Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ignition barrel (-70) jammed - how do I get the it out :/ ??
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vworwhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Ignition barrel (-70) jammed - how do I get the it out :/ ?? Reply with quote

Bugger, I have to change my -70 ignition barrel, it is jammed . Can anybody supply me with information about the location of that spring, that holds the lock in place? There have been drilled holes through the lock housing by the previous owner and I presume they were intended to get access to the release spring. But where is it and how to get to it?
Anybody who has tried this precedure before??
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Type3 9/63 1500N M264 panel
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition barrel (-70) jammed - how do I get the it out :/ ?? Reply with quote

That top hole should be the one that will enable you to depress the spring. A small fine screwdriver or the end of a coat hanger will do it. If you can turn the key slightly then pull on the key with the spring pushed in.

You will probably need to ensre you have unplugged the ignition switch first and removed the ting grub screw on the underside before you can pull the ignition out though.

Good luck!
vworwhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition barrel (-70) jammed - how do I get the it out :/ ?? Reply with quote

Thanks, dude Smile.
I have found a spare type1 K profile barrel, which I think is identical with 68-70 barrels. Compared with that barrel, it should be possible to access the damn spring through the top hole, so K have been concentrating on the top hole. The line scratched on the top of the housing modt likely is line along which to expect the spring. I made this tool and have been poking around for a while wirhout luck. I can’t seem to feel the spring.
There are no screws around the barrel though, and the switch is not accessable without removing the column by the looks of it, so I can’t unplug the iginition switch, I have disconnected the battery just in case.
I wonder whether this is a possible procedure, maybe I am just wasting my time

vworwhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition barrel (-70) jammed - how do I get the it out :/ ?? Reply with quote

A picture of a 68-70 L profile barrel with the key in OFF position would actually help a great deal, taken like it was sitting in the housing (for better reference Smile...). Anyone who can help with that?
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition barrel (-70) jammed - how do I get the it out :/ ?? Reply with quote

On second thoughts you should be able to remove the barrel with the switch in situ. Did you remove the grub screw though as you will need to have that out as it hold the barrel in place.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition barrel (-70) jammed - how do I get the it out :/ ?? Reply with quote

Ignition Switch Removal/ Lock Removal
vworwhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition barrel (-70) jammed - how do I get the it out :/ ?? Reply with quote

Ignition switch removal on a ‘70 ignition boss...?
Thanks for the links. I managed to remove the lock. It turned out to be a one year only ignition boss with a slightly different lock release mechanism.
Actually the lock doesn't seem to be defekt at all, once removed it turns freely.
The inside mechanism seems to be jammed (there is no steering lock, this seems to have been removed at some stage).
Most likely it is the ignition switch that is jammed.
But how do I remove the bugger? There is a hole for the grab screw, but the screw has apperently never been put back after the last disassembly.
Anyway, the switch still won’t move. Is there another grab some other mischievous place or what is the precedure for removing it on this kind of boss?? J

vworwhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition barrel (-70) jammed - how do I get the it out :/ ?? Reply with quote

It’s out. Somebody had removed the screw and used a wedge instead in the bottom of the hole Embarassed
Should be straight forward from here. Thanks for your help !
vworwhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition barrel (-70) jammed - how do I get the it out :/ ?? Reply with quote

It was a faulty ignition switch. I replaced it with an aftermarket switch and it is working ok again, but I would prefer a proper NOS one.

Any ides where to get one for a 68-70 bus/type1/type3?
Or let me know, if you have one for sale ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: