Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quick Release Steering Wheel / Hub Recommendations
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Raven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Quick Release Steering Wheel / Hub Recommendations Reply with quote

I'm currently working on gutting my Doka interior to add in a fullsize R&R seat and pilots seats with swivels so I can use the cab for a bed area. As I want all the space I can get for my 6'2 frame, I'd like to be able to remove the steering wheel.

Any ideas or recommendations on a wheel / hub combo would be appreciated!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel / Hub Recommendations Reply with quote

I would look to the racing world where they sell and use systems like this that are proven safe.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel / Hub Recommendations Reply with quote

once the wheel is removed, consider the wiper and signal switch arms become very vulnerable to being damaged, the wheel helps shield them from being broken. dont bump them in the night if you kick your feet or roll over., they are not too strong

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel / Hub Recommendations Reply with quote

There is a small problem. Most of the releases we install are welded to the steering shaft. On the vanagon, once it was welded you could not remove the upper steering bearing housing. Here is one that uses a bolt on adapter, so that if you did need to service the upper column, you might be able to remove the adapter. Coleman machine is a reputable company. I have not used one of the below adapters though.

http://www.colemanracing.com/Splined-Shaft-Quick-Release-Aluminum-P3677.aspx
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel / Hub Recommendations Reply with quote

The Raven

Did you ever end up doing this mod? I have a full Westy and I want to have more room to swivel the front seat (or do it easier).

Thanks! The quick connect looks cool
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel / Hub Recommendations Reply with quote

I am bumping this thread to see if this has been done with the recommended product. I am no giant, but at just over 6' it would be nice.
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel / Hub Recommendations Reply with quote

I am going to do the mod that the OP stated in this post, then I don't have to mess with the steering wheel or worry about breaking off one of my highbeam or windshield wiper stalks.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8803108#8803108

I have my van in for body and paint and once back from there, going to take it back to the welder and have him make the mod. There is probably a way to do the seat mod with bolts as well.
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel / Hub Recommendations Reply with quote

Franagon wrote:
I am going to do the mod that the OP stated in this post, then I don't have to mess with the steering wheel or worry about breaking off one of my highbeam or windshield wiper stalks.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8803108#8803108

I have my van in for body and paint and once back from there, going to take it back to the welder and have him make the mod. There is probably a way to do the seat mod with bolts as well.

Okay nice! Update the thread when you get it installed!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: