply with quote

This topic is most definitely not for the purists. Loving it.

Here’s my notch, not the best picture of a bolt on spoiler.
Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback spoiler/lip/wing discussion Reply with quote

looks pretty good to me

like the wheel arch flares and the spoilers...... its a nice combo
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback spoiler/lip/wing discussion Reply with quote

you could search for early 911 spoilers for some ideas. same era, but different bumpers though..

https://www.google.com/search?q=1970+911+front+spo...mp;bih=634
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback spoiler/lip/wing discussion Reply with quote

Interesting........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback spoiler/lip/wing discussion Reply with quote

So having owned a 911 for over a decade and spending a lot of time on the internet I have picked up a few things.

1) If you do something to the back make sure you do something to the front.
2) It doesn't create down force. It reduces lift or 'spoils' it.
3) They only start to work at high speed. Probably higher than most fast backs will ever go. Take a look at the chart below. I find it interesting.

That being said, if you are doing this for looks or just because you want to: Have at her and don't let anyone tell you other wise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kinggeorge13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback spoiler/lip/wing discussion Reply with quote

Found this thread today as I was thinking much the same thing: Not much on the internet of anyone fabricating a rear spoiler to "improve" the look of the rear of the VW fastback. I have a 1967 Fastback. Kind of a British racing darkish green. It's been repainted by a previous owner. I love the look of these cars from any frontal viewpoint. Their old-school Porschey look is unmistakable. But I'll admit and you can all slay me here if you like, the rear view disappoints me a little every time. It's not that it looks really bad. It just could look so much better. I often wonder if a properly placed rear spoiler would not make it look so much sportier. It does drive sporty. I love driving it. If I had fabricating skills and any kind of an eye for figuring out what looks good, I'd make one. If I could find one or a kit, I'd buy one.

Before you go all psycho at me, remind yourselves of the tons and tons and thousands of VW Beetle modifications made to be racier and sportier. I don't often see those folks getting bashed. So I hope you don't judge those of us with Fastbacks that imagine what bolting on a cool-looking rear spoiler might look like. I personally would be doing it only for the looks. Mine will not be going the speeds that would invoke much effect from such a device.

I do have to figure that one reason there are not readily available rear spoiler kits for the VW Fastback is there just was not that many of them sold and far less still on the road today. Not like Bugs and Buses that are still all over the place. So economically speaking, it's likely hard to come up with a business case to produce and market these to so few vehicles and admittedly even less owners who would want them.

I'll still think about it....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kinggeorge13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback spoiler/lip/wing discussion Reply with quote

For example. A slightly smaller (not as long) rear spoiler as in this one from a 1976 Porsche 911 might look ok. Not exactly this but something kinda like this.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback spoiler/lip/wing discussion Reply with quote

Why stop at one?

Rolling Eyes
kinggeorge13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback spoiler/lip/wing discussion Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Why stop at one?

Rolling Eyes

Because I hate straining to wash the rear window Very Happy
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback spoiler/lip/wing discussion Reply with quote

kinggeorge13 wrote:
Before you go all psycho at me, remind yourselves of the tons and tons and thousands of VW Beetle modifications made to be racier and sportier. I don't often see those folks getting bashed....

You haven't been to the abortions thread yet have you? Laughing
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback spoiler/lip/wing discussion Reply with quote

[quote="DQDan"]Fasten your seat belts folks, this thread is about to take off...

While a lot of purists would probably say no way, the fact is the fasty certainly is the closest shape to our tapered cousin the 911, and they make those wings look badass![/quote

I just found the 12"X18" color print of Doug Harvey's King Plush fasty drag car I bought at the 2006 Invasion in Myrtle Creek, OR. I should get it framed!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Doug+Harvey%27s+Ki...yqqKJPgSM:
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback spoiler/lip/wing discussion Reply with quote

A early 911 duck tail might look kinda cool.
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback spoiler/lip/wing discussion Reply with quote

I found that at about 90mph, the front of my Squareback would begin to lift noticeably and it would dance a bit. At over 100mph, it could get a little scary if you were on a narrow road.

So I fitted what's called a "Flex-dam" from www.914rubber.com to the bottom of my fiberglass front bumper. After proper reinforcement underneath the car to support it from the back side and tie it to the chassis, it has made all the difference in the feel of my car at high speeds. It did slow the car by about 4mph at Bonneville so we would take it of there. It made the front rock solid on the track.

My rear wing only ensures that every single bit of road mud gets stuck to the back of my car. Laughing I have no data or even anecdotal evidence that it performs any real function back there, it just seemed like it needed one to round out the look. Laughing

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback spoiler/lip/wing discussion Reply with quote

I always thought a Porsche 993 auto deploying rear wing would be a natural fit on a Fastback. If you used an electric speed sensor off a rear axle along with an arduino chip to run it, a cleaver person could have something really cool and functional.

This type of wing:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mnzumotRLqY

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
fastbackdavid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback spoiler/lip/wing discussion Reply with quote

Like this:

Look this guy, Glenn Christian Bjerke, up on FB. His Fastback is about as Porsche as possible. At least on the outside.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: