Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric NOT pressure brake light switch
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HyDr0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Electric NOT pressure brake light switch Reply with quote

Going to see about using an electric switch on the pedal instead of the stock pressure switches on the master.
Has anyone done this?

Before I get slammed for doing something sooooo crazy let me say that I have been building these cars for over 20 years and Im far very far from being a purist.
I use german pressure switches and masters and I still find my self having to replace the switches far to often and Im done with it.

So...I am going to do this, and thought I would check and see if anyone else has done it before.

Any info / pics would be great.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost everything has been done before. This: I've thought of doing this, but I don't weld so I tossed the idea.

Brake switches that are electrical are of the "normally open" type, then as the brake is pushed down the spring releases and the switch "closes" the circuit. So I think one would need to weld an L-shaped bracket onto the brake pedal to mate with the switch and have a stationary bracket to hold the switch in place.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Buck Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember where but I have seen a switch kit to do this conversion. Like was posted before it is a normally open (N/O) plunger switch that you will need. Check companies that supply parts for pedal assemblies and/or race car supply houses. This conversion has crossed my mind a few times. Good luck
Shane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this before (back in high-school) and it worked fine...most of the time. I used a micro switch with a roller arm and a custom bracket.

Then I grew up! Very Happy
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be careful when welding anything in, on, under, around, or through the pedal. Hanging pedal assemblies lend themselves to easier fits such as the 60's muscle cars. These cars came with pressure switches, and you could convert to electric easily. Floor pedals are different. You don't want to put ANYTHING between the pedal and the floor. You never know when you will need all that travel during a semi-catastrophic failure.

It seems highly unlikely, and I am waiting on a breakdown at any moment, but my '63 still has the original switch on it - at least from the mid-70's since I am the only one who worked on the car my uncle bought new. When it quit working a couple of years ago, I took it off and cleaned it inside with carb cleaner, tested it, re-installed it, and it's still working.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1940's -1970's GM Lever Arm Brake switch.
Ugly as hell...but Highly modifiable...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
I've done this before (back in high-school) and it worked fine...most of the time. I used a micro switch with a roller arm and a custom bracket.

Then I grew up! Very Happy

I had a lengthy thread a while back about how my brake lights were slow to come on. Fought the problem for months with about a dozen different switches, and tons of other problem solving solutions offered from folks on here and just never could get them to come on fast enough to feel safe.

So I installed a micro roller switch like Culito is talking about. Found it at RadioShack. It can actually be set up for a normally open or normally closed operation. I made a small L bracket to mount it which is mounted to one of the pedal cluster bolts. Been on for a couple of years and working great still. The output wire is T'd into the wire on the master cylinder switch, so if the electric switch ever fails, I will still have the pressure switch as a backup.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, it looks a little ghetto, but its pretty well hidden behind the gas pedal and as long as it works (brake lights come on instantly), I'm happy as can be with it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
Culito

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ That's pretty much what I did.
The problem was getting the switch adjusted just right so that it came on quickly and shut off every time.
It was a temporary fix because someone had tried to use a oil pressure sender in place of a brake light switch... Laughing
I guess I got lucky, because I found the right pressure switches (back then with my first bug and recently with my current VWs) that come on pretty much instantly. I can tell because I use a 3rd brake light that I can see in the back window.
johnnypan wrote:
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did a single blade oil pressure sending unit work on the brakes?
Culito

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drs1023 wrote:

It might have worked once - it was already exploded when I got it. Very Happy
johnnypan wrote:
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drs1023 wrote:

An oil pressure switch is "normally closed" to complete the circuit and turn on the light when there is no pressure.

A brake light switch is "normally open" and pressure would actuate/close the switch and complete the circuit.

So it wouldn't work.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
dcarlson12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no affiliation with this company but I bought and used their clutch pedal new design.
It works very well and their brake light switch probably also works well but I have no experience with it...

http://unique-parts.com/?wpsc-product=smart-brake-light-switch-assembly
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should we not be talking mechanical verses hydraulic operated switches, rather than electric switches. In both cases the switch is "electric" one operated by a mechanical device (lever arm) and other by a hydraulic pressure sensor device.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
GearHeadKeith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric NOT pressure brake light switch Reply with quote

On my own car, I found that my combination of modern 3-prong replacement brake light switches and 4-wheel disc brakes, my car needed a decent amount of pedal pressure to activate the brake lights. After having a few close-calls from nearly being rear-ended, I designed a bracket to mount a sealed electrical switch on the pedal assembly, behind the accelerator pedal. This switch is activated by depressing the brake pedal and is wired in parallel to the original hydraulic switches on the master cylinder. It is very similar to the set-up by fluxcap shown above. I’ve had it on my own vehicle since 2015.

As a move to help others with a similar problem, I worked with a local fab shop and the switch manufacturer to develop a kit for this pedal-activated brake light switch. These will fit 1958+ Volkswagen Type I, III, and Karmann Ghia using 12V electrical systems or 6V systems using LED bulbs. Please see my ad here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2140061

These kits are in stock and ready for shipment. I accept PayPal and ship USPS.
SSC trans with 3.78/2.25/1.48/1.04 & 4.12 Gleason R&P, Type IV output flanges, Berg Shifter
Topline front struts/springs/sway bar, Sway-a-Way rear bar, 4-wheel disc brakes
Owned since 1994: 3rd owner since new!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric NOT pressure brake light switch Reply with quote

GearHeadKeith wrote:
On my own car, I found that my combination of modern 3-prong replacement brake light switches and 4-wheel disc brakes, my car needed a decent amount of pedal pressure to activate the brake lights. After having a few close-calls from nearly being rear-ended, I designed a bracket to mount a sealed electrical switch on the pedal assembly, behind the accelerator pedal. This switch is activated by depressing the brake pedal and is wired in parallel to the original hydraulic switches on the master cylinder. It is very similar to the set-up by fluxcap shown above. I’ve had it on my own vehicle since 2015.

As a move to help others with a similar problem, I worked with a local fab shop and the switch manufacturer to develop a kit for this pedal-activated brake light switch. These will fit 1958+ Volkswagen Type I, III, and Karmann Ghia using 12V electrical systems or 6V systems using LED bulbs. Please see my ad here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2140061

These kits are in stock and ready for shipment. I accept PayPal and ship USPS.

I have this kit, well made, good design, and a considerable safety improvement. Sooner stop light activation is a very good thing.

Bug On Safely!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric NOT pressure brake light switch Reply with quote

Sorry guys; the needed switch should be of "normally CLOSED" type (NC).

It means the switch itself, when no mechanic action on it, stays in the closed position and stop lights are on.

The switch shall be depressed by the pedal only when it returns in its idle position, turning off stop lights.

Often those swithches do not support more than 2-3 Amperes so in a 6V system it is good to use a relay to drive 6Ampere of stop lights.

My opinion: why to complicate an already working system? The mechanical switch is prone to vibration, corrosion, pedal misalignment, and you often will be with stoplights erratically on.
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Electric NOT pressure brake light switch Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:

It means the switch itself, when no mechanic action on it, stays in the closed position and stop lights are on.

The switch shall be depressed by the pedal only when it returns in its idle position, turning off stop lights.

That’s exactly how mine above operates.

herbie1200 wrote:

My opinion: why to complicate an already working system? The mechanical switch is prone to vibration, corrosion, pedal misalignment, and you often will be with stoplights erratically on.

Because for me, the system wasn’t already working. The lights were too slow for my comfort. I had my homemade switch in my bug for 4 years before I sold the car. I also had a third brake light mounted in the rear window so I could see when the lights came on. It never once acted erratically. I have had the same setup installed on my bus for about 5 years and it is installed UNDER the floor and exposed to the elements and it has also never once acted erratically.

These switches aren’t for everyone, but for me it was easy to install and works great.

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Electric NOT pressure brake light switch Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:

Often those swithches do not support more than 2-3 Amperes so in a 6V system it is good to use a relay to drive 6Ampere of stop lights.

Many modern cars use the pedal switch, my 1972 914 Porsche does, it is superior to the pressure switch, never failed me, the Bugs pressure switch has had many failures needing replacements over this time. the pressure switch requires much more pedal travel that that on my other cars, which means less lag time for stop light activation with the modern pedal switch. With the pedal mount switch I can flash my stop lights as a warning without actually activating the brakes, cant do that with pressure stop light switch system.

reliability, faster action, ability to flash a warning without actually applying brakes are the benefits. this is the modern alternative. It is a safety issue. I want the guy behind me to have all the warning possible of my hitting the brakes, the failure rate of the pedal switch is superior to the pressure switch in my experience.

Bug On with safe stop lights.

Last edited by bluebus86 on Tue May 22, 2018 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Electric NOT pressure brake light switch Reply with quote

GearHeadKeith wrote:
On my own car, I found that .....my car needed a decent amount of pedal pressure to activate the brake lights.

I had this same situation on my 1971 about a decade ago, and I just bought two new brake light switches, and that fixed it, fine ever since. Those switches came from a local BAP parts store in Phoenix, which sadly is with us no longer....I bought essentially all of my VW parts there....
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric NOT pressure brake light switch Reply with quote

I remain on my idea; pedal switch is a nice arrangement when pedal fulcrum is up and a switch can be placed in a safe position.

Plus our cars are not so performing in braking, related to modern cars, so a bunch of milliseconds before stop lights turn on should not compromise driving safety.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: