Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Bay died while driving - fuel injected auto federal model
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vacilador
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: 74 Bay died while driving - fuel injected auto federal model Reply with quote

Engine died on the way home from the grocery store tonight. No odd sounds, the engine just stopped. I was able to roll to a side road safely. (Walked home about 1/2 mile with the groceries).

Trying to start the engine, it sounds like it's cranking when I turn the key, but no matter how long I let it crank or how much gas I give it, it never turns over.

There's gas in the tank. The lights still work.

I'm not a mechanic, but slowly learning how to work on this 1974 Bay Window - it's fuel injected and an automatic.

Thoughts?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bay died while driving - fuel injected auto federal model Reply with quote

the first thing I would tell you is add a couple gallons of gas. VW bus gauges lie.

That said 3 things are needed:

spark
air and fuel
compression

Figure which one is missing - it is that simple to track it down.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bay died while driving - fuel injected auto federal model Reply with quote

Link

All joking aside. Pull the distributor cap off and inspect the points rubbing block. They can and will break off.
Good luck
Tcash
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bay died while driving - fuel injected auto federal model Reply with quote

For fun. How about some more info:

Points and condenser or electronic ignition? Was the 74 engine modified with EFI? Or an engine swap? What kind of fuel pump? Lots more questions coming.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bay died while driving - fuel injected auto federal model Reply with quote

Quote:
Trying to start the engine, it sounds like it's cranking when I turn the key, but no matter how long I let it crank or how much gas I give it, it never turns over.

It’s turning over fine, but not firing. No phut, smoke or kicking from the engine

Put a shot of ether, or starting fluid , into the air cleaner snout and see if that’s changes.

This quickly isolates it to a

Fuel problem...if it now kicks and spits, or runs for a second or two.

Ignition problem ..if it does not.

Don’t go crazy cranking it for more than a second or two, that’s won’t fix it and will bring a bad battery into the equation
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bay died while driving - fuel injected auto federal model Reply with quote

Not that this is causing problems. But I have heard that it is not good to use the accelerator pedal while starting FI engines. All the pedal does is open the throttle body, you are not increasing fuel to the injectors.

Anyway, using the pedal to start an FI engine could cause an internal backfire, and in my case it will bent my AFM door. $350 part ruined from a backfire.

Once you get back on the road, you should consider adding a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel ring in the engine compartment. Usually the first trouble shooting question is, "do you have fuel pressure?" Carb engines don't need much, but FI does. My L-jet needs to be around 35 psi. If you have 35 psi, move on to "spark". Could be something as easy as the rotor button in the distributor.

Good luck
vacilador
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Bay died while driving - fuel injected auto federal model Reply with quote

The fuse to the fuel pump was blown.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bay died while driving - fuel injected auto federal model Reply with quote

vacilador wrote:

your's had a fuse?? where Inquiring minds want to know. I might be missing something.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Bay died while driving - fuel injected auto federal model Reply with quote

vacilador wrote:

Well done. Did you fault check the fuel pump or just start by inspecting the fuse?

The 5 minute diagnostic path would read

Ether/gas into snout - engine sputters, fires, quit

>.Diagnosis - fuel delivery problem

Check for 12 V at fuel pump

> Diagnosis - no voltage

Trace voltage in reverse from fuel pump to 12 V using wiring diagram

>bad fuse found.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Bay died while driving - fuel injected auto federal model Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
vacilador wrote:

your's had a fuse?? where Inquiring minds want to know. I might be missing something.

I am assuming he has a transplanted FI system and that whoever did the swap added a fuse where it is not normally used.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Bay died while driving - fuel injected auto federal model Reply with quote

vacilador wrote:

That is where the fuel pressure gauge would have eventually helped. There could be residual pressure left in the fuel ring. But after a few attempts to start, the pressure would have dropped.

Luckily on the 914 I can hear the fuel pump, so that helps. I would guess that the bus is too long to hear it.

Congrats. However, there is a reason that the fuse blew. Over-amperage does not just happen. It might just blow again. Don't just put a bigger fuse in, you need to find the problem.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bay died while driving - fuel injected auto federal model Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
williamM wrote:
vacilador wrote:

I am assuming he has a transplanted FI system and that whoever did the swap added a fuse where it is not normally used.

That makes sense. I am putting a 100 amp one on the big wire from the starter to the dash including the alt load- so hopefully slowing down a fire after melt down- will let everyone know if it works out.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: