Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RHD oval new member of the family just adopted
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mufchuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: RHD oval new member of the family just adopted Reply with quote

Qwerky

Last edited by mufchuck on Tue May 22, 2018 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
lucille66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: RHD oval value? Reply with quote

price is going to be in the eye of the beholder and whatever you think its worth. What year is the vehicle? Rust issues? Hows the pan? Hows the engine? Wiring? Interior? Brakes? Suspension? Windows/seals? Transmission? Shifter? Engine mounts? Brakes? Paint/body? Does he have records/receipts for whats been done? Something I have learned that you should keep in mind - when buying ANY used car - you NEED to assess whats been done and what still needs to be done - a lot of times, people are unloading cars because they have reached a point of no return - they don't wanna deal with it any longer - its costing too much money - its too much work - they don't wanna put in the time - you're basically just buying into someone else's long list of problems with this car. check everything you can - get it onto a lift - have a mechanic check it out, underneath will be hiding a lot of things normally not seen. At a certain point in a vehicle's life - all of the wearable parts become so used up - its now in the hands of someone's responsibility to go through the entire car and re condition everything. its at this point where a LOT of people will decide to sell because they don't wanna put in the elbow grease to get it done. it takes time, it takes money, it takes effort, it takes patience. So whats it worth? Checking online - check for similar postings - you could even get a well known insurance company to check it out for you - to see what they would agree to as far as a value. for example - I have through state farm classic car insurance on a agree value of $15k for my oval. that will set the "bar" for what its worth - just some food for thought on all of the things I have come across - take from it what you will - and happy hunting!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=438348&highlight=lucille66
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD oval value? Reply with quote

lucille66 wrote:
price is going to be in the eye of the beholder and whatever you think its worth. What year is the vehicle? Rust issues? Hows the pan? Hows the engine? Wiring? Interior? Brakes? Suspension? Windows/seals? Transmission? Shifter? Engine mounts? Brakes? Paint/body? Does he have records/receipts for whats been done? Something I have learned that you should keep in mind - when buying ANY used car - you NEED to assess whats been done and what still needs to be done - a lot of times, people are unloading cars because they have reached a point of no return - they don't wanna deal with it any longer - its costing too much money - its too much work - they don't wanna put in the time - you're basically just buying into someone else's long list of problems with this car. check everything you can - get it onto a lift - have a mechanic check it out, underneath will be hiding a lot of things normally not seen. At a certain point in a vehicle's life - all of the wearable parts become so used up - its now in the hands of someone's responsibility to go through the entire car and re condition everything. its at this point where a LOT of people will decide to sell because they don't wanna put in the elbow grease to get it done. it takes time, it takes money, it takes effort, it takes patience. So whats it worth? Checking online - check for similar postings - you could even get a well known insurance company to check it out for you - to see what they would agree to as far as a value. for example - I have through state farm classic car insurance on a agree value of $15k for my oval. that will set the "bar" for what its worth - just some food for thought on all of the things I have come across - take from it what you will - and happy hunting!

the above advice is very practical and worth paying attention to, if you are that type of owner. Nothing stated will steer you wrong - is good advice.

Thing is, I am definitely not that type. I say, if you can afford it and like what the car will bring to your life, get it... Ever own a RHD?

RHD in a LHD market is a blast. I have had a couple - 1962 Volvo P-1800, built at the Jensen factory, in the UK and a 1961 ragtop VW bug from one of the UK Caribbean islands... They are immediate attention getters, easy to learn to operate and will ALWAYS hold their value. I say, you cannot go wrong with (almost) any RHD car.

... sounds like your dream-oval functions already and then you'll have the rest of your life to make it what you want...Ahhh, just enjoy it. If you are a fussy guy, heed the words above. If you're, just out to enjoy your rarity... ENJOY IT and make it what you want, when you want.

INSURANCE: I have no special car insurance and no collision on anything - no insurance BS. I take full responsibility, which is where all the savings is realized. I don't want a loss, but if I loose, i'll fix it, the best I can and move on. If that is not possible then, I move on anyway, realizing my loss and taking the lessons-learned with me - being concerned at that time... why pay big bucks for something that may never happen.

Act like you know this life is finite.... that it is fleeting... that you only get one chance, not taking too much too seriously is my direction. If you loose your dream-oval and can't afford repairs - move in a different direction... utilize your choices, listen to your inner voices...

Worth: I'll go out on a proverbial limb and say, being a it's a RHD, it's worth a little more than a LHD vehicle in a LHD market. Check out thesamba classifieds and become familiar with that structure... check other sources. Remember, there is something wrong with every used car... my attitude is, i'll repair it... you can hem & haw and play games with your head or just get on with it and fix it the best you can.

We are all different and view things differently... helps to have a life philosophy - and no matter what it is, it'll be great to have few regrets, while cruising through life in your RHD oval.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mufchuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD oval value? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Picking it up next weekend
billb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: RHD oval value? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

INSURANCE: I have no special car insurance and no collision on anything - no insurance BS. I take full responsibility, which is where all the savings is realized. I don't want a loss, but if I loose, i'll fix it, the best I can and move on. If that is not possible then, I move on anyway, realizing my loss and taking the lessons-learned with me - being concerned at that time... why pay big bucks for something that may never happen.

My oval is registered as an antique. $30,000 worth of insurance only costs around $350 a year. If you don't plan on driving it every day I would suggest doing the same.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: RHD oval value? Reply with quote

... that is a beauty... have fun
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lucille66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: RHD oval value? Reply with quote

^^^ Great post, good vibes!!! I'm not saying to be a stickler and nickel and dime every little minute detail, just to assess the major areas of concern. ESPECIALLY when an old car like our VWs looks nice from the outside - it raises a red flag. So picking it up! Awesome! Congrats! Was this a purchase online? Or were you able to see the car in person? How did everything check out? Looks like a nice driver from the outside!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=438348&highlight=lucille66
mufchuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: RHD oval value? Reply with quote

I went to see it and gave it a coat of looking at there are a bunch of pics I posted on this site under my profile I think56 ovsl. Fat fingers I guess
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: