Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

seat release cables.
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoghead5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: seat release cables. Reply with quote

my uncle has a 1967 convert. ghia. the car is very nice and we are working on fixing the little things now. the 67 had seat back release cables installed, and we can't find any information on them. how they hook up (pics) and where or even IF we can get new cables/parts. anybody know where we can find info on these accessories??

i measured once, cut it three times, and the damn thing is STILL to short!
islandghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: '67 seat release cables Reply with quote

I am attaching a pic of the seat release cables.

Quite a few years ago I bought a set from KGPR. You may have to ask the technician to look for the part in the warehouse as it may not be listed in their catalogue. You also might want to ask House of Ghia as they are always helpful to the ghia owner, or you could scour the Samba for someone parting out their '67.

I also have a schematic of "how-it-works" but can't find a soft copy. If/When I find it, I will post it for you.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
islandghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link below is the 67 owners manual which shows the seat release cable attached to the back rest (in picture 3). The rest of the cable attaches to a mechanism by the door hinge. When the door opens it basically pulls on the cable and releases the back rest.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/67ghia/6.jpg
RCTScott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: seat release cables. Reply with quote

Thank you so much for this information. At least now I know what I am looking for. Granted, it does sound like a nightmare trying to find those parts to recreate the system, once it has been removed from my car. But, I am up for the challenge if I can get lucky enough to find the parts. I hope that it is OK that I just copied those photos and used them in a want ad to see if I can find someone who has them.

Thank you again for this incredible information. You guys (and gals) who help people like me are amazing!

Sincerely,

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: seat release cables. Reply with quote

This cable-operated seat release mechanism was problematic from day one. There's a reason why VW discontinued it after only one year.

I put some effort into getting the cables in my '67 to work properly but they never did. Finally just threw 'em away...
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
RCTScott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: seat release cables. Reply with quote

I am having some success in obtaining the cables. Still looking for the seat release latch and spring for the passenger seat. Does anyone have a better picture or explanation as to how the cable attaches to the tunnel as well as the seat release latch?

Thank you again for the help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: seat release cables. Reply with quote

The cable is connected to the seat base, not the tunnel. It needs to move with the seat base as it slides forward or back.

I just posted on this topic at https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=699980. The photos posted there may help you.

I believe I need some parts where the cable connects to the bracket in the seat base. I would appreciate any information you have on those.

Here is a photo of my 1967 seat back latch:
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: seat release cables. Reply with quote

The seat back release cable has a (pot metal?) molded eyelet on the seat end which is indeed slipped over the integral hook on the seat back release latch as indicated in the photo included in the previous post.

There is a small (pot metal?) bracket that holds the cable in place against the seat, and a single hex head screw is used to mount that bracket to the tunnel side of the seat base.

The seat back release cable is routed in the groove stamped into the floorpan which arcs across the front of each floorpan half from the base of the door pillar inward toward the tunnel side of the seat base,

Unfortunatey as previously mentioned by others, this seat back release cable system does not seem to work either very well or very consistantly.
At least that's been my own personal experience anyway.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: