Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 Beetle - not sure if it's worth fixing - rust (pic heavy)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iowa vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle - not sure if it's worth fixing - rust (pic heavy) Reply with quote

That is a lot of metal to replace, the entire lower 6 inches of the body needs to be replaced or at a minimum patched up in a way that it is more solid and safer to drive. If you are not looking to restore it then buying all of the metal and spending all of your free time for a year + rebuilding is probably not worth it. If you just want a safer driver then just start buying scrap metal and start welding, forget about making it look good.

The 66 I am restoring had many of the same rusty issues and front/rear damage. I rebuilt it because I love Beetles and didn't want to send another one to the crusher. But I never could have afforded to pay some one to do that and it took me a year (every weekend and most nights) just to get the metal cut out and welded in and maybe $1500 in metal and misc. parts. I love metal work so I did it out of fun. So if you would enjoy that by all means go for it! Just be aware of the time commitment, some money, and details that this type of work takes. Personally I will do it again, already planning my next salvation bug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle - not sure if it's worth fixing - rust (pic heavy) Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
carcrazed wrote:
The skill of working with rusted bolts...something you CA guys will never understand.

Nor do we want to. This should read more like "The major PITA of working with rusted bolts..."

I’d be more inclined to waste my life away with rust repair if it was a barn door bus. But a run of the mill bug that I can’t drive 12 miles in California without seeing? I’ll pass.

My local Craigslist has 42 bugs listed for under $6000. That’s not counting the cities that are within a half day drive from me. They’re literally everywhere. Why waste your time?

But hey if you need the personal satisfaction of being able to brag about your magnificent rust repair capabilities at your local cars and coffee by all means have fun.
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle - not sure if it's worth fixing - rust (pic heavy) Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
rcooled wrote:
carcrazed wrote:
The skill of working with rusted bolts...something you CA guys will never understand.

Nor do we want to. This should read more like "The major PITA of working with rusted bolts..."

I’d be more inclined to waste my life away with rust repair if it was a barn door bus. But a run of the mill bug that I can’t drive 12 miles in California without seeing? I’ll pass.

My local Craigslist has 42 bugs listed for under $6000. That’s not counting the cities that are within a half day drive from me. They’re literally everywhere. Why waste your time?

But hey if you need the personal satisfaction of being able to brag about your magnificent rust repair capabilities at your local cars and coffee by all means have fun.

Everyone has their own opinion. I also would much rather work on a solid/rust free vehicle. California is a different world than here in the Northeast. Bugs are far and few between. In my case...I got my '61 for $400 and loved to do metal work...spent around $5500 doing the work myself and materials and have a nice driver quality car that I enjoy plus the story behind it helps.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
PeteBC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle - not sure if it's worth fixing - rust (pic heavy) Reply with quote

Oi. clearly there are some strong opinions on this.

By the way, I already have a '68 Beetle that was a daily driver until someone rear-ended it a couple months ago. Shortly after I acquired a much, much nicer '69 beetle that just needed an engine and a new package tray (pans and channels are in great\solid shape, just had a leaky rear window.)

The '64 was my first Beetle, so some sentimental value is involved. My ultimate goal is to eventually switch to the '64 as my daily, even if it takes a couple years worth of repairs. I'd like to get it nice looking, but it just doesn't need to be show car quality, or flashy and the paint doesn't have to be perfect.

I made this post to get an idea of what I was in for, by attempting to get the car back on the road. I'm not planning on fixing it to sell it. I'd part out the wrecked '68 and sell the '69 before I'd get rid of an earlier bug.

Although I don't think I'd be opposed to finding an early (early 60's or earlier) body that's in a little better shape and swapping the bodies. I am very biased toward the Bahama Blue, though
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: