Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW model build topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smoothgateguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Another awesome build by Blue Baron! I can see the problem with not wanting a decklid covering up all that great detail, especially on the engine. This is a dilemma that faces every model builder at some point. The more detail you put into a model kit, the more that inevitably either gets covered up, or at least more difficult to see.

How did you get such a clean finish on the body? Is it an unpainted body using Future as a clear coat?

Nice new Avatar pic, by the way. I completely agree with the message, although my version would have a picture of a Bus!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Man your Superbug turned out awesome Baron!

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

i finally finished the Der Beetle Bus Snow Blower build - 5 month build time (but i did jump around on other projects a little bit) modifications are extensive:
- resin cast tracks
- resin cast 1500 single port engine with porsche 356 carb
- side windows, headlights, turn signals filled in
- rear window converted to "split window bug" style
- orange parts are hydraulics, pump, gear motors, distribution header, track controls
- black hose hydraulic lines run throughout ( I wanted the bag-o-snakes look )
- gigantic snow blower offset mounted on the front
- massive winch on the back for helping get folks unstuck
- 4' of snow
- woman figure for scale
- custom made decals of SKADI the Norse goddess of Winter and Destruction along with her pet Wolf = total bad ass girl !
- Ohio plate reads SKADI
- headlights and tail lights are roof mounted (the headlights are on what is left of the Der beetle Bus anntennas
- red and green rear lights are like what they put on boats so you can tell if the blower is coming or going in the dark

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I would have expected the snow cat bus to be no less insane! You take it to a level of creativity that's beyond the mortal realm!

Smoothgateguy wrote:

How did you get such a clean finish on the body? Is it an unpainted body using Future as a clear coat?

Yes. The original issue of the kit was molded in yellow. It looks dull out of the box, but the Future really transforms it. The photos don't
bring out the really crazy shine. I'll have to take some out in the sunlight.

Here's another angle.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

An amazing snow-mover!!!!!
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Hi Volkaholic - nice job on the Der Beetle Bus Snow Blower build!

That blower grew into a monster blower compared to the roll of black tape you showed us 5 months ago. Would love to see that thing blowing snow this winter.

volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

thanks so much, it was a super fun build
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

getting started on Harley Quinn Bug build - this is a Polar Lights snap together, that will certainly be glued,,, i have some crazy ideas for this one. I will keep the Harley Quinn motif. First order of business is to saw off the fenders, doors, rear apron and rear window.

Smoothgateguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Another crazy-cool kit by Volkaholic. I'm only starting to get used to the amount of thought and imagination he puts in to every build. They always end up completely one-of-a-kind projects every time.

My projects tend to follow the rules and end up being very stock looking, so I really dig someone who has the bravery to take the kit in a totally different direction.

I really like the color--bordering on stock Dove Blue. I especially like that someone has finally found a cool-looking use for Der Beetle Bus' big antennas!
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

That Polar Lights kit looks pretty interesting! Keep the ideas coming!!!

I'll do an update on the 1/16 Revell kit when time allows.....
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Back to the windows on the Revell 1/16 Split: As Bob's review posted a few pages back stated, this kit uses the interior section of headliner and sideposts to "trap" the glass in place. To make it as realistic as possible, I painted a thin edge of each glass pane black to represent the seal. Next I painted the inside section of roof on both sides of the window opening, making a uniform thickness on the inside part to again replicate the seal. Same thing on the body, black on both sides of the opening so that no plastic color could be seen when the glass goes in. The final step is to carefully fit the window glass in place with a tiny bit of white glue. After the glass fit is satisfactory, the inner roof is glued to the outer roof and the glass is installed!

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Seeing Second Air Force's big 1/16 kit reminded me of this rare kit from Monogram.

In 1970, Monogram released GOIN' BUGGY, a 1/16 scale kit that could be built as a customized sunroof Beetle, or as a Shalo street buggy. The body was removable, and the wheelbase adjustable, so the builder could physically swap bodies, switching the chassis from one car to the other.

The Beetle is loaded with all the early '70s tricks, including Hurst shifter, Grant-style steering wheel, wood dash inlays, fiberglass bucket seats, and even an EMPI rear seat insert. The outside features a full fiberglass fender, hood and decklid kit, rear scoops, bottom-hinged decklid, buggy bumpers, Cragar-style mag wheels, and a full-chrome engine with dual Weber carbs and crazy exhaust.

This particular model was found on eBay and purchased as a clean original build. I added some minor touches, including the hood and window decals, chrome trim and plug wires. The rest is how I found it.

Most of these kits had a yellow Beetle body and green buggy body, but this is a very rare version that had the colors reversed, with the Beetle body being green. For a talented builder with an interest in this style of custom VW, the sky's the limit as far as modifications and paint go. I've also pictured it alongside the AMT Superbug for a size comparison. This sucker is BIG.

Heinz Nordhoff
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I think that is the only one of those kits I've ever seen built!!
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I still have my original yellow one from my childhood, that's mostly all there. I've thought about rebuilding it and turning it into something great, but I prefer to work in 1/25 scale. Plus it would be a huge time commitment, like your KdF. Also, I'm not a good enough painter for the wild paint job I'd like to see.

SO … The green one fills the void in my collection. I'd like to blacken the window rubber like you did, but the original builder did too good of a glue job on the windows, and I'm not steady enough to paint around them.

You can probably tell that I really dig the flower power era of Volkswagendom.

Heinz Nordhoff
trh351
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Seeing Second Air Force's big 1/16 kit reminded me of this rare kit from Monogram.

In 1970, Monogram released GOIN' BUGGY, a 1/16 scale kit that could be built as a customized sunroof Beetle, or as a Shalo street buggy. The body was removable, and the wheelbase adjustable, so the builder could physically swap bodies, switching the chassis from one car to the other.

The Beetle is loaded with all the early '70s tricks, including Hurst shifter, Grant-style steering wheel, wood dash inlays, fiberglass bucket seats, and even an EMPI rear seat insert. The outside features a full fiberglass fender, hood and decklid kit, rear scoops, bottom-hinged decklid, buggy bumpers, Cragar-style mag wheels, and a full-chrome engine with dual Weber carbs and crazy exhaust.

This particular model was found on eBay and purchased as a clean original build. I added some minor touches, including the hood and window decals, chrome trim and plug wires. The rest is how I found it.

Most of these kits had a yellow Beetle body and green buggy body, but this is a very rare version that had the colors reversed, with the Beetle body being green. For a talented builder with an interest in this style of custom VW, the sky's the limit as far as modifications and paint go. I've also pictured it alongside the AMT Superbug for a size comparison. This sucker is BIG.

I've had this kit un-built since the late seventies. I found it in an old toy store in downtown Hickory NC. I was still a young teen and was visiting my grandparents. This toy store had a lot of sealed model kits from the sixties and early seventies and was getting ready to go out of business. Oh if I had only known and had deep pockets. Anyways, the kit is complete, but the box has suffered six moves, from coast to coast and now the middle. Mine is the common yellow Beetle body. Its in there somewhere, I did an inventory two years ago and sold almost 150 kits.
https://images12.fotki.com/v1667/photos/5/3806795/14340579/IMG_0001-vi.jpg
https://images15.fotki.com/v1666/photos/5/3806795/14340579/IMG_0002-vi.jpg
Some the kits out of the boxes and some that were sold
https://images44.fotki.com/v447/photos/5/3806795/14340579/IMG_0002-vi.jpg
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

It looks like you had quite a stash!

There's nothing common about the yellow GOIN' BUGGY beetle body. It's just that the green is even less common.

I too have one mint in box, still wrapped in plastic. I've never opened it so I don't know what color it is!

Heinz Nordhoff
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Harley Quinn bug update - the back tires are so huge, i had to cut the entire rear frame off and raise it 1 scale foot, on the body, i added "crotch coolers" little doors on the side that could be opened to allow air flow into the car, just in case opening a window was a crazy idea? this was factory on 1951 and 1952 Deluxe export bugs, i have never seen it done on a model - but if you think about it, if anyone needs to keep there crotch cool, it would be Harley Quinn!

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Looks sufficiently wild so far.

Heinz Nordhoff
Abformal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Link
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Radical modification, so fun to watch the progress on this one!

I do have a question about the Harley Quinn kit--it looks pretty nice out of the box, has anyone built one as a stock sedan? I'd like to build a replica of the '62 we used to have and this looks like a good starting point.

Here's a further update on the big sedan. First a couple of photos of the final pan-to-body joining.

Then it was on to fitting the engine lid, and I used the kit parts for the hinges here. They work just like the original with the exception that I couldn't figure out how to replicate the spring so I use a prop rod to hold it open.

The next step was door installation. The Revell hinges work pretty much just like the real thing if you do some careful filing, trimming and fitting first. The doors open and close perfectly if you spend some extra time getting it all aligned.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 60

Jump to: